All Points East Festival 2020

SomeoneListeningIn

4 hours ago, huntyyy said:

I'd say playing High Violet distinguishes the show enough to justify coming back after 2 years, but whether they will or not i wouldn't be so sure. Could be that they've been roped in after the NIN pull out.

Is the other potential option just playing their own show at an Ally Pally or even Wembley Arena?

I do agree it would be very soon for them to do both the first and third APE events, but it does otherwise make logical sense.

Be something as I wanted to go to the 2018 show but had a few clashes (and somehow ended up seeing them in Milan with Franz Ferdinand instead). But I do think its too soon, even if they're already returning to both Primavera and BKS after doing both in '18, and likely treating both to a High Violet in full show.

Edited by charlierc

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Festival bookers are different though. For some fests, acts come back around quickly, for others they don't.

Saying that, APE do actually seem like the types to be pretty desperate for acts - certainly more so than BKS or PS - so I guess it wouldn't be all that surprising. Would tie up nicely with the next announcement being this week and the tour ending tomorrow night.

With Johnny Marr back and bumped up for no reason next year after supporting Strokes I can't say the National seem particularly unlikely to be honest.

Surely The National won't do a third year on the trot of big outdoor UK (London) festivals - they coheadlined BST with Florence last year remember? Everyone who would want to see them will have seen them, plus I swear they did a small UK tour last year also? I'm surprised the band don't want a break but I'm sure casual fans might. 

33 minutes ago, gfa said:

With Johnny Marr back and bumped up for no reason next year after supporting Strokes I can't say the National seem particularly unlikely to be honest.

I don't doubt the organisers could still put them on but they've got to understand that it might not sell well, even if they are playing a new show.

For the record, if Royal Blood finally put out an album or at least a handful of singles, APE would be a great place to show them off with a strong undercard. Plus, I genuinely would go and see Wolf Alice Headline, again with a strong sub, I think same applies with new material plus the Mercurry Prize has go to have elevated them to closer to an APE headliner, just think about Christine and the Queens Last year. Surely a Wolf Alice headline makes way more sense than that. Would it be inconceivable to have WA sub RB? With Slaves a bit further down? That would sort me right out. If did the same to IDLES and Johnny Marr and put them third that day I think they'd be in with a winner.

On 12/10/2019 at 7:45 AM, eFestivals said:

yeah, probably.

I was just passing on what i was told (another one this week), which is from the same guy who told me about the other APE ones and the BST announcements.

I'm wondering if the announcement has been rescheduled, and perhaps because tickets didn't shift for the 2nd announcement at the levels they'd expected - because people's thoughts for money are on xmas.

Cos it seems to be the case that the announcement & tickets for a show from another promoter that was due this week has been rescheduled to the end of January - and while there's a cover story for that the story doesn't really make sense.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

Cos it seems to be the case that the announcement & tickets for a show from another promoter that was due this week has been rescheduled to the end of January..

Is it a "Primavera-like" act? Because PS seems to have postponed their Line-Up release to the end of January, too.

3 minutes ago, Jon F said:

Do people generally just buy individual days for this?  We're in Newcastle and fancy the Friday but it's a long trip for a day.  Hoping the Saturday/Sunday are worthwhile so we can make more of an event out of it.

Mostly day tickets. I'd say it being london, even if you dont fancy the other day you can find something else to do in town!

27 minutes ago, Jon F said:

Do people generally just buy individual days for this?  We're in Newcastle and fancy the Friday but it's a long trip for a day.  Hoping the Saturday/Sunday are worthwhile so we can make more of an event out of it.

We're not London-based so tend to go for the full weekend.   Last year we did the first weekend and then came back for one night the 2nd weekend.  This year we stayed both weekends and did all 6 nights.

Put off a bit by the sound problems with The Strokes - truly like nothing I've ever come across before.  Whilst it never got that bad again, sound levels overall were seriously down on the year before and I suspect interference from the residents may have ruined this festival already.  

1 hour ago, Jon F said:

This year I went to 4/6 days, last year I did 5/6. It can be a nice little weekend, it's a good way to start the festival season. I think if you buy tickets for different days all at once you get a discount too, so maybe you should wait til they've announced more. 

• Upvote 1

There's a new instagram profile for Talking Heads. While this could very well mean nothing (an official insta profile for The Smiths materialised a few years back), Remain in Light turns 40 next year and I don't think David Byrne is touring as much as he was. If they were to reunite, this must be the place (sorry) for them, surely?

1 minute ago, RaphPH said:

oh wow! :D

nerdy fact: Belew was supposedly once offered David Byrne's job in Talking Heads (Byrne didn't know) - as well as playing on the Remain In Light (and more) tours.

I hope they make the UK. Harrison is the only member I haven't 'collected' yet.

And because we'rte talking Belew and Talking Heads, it's obligatory for me to insert this here feckin' excellent toon...