Best Transportation for a Kid

MrHew

One for the parents out there. We're looking into options on how to get our 5 year old around site in the evenings. We want it to be something she can sleep in. 

What's best? A 4 wheel trolley or a 3 wheel bike trailer. From what we've seen of the bike trailers so far they don't have much leg room for laying down to sleep.

Any advice would be ace. Ta x 

Edited by MrHew

When our 2 were younger we used one of these type of bike trailers

image.jpg.9a9509dadc8e74ea9266ae1f72820949.jpg

We decorated with fairy lights so was easy to be seen at night.

I found it easier as it was pushing rather than pulling like with a trolley.

Still have it to use as transport for stuff to/from car

1 hour ago, dondo said:

That's what our friend kindly lent us.. and yes we decorated with fairy lights. Just the job to avoid too much bumping into people. It was a godsend having the bike trailer and our wee one was able to sleep if we padded it out a bit inside.

Edited by Boris

2 hours ago, dondo said:

1 hour ago, Boris said:

That's what our friend kindly lent us.. and yes we decorated with fairy lights. Just the job to avoid too much bumping into people. It was a godsend having the bike trailer and our wee one was able to sleep if we padded it out a bit inside.

Thanks for the reponses. Was there enough space for snuggling down then? That's the buggy really.

Also, doesn't look like a lot of room around those wheels if it's a muddy one. 

3 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Trolly is best mate. If it gets muddy however (2016 muddy) then I hope you’ve been lifting weights. It will be a mess. Note: we’re also bringing a 5 year old this year. Looking into junior wetsuits.

Hahaha. I'm about as strong as a parsnip so need a dry one!

1 minute ago, MrHew said:

Thanks for the reponses. Was there enough space for snuggling down then? That's the buggy really.

Hi there 

If it's only 1 child then I would say there's plenty space for snuggling down with the aid of blankets cushions etc.

We never used it at Glastonbury but did at other festivals and it managed fine in the mud though didn't have any epic muddy ones. 

Just Google bike trailers and see if there's any that look better tyre wise

• Upvote 1

No idea if this would be suitable or not, but you may as well have a look at it (see link below). Also, I'd be tempted to look second hand on ebay for something suitable, if it's only going to be used for Glastonbury. Those ones above look like they'd be a fair price to pay new.

https://oypla.com/sports-leisure/outdoor-sports/bike-trailer-trolley-with-coupling-pneumatic-tyre-90l-cargo?gclid=Cj0KCQiAtbnjBRDBARIsAO3zDl86LZxJAFEUg-yC6RaSnKyM_Ew3gGZZG-ZvfFpar3eXiB2FeJK0eR4aAjRYEALw_wcB

Edited by Yoghurt on a Stick
Forgot to say - it would be useful for bringing stuff in to and from site too.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/20/2019 at 9:34 PM, MrHew said:

The wheels are fairly big. I doubt you'll find anything better in the price bracket tbh.

23 minutes ago, Quark said:

EDIT - just don't take them up to the Glastonbury sign...

Apologies for going hugely off topic, but I’ve started watching the re-runs of Deep Space Nine on horror tv at 7pm each weeknight, and want to take this opportunity to say how much I like Quark ??? he’s such a knobhead! 

It does make me think of this forum when I see him too, you don’t seem to post like he would though (which is strange) 

Same situation here. This year will be the first Glastonbury with a 4 year old in tow.

There are a few guides around, https://www.festivalkidz.com/advice/festival-trolley-festival-wagon/ to read though it is trolley biased.

I went back and forth between a bike trailer and a trolley and ended up with one like the trolley here. Still don't know if its the right solution, but I hope to have time to customise it into some kind of funky car worthy of the festival, it seemed like a better starting point.

At the moment, although 4 YO is growing fast, he can lie down in it for sleeping so it ticks that box. Also if gets a punctures, spare wheels are cheap enough on  ebay so I will take one or two extra with. Its 4 bolts and a split pin to change the whole wheel rather than a lot of faff trying to repair or change tubes.

The point about pushing rather than pulling is a good one though. I might see if I can add something to the trolley to add that as an option.

If the mud is like 2016 nothing short of a quad bike is going to cope anyway in which case I'll probably end up stuck in the Kidz field :wacko:

This is going to be a very, very different Glastonbury. I hope the magic doesn't disappear.