All Points East Festival 2020

SomeoneListeningIn

I think Biffy will be at a bunch of smaller festivals and Foals will be at one bigger festival (or failing that, Latitude). Some good shouts about though. Here's some top-threes.

alt-J, Flume, Chvrches
Tame Impala, Haim, Anderson Paak
Portishead, Robyn, M83

Royal Blood, Pixies, Bloc Party
Blur, PJ Harvey, Belle & Sebastian
The Black Keys, Vampire Weekend, Savages

12 minutes ago, maxdillon7 said:

could see foals play this

yannis also has ties with yala! records, who have a stage this year- so might make it even more likely// support from people like everything everything, yak etc 

Maybe but it's hard to imagine anyone being terribly excited about that prospect. Surely, after this summer, people will want more of an 'event' from Foals than another one-day headline show in London.

2 hours ago, maxdillon7 said:

what do you mean by “‘event’”? 

(also a side note, they haven’t played a one-day london festival since citadel in 2017/ and by 2020, they’ll have had two albums out- as much as i think i agree with your point, i wouldn’t rule it out)

Not sure how best to describe it but headlining Reading and Leeds again, or IOW or Glasto would be an ‘event’, if we continued using that term. This year they’re doing about ten open air fests and shows in the UK and a headline date at APE would just be a continuation of that.

As you say, they played Victoria Park a couple of years ago. It’d just be pretty boring even with a bunch of new songs. They headlined Reading a few years ago too but then establishing themselves there is at least a bit more interesting.

13 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I think Biffy will be at a bunch of smaller festivals and Foals will be at one bigger festival (or failing that, Latitude). Some good shouts about though. Here's some top-threes.

alt-J, Flume, Chvrches
Portishead, Robyn, M83

it wouldn't be a true efestivals prediction without the involvement of Portishead and Blur

• Like 2

13 hours ago, maxdillon7 said:

could see foals play this

yannis also has ties with yala! records, who have a stage this year- so might make it even more likely// support from people like everything everything, yak etc 

You could say the same with Citadel and Communion with Mumford, but alas...

On 4/10/2019 at 10:36 PM, dentalplan said:

alt-J, Flume, Chvrches
Portishead, Robyn, M83

Christ that second weekend is like something out of my wettest dreams.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2019 at 10:19 AM, Hugh Jass said:

I’m holding out a lot of hope that Pulp will be back on the scene next year. It feels about right for them to return.

Someone on here said they’d recently heard rumours of it being forthcoming, but that’s pretty much all so not to get too excited yet.

I was considering adding them in that prediction on the last page but replaced ‘em with Blur as I think they are more likely to reunite and also to play this, whereas Pulp could be a bit more versatile.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2019 at 10:36 PM, dentalplan said:

alt-J, Flume, Chvrches
Portishead, Robyn, M83

Black Keys is a big shout 

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Nah

I hope not just so theres a bigger variety of acts, but based on 2 days selling appallingly and 2 other days having fair amounts of tickets being given away plus the sound issues which put people off who went on the days that actually sold well, they are definitely going to have a tough decision. I am excited though as APE has always got cool acts.

3 hours ago, gfa said:

I hope not just so theres a bigger variety of acts, but based on 2 days selling appallingly and 2 other days having fair amounts of tickets being given away plus the sound issues which put people off who went on the days that actually sold well, they are definitely going to have a tough decision. I am excited though as APE has always got cool acts.

It’s a huge corporation that battled to get the site for this festival - it won’t be retreating to its shell after some bad sales. They wouldn’t be giving away tickets if they weren’t trying to boost awareness of the festival for future years. They’re more likely to rethink who it’s targeted to than shrink the event, but I don’t think they’ll do that either just yet.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

It’s a huge corporation that battled to get the site for this festival - it won’t be retreating to its shell after some bad sales. They wouldn’t be giving away tickets if they weren’t trying to boost awareness of the festival for future years. They’re more likely to rethink who it’s targeted to than shrink the event, but I don’t think they’ll do that either just yet.

They had 2 bad selling days last year too - Bjork and Catfish. I bet they're surprised that Mumfords has sold so badly this year, but the money that they make from the punters (drinks, food, merch and programmes) will probably make up for the lack of money that they are making from sales.

2 minutes ago, chilirocker said:

They had 2 bad selling days last year too - Bjork and Catfish. I bet they're surprised that Mumfords has sold so badly this year, but the money that they make from the punters (drinks, food, merch and programmes) will probably make up for the lack of money that they are making from sales.

The sponsors will bring more cash into the fest than things like merch etc and a low punter turnout decreases things like drinks, food etc but it varies depending on what they are using as a model which is either they take a percentage of sales or charge a pitch fee for the concessions sellers. Also with all of the free tickets being handed out it will put a dent into the VIP upgrades which is nice money maker for them. The profit margins are lot more thin than people realise for festivals as you have to pay for the police, utilities etc which easily runs into the millions. 

57 minutes ago, chilirocker said:

Catfish and Bjork certainly weren't on the scale of BMTH and CATQ though were they? I don't remember free tickets being given out in their 1000s?

EDIT: or were they just trying to maintain the ticket's value? checked the thread from last year and no free tickets.

Edited by gfa

44 minutes ago, gfa said:

Catfish and Bjork certainly weren't on the scale of BMTH and CATQ though were they? I don't remember free tickets being given out in their 1000s?

EDIT: or were they just trying to maintain the ticket's value? checked the thread from last year and no free tickets.

No free tickets but there was a few £2.50 Bjork tickets. Think there was a reduced capacity for Catfish, but not 100% sure about that.