Is anyone else still waiting to get properly excited?

kalifire

I've been to 7 Glastonburies, as well as loads of other fests and gigs, but decided not to try for a ticket this year. All my usual krew got their tickets (bar 1 but we'll try for him in the resale) so they're all excited.

I decided not to try cos I can't drink anywhere like I've been able to in the past and I just feel like it's time to not go, at least for a while, to try and get that love back for the place and to try and imagine bimbling around it while being near-sober. I just can't see my relaxing enough to enjoy it. I'm an introverted person and alcohol really helps with that, but I'd be on alert all the time without it (far less than before, anyway).

I'm sort of looking for the excitement to build up just like some of you, in the hope it'll make me try for a ticket! Not feeling it yet though, even though I'm still following the threads on here :)

Also, so many of the acts (headliner or not) I'm not fussed about, and if I'm honest I feel like I've seen everyone I want to see... as anyone who's been knows, that's not really the draw, but still...

(God I sound oooooold I'm only 41!)

Our lot are excited - just today tried figuring out the transport arrangements between the 9 of us, ready for balance payment and car park ticket buying. It's 3 by train and 2 cars at the mo, but to ramp up the excitement, daughter is going to bung 7  tents in her tiny car and see if 4 people can fit. Yes, we are mega excited.

I'm still ticketless, but I'm not sure that has completely sunk in yet. I have watched some vlogs etc and still feel like I have a ticket. It's weird. I don't like it.

Might take the dogs for a 2 hour drive and a run around the farm at the weekend though!!

Yes there’s definitely been a dip in excitement and less chatter amongst our group in the last two months, can’t even bring myself to share with them the latest gossip I get from here. Reading some great old archived posts and favourite segments from the Tort’s is good to get you thinking/obsessing about it again. I’m all about planning and prepping so am craving any new info at the moment. 

Edited by HeyPorter

Only two of us have tickets (out of 7), so its a little downbeat at the moment, as not really being talked about between us.  I did get a ticket in the coach sale, and was not sure at the time whether I wanted to go via coach, but turned out a good decision, as we did not get a sniff in the main sale.  Still, this forum is helping to build up teh excitement a bit for me.

5 hours ago, kalifire said:

I feel quite weird about the festival this year. I know it’s amazing and I know I’ll have a fantastic time, but the real sense of excitement hasn’t kicked in yet. Can anyone else relate?

I think the fallow year has a lot to do with it. I’ve not waited through one before and 2017 seems sooo far away. The rumours for this year aren’t thrilling me either, especially given the prospect of Macca just a few weeks ago. I’m also on the other side of the word so it’s hard to keep up with eFests Bant (TM). 

So I need something to kick my excitement into gear. Tips, perhaps videos, are welcome. 

Apologies for the downer. 

Oh you just wait, you will look back on this calmness with disbelief. It is your body and brain just getting prepared

I'm gagging for it. Reading lineup rumours on here is part of the excitement for me. It comes in waves, and is related to rumours / timing of poster / map drops.

My problem is that the rest of my group aren't. It's several months away, and I feel like a dick when every time I see them I just want to talk about the latest rumours, where we might camp, endless other things...

2 of our group are newbies, so don't entertain this chat at all.

I didn’t get tickets in the sale (first time I’ve ever failed) and then I kind of did get a ticket through strange means, and now finally I’m definitely confirmed in for Oxfam stewarding: so right now I’m like a dog with many dicks! 

Next goal for me: getting to 100 days til the festival. That’s about three and a half weeks away. Little steps . . . 

6 hours ago, Rubber Soldier said:

I’d say I’m about a 6/10 for excitement just now. Don’t think I’ll be able to fully commit to the hype until @SwedgeAntilles has a ticket. 

tenor.gif

5 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

@SwedgeAntilles should be guaranteed a ticket on the back of his eFests name alone

Agreed, can we make that a rule? 

Half my Glastonbury crew have already bailed, none of the three rumoured headliners really float my boat, I've got a fucking Phd to somehow submit before the gates open and I'm becomingly increasingly distressed about what this terribly mild winter means for the Glasto week's weather situation.....but, despite all of that shit, I can 100% confirm that I am still deliriously excited :D

Good job I do have all that other crap going on to mellow me out a bit really, or I'd probably be totally unbearable :lol:

• Like 2

At the moment fairly subdued, partly because of the post-Christmas info lull but mainly because as it stands only myself and Mrs Jass have tickets in our group, which means no fevered pub discussions with my mates over speculation (Mrs Jass is sick of hearing me talk about it).

