All Points East Festival 2020

SomeoneListeningIn

18 hours ago, xxialac said:

It makes zero commercial sense for them to make an announcement now. They won't make an announcement.

I thought there would be one big announcement before Christmas by somebody somewhere but obviously not.

I recall back in 2017 that quite a lot of things were announced in January - that's when I got my tickets to The Killers at BST Hyde Park, and when U2 announced the Twickenham Joshua Tree gigs - but I'm not sure there'll be much until later to the end of the month... right?

Surely, it would have made sense for APE to have released some more names by now? I can't be the only person with a wide taste in music who bought Kraftwerk tickets but then had the dilemma that Guns N Roses announced a gig on that day.

I was fairly confident that GNR would add another date as the days between shows on the tour pointed to a second date being announced. So, I got my GNR tickets for saturday. So dilemma solved I get to see both Kwafwerk/Iggy & GNR. I  was a little worried that they might not as I did not expect to get much on a re-sale of the Kraftwerk tickets if I chose to go with GNR. It was Iggy that made me hold out praying for a second GNR date.

If APE had announced the saturday before I knew about GNR they may have got a second set of tickets out of me if they had announced another big act such as Arcade Fire.

Last year, I had already bought Muse tickets before they announced Mumford & Sons. No dilemma that day as hands down Muse trumps Mumford 🙂 

For what its worth, I think the GNR dates will batter sales of APE tickets as they get a big cross section of fans including those in to more alternative/festival style acts. GNR will pull potential customers away from APE in the way that other big rock acts might not.

I think they could have sold a few extra tickets if they had released the May 30th headliner before GNR.

For a festival that has struggled a little to shift tickets in the past it is a little naive to not get your tickets out before a heavy weight like GNR announces. Surely the smart thing would have been to announce Kwarfwerk/Iggy first before Tame Impala.

There is almost saturation now with the amount of outdoor gigs/festivals to choose from. APE may well find by the time they have announced all there headliners a lot of people will  have already spent their gig budget or already purchased alternative events. Get in early and get that money in your tills before people get choosy about which concerts to add to their summer itinerary. The 2 GNR gigs at Tottenham and the 2 Killers At arsenal a week later will pull cash out of a lot of pockets. Those tickets are not cheap. One set of either Guns N Roses or Killers Tickets each cost almost as much as a 4 Day Mad Cool Ticket.

Not sure why you think GNR fans would not go to APE events and maybe a lot would not especially the younger crowd. But, I live and work in Hackney and know lots of people who have attended APE days over the 2 years. The good or bad thing about APE is that as yet it does not have a fully defined music policy.

I want APE to do well, its in walking distance from me and I like the fact it books a variety of acts but for some reason it does not sell as well as maybe it should do. I dont know why that is but I know GNR/Muse fans who have bought APE tickets before. For what its worth most went to Nick Cave, The Strokes & Chemicals and they paid for the tickets. As a local, I know a lot of tickets get handed out free.

GNR will not draw away the young cool kids to see some old rockers who have not had a record out in donkeys years. However, older music fans with lots of cash to spend may give APE a miss on the GNR days and for a new festival that can not be good unless image and cool crowd is everything.

I guess when I see Kwarfwerk/Iggy i will get an idea if sales have been effected on that day as I know what the crowd sizes for many of the previous APE fridayhave been

I went to Bring Me the Horizon (Freebies, rude not to) and I 100% agree I can not see many who attended on that day missing out on BMTH or IDLES to see GNR. I must admit I did feel old on that day

Maybe, I am not the kind of older punter APE want.

53 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Get them to bring Young Fathers along but with a higher slot this time

At Hyde Park they played during the same set didn’t they? They can’t get any higher a slot. :P

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Hmm, Tame Impala, Massive Attack, Kraftwerk are not exactly ginormous ticket sellers so far.

Is All Points East doomed to bad ticket sales?

Picked the wrong festival if you want massive headline acts over rock solid bills.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Hmm, Tame Impala, Massive Attack, Kraftwerk are not exactly ginormous ticket sellers so far.

Is All Points East doomed to bad ticket sales?

Most of my lot are holding off buying tickets as we're obviously all assuming that there will be countless cheap/free tickets again. 2019's bad sales have really fucked it for APE I reckon. I'd be very surprised if anyone pulled the trigger now, knowing that there will most likely be hundreds of free tickets closer to the event.

Of course this free/discounted ticket thing isnt new. I've been fortunate enough to see both Blur and Kendrick Lamar for less than a tenner each but APE 2019 was definitely the most high profile case.

9 minutes ago, Guy Incognito said:

Most of my lot are holding off buying tickets as we're obviously all assuming that there will be countless cheap/free tickets again. 2019's bad sales have really fucked it for APE I reckon. I'd be very surprised if anyone pulled the trigger now, knowing that there will most likely be hundreds of free tickets closer to the event.

Of course this free/discounted ticket thing isnt new. I've been fortunate enough to see both Blur and Kendrick Lamar for less than a tenner each but APE 2019 was definitely the most high profile case.

BST seem to have pulled it back after they had a few years of freebie tickets, but I don't think these headliners are sufficiently huge or rare enough to have people rushing to book tickets in advance.

I think the Tame Impala day will do well because it's an exclusive and they'll be riding the wave of a new album, but having so many people obviously be on freebies last year will put a lot of people paying full price. There's nothing I've seen so far that's making me frantic to grab the credit card.

Edited by jannybruck

I think you’re right. Too many people know about it now and it’s caught on. All three of these acts are not do or die purchase options. 

It’s just a shame because I feel the only thing to save it is to book a big ticket seller which will have tickets flying off the shelves. 

We'll see but I'm seeing it a lot like a free trial of a product. They dished out these tickets via their sponsors to people who may not have initially heard about the festival and they get tens of thousands of people through the gates who might not have normally gone, kind of a hail-mary to raise considerable awareness. It's a risky strategy but it's a multi-million dollar company who can back it up, as they did with BST.

People aren't going to stop going to APE because it's no longer free. The other festivals out there aren't really doing much to dissuade the APE audience from going as they move more central. I just don't see it to be in as dire straits as you guys are making it out to be. Tame Impala should sell pretty heavily (anecdotal but I know a bunch of peeps who have bought tickets to that), Kraftwerk I think will do alright, Massive Attack will be more dependent on the lineup but they sold arenas well enough.