All Points East Festival 2020

7 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

That's all well and good but I think the idea of a concert budget outside of this forum would probably get laughed at. 

Very true, it would only be serious live music fans that would even consider the idea.

This forum would naturally be full of people who like live music and every member are likely to go to more music events then the average person. However, a huge amount of the ticket buying public only attend a few concerts a year and once they have bought some tickets, it will need something special for them to buy more.

The average person may not have a "concert budget" but they will have an "entertainment one" if they earn enough. That might mean that if they go to a football match, cinema, big night out etc then they just don't have the money to buy tickets. Is this not the reason why hardly any tickets go on sale in January because everyone has blown their cash on Christmas?

I and every one on here spends a lot of cash on tickets but most people just cant afford to and so make careful choices about how they spend their money.

I think the points above especially resonate for the younger crowd. If they announce Courteeners in like a months time and Community, Truck/Y Not, the catfish show in clapham common and Reading have already done an announcement then not many will actually have any money for APE. Coupled with the fact its the earliest festival (people can save up over summer for Reading/Truck and Y Not too - assuming it doesn't sell out till like July/August) they really do need to get the announcements out quickly.

6 minutes ago, gfa said:

I think the points above especially resonate for the younger crowd. If they announce Courteeners in like a months time and Community, Truck/Y Not, the catfish show in clapham common and Reading have already done an announcement then not many will actually have any money for APE. Coupled with the fact its the earliest festival (people can save up over summer for Reading/Truck and Y Not too - assuming it doesn't sell out till like July/August) they really do need to get the announcements out quickly.

Coupled with the fact nobody wants to see Courteeners

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Chavmeisterdeluxe said:

Coupled with the fact nobody wants to see Courteeners

I was going to make the LIKE courteeners more obvious but chose not to. Guess I should have (i do agree though courteeners are arsewipe)

4 minutes ago, endswithMJ said:

people get paid next week. Announcing it next week with tickets on sale is probably better for them 

Yeah, they can't let another pay day go by with out some sort of announcement. I would expect next week to be a big week for announcements of tours etc as everyone tries to get a slice of the cake.

1 minute ago, gfa said:

I was going to make the LIKE courteeners more obvious but chose not to. Guess I should have (i do agree though courteeners are arsewipe)

I have managed to stay blissfully unaware of their material. They are not played anywhere I go, or on any of the radio or TV stations I listen to or watch. I have never stumbled upon them at a festival.

I have often thought maybe I should check them out. Then, I joined efestivals and from peoples remarks about them maybe I should stay blissfully unaware 😊

15 minutes ago, Dales said:

I have managed to stay blissfully unaware of their material. They are not played anywhere I go, or on any of the radio or TV stations I listen to or watch. I have never stumbled upon them at a festival.

I have often thought maybe I should check them out. Then, I joined efestivals and from peoples remarks about them maybe I should stay blissfully unaware 😊

They basically have been carried by the success of one decent at best song which is quite relatable to a dark fruits crowd.

10 minutes ago, gfa said:

They basically have been carried by the success of one decent at best song which is quite relatable to a dark fruits crowd.

It's quite obviously more than just one song. I'm not a great lover of their music but hardly deserving of the stick they get round here. A quick listen to their latest album show there's a bit more about them than just writing them off as a one hit wonder popular with the dark fruits crowd. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

31 minutes ago, gfa said:

19 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

It's quite obviously more than just one song. I'm not a great lover of their music but hardly deserving of the stick they get round here. A quick listen to their latest album show there's a bit more about them than just writing them off as a one hit wonder popular with the dark fruits crowd. 

Pardon my ignorance but what is a dark fruit?

3 minutes ago, Dales said:

Pardon my ignorance but what is a dark fruit?

Essentially it's a generalisation of anyone who's a fan of your typical 'lad rock' bands (Oasis, Courteeners, Catfish & the Bottlemen, Blossoms etc) is a drinker of the cider Strongbow Dark Fruits as you'll find a lot of them do. So you may see them referred to as the Dark Fruits crowd or something similar.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

Essentially it's a generalisation of anyone who's a fan of your typical 'lad rock' bands (Oasis, Courteeners, Catfish & the Bottlemen, Blossoms etc) is a drinker of the cider Strongbow Dark Fruits as you'll find a lot of them do. So you may see them referred to as the Dark Fruits crowd or something similar.

Thanks, I think ☺️

I do like Oasis, Blossoms and don't mind Strongbow Dark Fruits..................

53 minutes ago, gfa said:

OI!!

I love dark fruits cider!!! I think they are the shitiest of shitty. As are Catfish & the bottlemen (who have the added shitty whiff of sexism around them. I guess i should say 'allegedly' ?!?) And Blosssoms arnt shitty as they are too dull to be.....anything.

IMHO obvs.

Edited by retromoz

2 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with liking those bands and don't let anyone on this forum tell you different. It's just a bit of a generalisation to describe those bands tho.

It's just nice to know as I had seen the term on lots of threads and was wondering what the hell are they going on about.

Thanks

35 minutes ago, retromoz said:

OI!!

I love dark fruits cider!!! I think they are the shitiest of shitty. As are Catfish & the bottlemen (who have the added shitty whiff of sexism around them. I guess i should say 'allegedly' ?!?) And Blosssoms arnt shitty as they are too dull to be.....anything.

IMHO obvs.

What is sexist about Catfish & the Bottlemen?

1 hour ago, Superunknown said:

It definitely is down south and even that one song got barely a singalong last time they played Reading.

1 minute ago, Chavmeisterdeluxe said:

It definitely is down south and even that one song got barely a singalong last time they played Reading.

They've always been a band predominantly popular in the north of England. I'm not overly keen but even I know Bide Your Time, What Took You So Long?, You Overdid It Doll etc. 

1 hour ago, ThomasOliver said:

maybe their waiting for Lana to win her 1st Grammy before they drop her onto the lineup 🤞🏻

Can't help but feel her UK dates will have to pass first. They're mid feb. Surely thats too late. Seems weird to announce for it before doing arena gigs which will cost more (close to £100 FV at O2 i believe, but could be wrong).

I wish I had never asked about Dark Fruits.........

So back to APE, do we really have any idea who to expect as the other headliners?

There seems to be a growing opinion that Massive Attack are likely and even if that is correct that still leaves 3 to fill.