Hopefully after the resale I’ll have a few more people to get excited with.

I'm excited about being excited. Excited about new park layout, arcadia changes, expanded block9, Rob da Banks involvement etc. 

Really kicks in when you get the lineup and the areas start to update their pages on the official site. And I start checking the weather from mid March. 

I'm pretty out of touch so listening to acts on the lineup who I haven't heard properly then raises it a level as I get to like new music. 

7 hours ago, Room to sway said:

I've been to 7 Glastonburies, as well as loads of other fests and gigs, but decided not to try for a ticket this year. All my usual krew got their tickets (bar 1 but we'll try for him in the resale) so they're all excited.

I decided not to try cos I can't drink anywhere like I've been able to in the past and I just feel like it's time to not go, at least for a while, to try and get that love back for the place and to try and imagine bimbling around it while being near-sober. I just can't see my relaxing enough to enjoy it. I'm an introverted person and alcohol really helps with that, but I'd be on alert all the time without it (far less than before, anyway).

I'm sort of looking for the excitement to build up just like some of you, in the hope it'll make me try for a ticket! Not feeling it yet though, even though I'm still following the threads on here :)

Also, so many of the acts (headliner or not) I'm not fussed about, and if I'm honest I feel like I've seen everyone I want to see... as anyone who's been knows, that's not really the draw, but still...

(God I sound oooooold I'm only 41!)

Come June you might regret it. I spend most of the festival near sober, just a few pints during the day and another few late night. I get high on the atmosphere and that’s not changed for years and I’m older than you and probably just as introverted . I treat every year as if i might never be successful again in getting tickets so enjoy it to the limit. 

Just think of all the good times you’ve had and go for the resale , you know it makes sense!

1 hour ago, Sasperella said:

Half my Glastonbury crew have already bailed, none of the three rumoured headliners really float my boat, I've got a fucking Phd to somehow submit before the gates open and I'm becomingly increasingly distressed about what this terribly mild winter means for the Glasto week's weather situation.....but, despite all of that shit, I can 100% confirm that I am still deliriously excited :D

Good job I do have all that other crap going on to mellow me out a bit really, or I'd probably be totally unbearable :lol:

Are you excited about scrolling past Mr. Mrs. Miss. Ms. and hitting Dr. on yer online forms?

• Like 1

I can totally relate @kalifire This year will be my ninth festival and it's probably the least excited I've been at this stage. I put this down to a few things really, but am really hoping that come line-up time my excitement levels will ramp up. I care less and less about the line-up as I get older, but once you see that poster it all feels a lot more real and you can start filling out clashfinders and etc. I love to plan who I'm going to see even if I inevitably won't!

The fallow year might have had an impact, although after the last fallow year in 2012 I was absolutely chomping at the bit for 2013, still an absolute belter of a year. Back then though I still had a big Glastonbury crew and we all got tickets together. Now four of those have had children they don't want to bring to the festival and/or left the country and one has, devastatingly, passed away last year. I've actually been going without them all there for a couple of fests now, but it's increasingly hard to maintain that excited momentum alone (even if I was always the most excited/boring them to tears in the group). This year it will just be me and my partner and a couple of friends we'll see there, rather than camp with, and although my partner enjoys it he only started going in 2015 and he can never get that excited about things far in advance. I'm usually doing his head in by now, though.

For me a lot of it is down to personal stuff, I reckon. Last year I was too busy with life (bereavement, buying a flat, decorating, work) to really miss it and Green Man proved a great little substitute. I very much approached the ticket sale expecting to fail and in part I think I am in shock still that I was successful - it seemed such a long shot for my now tiny group.

Thing is, despite all that, I've always known I desperately wanted to go this year and intellectually I'm delighted I am. I'm just waiting for that to kick in on the proper emotional level. I hate this time of year anyway. I think when the sun comes out more consistently then my heart will start to turn festivalwards.

Appreciate this is an annoying read for the ticketless! I've been in your shoes twice so I do know. But you shall go to the ball :)

Edited by Zoo Music Girl
  • Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Sasperella said:

ooo what's your PhD on? Got a couple years till I have to submit but already looking forward to getting it done and getting a big-boy job ?