All Points East Festival 2020

1 minute ago, the wonderwhy said:

Nah I meant they’re highly unlikely to do both APE and BST on the same day- and if APE is scheduled around Time Out then it’s done for the week

Ah, that makes sense. 

I can't believe they're going to leave it another week though.

To get to 28 January with only 2 days of 6 announced for a May fest? Seems like commercial suicide and for a festival that's had difficulties selling tickets.

EOTR is announcing today and that's not til August!

35 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Ah, that makes sense. 

I can't believe they're going to leave it another week though.

To get to 28 January with only 2 days of 6 announced for a May fest? Seems like commercial suicide and for a festival that's had difficulties selling tickets.

EOTR is announcing today and that's not til August!

I wouldn't be surprised to see two names next week - then we're (somewhat) up to speed, with a further two in Feb. 

4 minutes ago, endswithMJ said:

I’ve heard 28th or 31st for an announcement

28th with tickets on sale 31st makes perfect sense - Tuesday next week. 

3 minutes ago, endswithMJ said:

I’ve heard 28th or 31st for an announcement

Thanks for the information, so that will be another week that goes by with other festivals/concerts taking money out of peoples pockets.

6 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

Must be confident they've got the headliners to sell it. Otherwise I'm baffled.

I had the same thought but as time goes by and after reading what was posted in Sziget thread about the promoter talking about the difficulty of getting headliners in August. That basic premise of lack of headliners, competition to many festivals and cost must ring true for all festivals. So do they have them in place? 

I must be a bit slow, its just dawned on me that BST has released 4 of their 6 headliners and that's not until July and they have already sold out one date Pearl Jam.

I know they have bigger acts but surely that would be a reason for APE to get theirs on sale early before there is a flood of other events to choose from.

I don't even know why am even bothered as there is only one date out of the unannounced ones that I can make anyway. (That will be the worst one) 😊 Please put me out of my misery and let me know who is playing, so I can spend my money on another event.

On 1/20/2020 at 9:12 PM, Guy Incognito said:

DICE were giving tonnes out for free.

On 1/20/2020 at 9:14 PM, Gilgamesh69 said:

And show film first were selling some tickets for like £3.50ish

Thanks both! I'll keep an eye out... would probably pay for the Tame Impala ticket anyway but there's no sense in rushing if this is a potential option.

Is there really a strong correlation between day of sale and final number of attendants? It might just be too small to make a difference in the budget. I know, we all have the experience of skipping a good show because we have booked something else, but still... How many of you have bought for Kraftwerk but would not if it was announced now?

1 minute ago, emmanuel said:

Is there really a strong correlation between day of sale and final number of attendants? It might just be too small to make a difference in the budget. I know, we all have the experience of skipping a good show because we have booked something else, but still... How many of you have bought for Kraftwerk but would not if it was announced now?

I think it's a bigger issue for those coming from overseas, who need to book flights etc that can't be unwound. Not too bad for APE on this point.

But intuitively it must make some difference. 

People also have a mental budget of what they are willing to spend on concerts and if they've already spent a lot, they are less likely to buy another ticket unless the lineup is outstanding.

I don't see how APE can produce really outstanding lineups, based on realistically who is out touring then.

They will struggle for sales this year and the late announcements will hurt them.

13 minutes ago, emmanuel said:

I bought Kraftwerk because they went on sale early. If they had not gone on sale when they did, I would not be going as I would have bought Guns N Roses tickets instead. As it turned out when GNR announced a second date I got tickets for that but if APE had tickets on sale before GNR for the Saturday, I may have bought them aswell. The GNR thing is a bit of a clash but whether its the same date or not I spent a lot of money on them. So that was a big chunk of my "concert budget". I only have X amount of money to spend on concerts and once it is spent its gone and as xxialac has said it will now take something special for me to part with more cash.

While APE have been messing around not announcing, I have committed to other events/festivals. This morning, I bought Foals tickets. If APE had announced a date that interested me last week/this week then that cash may have gone their way. If I had failed to get Foals tickets today then I had in mind Bombay Bicycle Club tickets at Radio 6 Music. But at the moment APE is not an option but I ploughing through this years budget.

8 minutes ago, xxialac said:

People also have a mental budget of what they are willing to spend on concerts and if they've already spent a lot, they are less likely to buy another ticket unless the lineup is outstanding.

I don't see how APE can produce really outstanding lineups, based on realistically who is out touring then.

They will struggle for sales this year and the late announcements will hurt them.

I agree with all the above.

• Upvote 1

That's all well and good but I think the idea of a concert budget outside of this forum would probably get laughed at. 

A lot of people go to events like this on a bit of a whim, its why the free/cheap tickets are pretty effective and they're fine doing it because at least it gets people on site where they can appease vendors and charge through the roof for a pint.