Tips on ditching volunteering

glastoloverpaul

2 hours ago, glastoloverpaul said:

Oxfam will not be cancelling my place on the volunteering team as I am not stupid enough to put my last name on these forums.. I'm sure there are plenty of Pauls on the volunteering team!

@glastoloverpaul are you really so thick and ignorant to believe Oxfam take on loads of new Glasto volunteers. Their criteria for being a volunteer this year is to have done 2 festivals as a volunteer with them previously. They are aware and you will be found out. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I can't do stuff like that cos of data protection.

Ball bags! Fair enough though. Here's to hoping that either (a) he's a troll with too much time on his hands, or (b) he tries to ditch his shift, gets caught and is unceremoniously booted off site, never to return. 

To all of the nice and normal folk on here, can I make a suggestion? Stop telling him how or why he'll get caught. All that does is make him aware of all of the checks and procedures involved with volunteering for Oxfam, and make it more likely that he will get away with it. 

To all of the volunteers reading this - thanks for volunteering and making the festival as good as it is. 

To @glastoloverpaul - go fuck yourself. I suspect you spend quite a lot of time doing that anyway, so it shouldn't be a new concept for you. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Lycra said:

@glastoloverpaul are you really so thick and ignorant to believe Oxfam take on loads of new Glasto volunteers. Their criteria for being a volunteer this year is to have done 2 festivals as a volunteer with them previously. They are aware and you will be found out. 

The criteria of having done 2 festivals with Oxfam is for priority applicants who can apply a week earlier. New recruits can apply for Glastonbury.

I am only correcting you as I would hate genuine volunteers to be put off applying in future. 

However I do agree with your comment that @glastoloverpaul is both thick and ignorant. :lol:

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, The Spandex Warrior said:

If (and it's a big 'if') this isn't a pathetic attempt at trolling, can @eFestivals trace this chump's IP address and get in touch with the Oxfam volunteer folk to see if anyone they've given a volunteer place to is using the same IP address? Because that would certainly narrow things down a bit. I could be entirely mistaken as to how the IP address thing works, but worth a try. 

4 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I can't do stuff like that cos of data protection.

Darn it, cant we round up a cyber posse and hunt the varmint down and lynch him..??!!

Alternatively, we could just ignore the little twerp and deprive him of the oxygen of publicity.. He's only got another 783 pages and he is up there with 2019 Headliners thread for christs sake...!

9 hours ago, glastoloverpaul said:

Just caught up with all the posts.

I really didn't think skipping the volunteering was a big deal but all of you do-gooders seem to have really got your knickers in a twist over it.

What difference would it make anyway if one person skips it? They get to keep my deposit I put down and give it so some kid in Africa who probably needs it more than me to get some fresh water or something?

Also Oxfam will not be cancelling my place on the volunteering team as I am not stupid enough to put my last name on these forums.. I'm sure there are plenty of Pauls on the volunteering team!

The deposit covers the charitable donation which is made against you completing your shifts. So you are right that it is no loss to the charity in the very first instance.

....but it does leave your team short, & if enough people do the same as you, Oxfam become an unreliable source of stewards, which in turn endangers the licence, so it would force GFL to make other arrangements. Those arrangements would probably need to be paid staff from a security firm, which would increase ticket prices.

So - if too many people adopt the same relaxed attitude as you to volunteering, the ‘kid in Africa’ will be losing out, as Oxfam won’t be continuing to make the money they make from stewarding Glastonbury, & the punters lose out because tickets cost more.

There probably aren’t that many Pauls whose mate got them in btw. I hope you are trolling & just providing an opportunity for a thread to explain why ditching your shifts is a crappy thing to do.

Excellent troll action glastoloverpaul. If you get the time and are up for it, would you mind sending me a PM detailing what you get from it? It's alien to me, but I would like to understand. 

PS - I know that there's no way that you are not trolling, but let's run with the scenario that you are not. If this is the situation, it doesn't matter what people have said on here ie. you will probably not get caught by security. If this is the case though, I do wish that you get your bollocks caught on the fence getting out of the Oxfam compound. Why not do the decent thing and sneak in another way? Why shit on Oxfam, when you don't have to?

Just to update all you pretentious dickheads - I have not had any contact off Oxfam about cancelling my volunteering.

Even my mate that got me into the volunteering said that I will have no problem ditching the volunteering.

I know a few other people going into the festival that are going to take all my belongings in for me on the Wednesday, so when they arrive I will simply leave the Oxfam campsite and theres nothing any of you can do about it.

I will be sure to post a picture of me at the festival in June sipping a nice cold Thatchers at the bar and watch you all have another melt down

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Just to update all you pretentious dickheads - I have not had any contact off Oxfam about cancelling my volunteering.

Even my mate that got me into the volunteering said that I will have no problem ditching the volunteering.

I know a few other people going into the festival that are going to take all my belongings in for me on the Wednesday, so when they arrive I will simply leave the Oxfam campsite and theres nothing any of you can do about it.

I will be sure to post a picture of me at the festival in June sipping a nice cold Thatchers at the bar and watch you all have another melt down

In all honesty, there's only one dickhead commenting on this thread, and that's you. What did you expect decent people to say when you first posted this thread? It was aimed at upsetting people, not really a request for information. OK, OK, go to Glastonbury and shit on Oxfam. None of us can stop you from doing so. I do hope that one day you'll grow up, and on that day I hope that you are mortified with yourself at your actions. If that day comes, then trust me, you'll never shake this one off. You aren't doing the dirty on Glastonbury Festival, you are doing the dirty on Oxfam. I truly hope that that haunts you one day. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

why don't you put up some crime watch style wanted posters at the same time ? I mean that would not be clever posting a photo of yourself but that pails into insignificance after your earlier posts 

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

In all honesty, there's only one dickhead commenting on this thread, and that's you. What did you expect decent people to say when you first posted this thread? It was aimed at upsetting people, not really a request for information. OK, OK, go to Glastonbury and shit on Oxfam. None of us can stop you from doing so. I do hope that one day you'll grow up, and on that day I hope that you are mortified with yourself at your actions. If that day comes, then trust me, you'll never shake this one off. You aren't doing the dirty on Glastonbury Festival, you are doing the dirty on Oxfam. I truly hope that that haunts you one day. 

I'll make a donation of £20 to Oxfam if that shuts you all up. 

• Downvote 4

2 minutes ago, glastoloverpaul said:

I'll make a donation of £20 to Oxfam if that shuts you all up. 

You really, really don't get it do you. It's about your willingness to shit on Oxfam and the festival that has so upset people. The whole ethos of the festival is to support the charities, not to abuse the charities in order to help yourself. You come across as a self centred, self entitled prick with no conscience so I'm surprised you're bothered enough to give Oxfam or anybody else £20. It seems to have come as a huge surprise to you that the rest of the world is populated by decent people.

And please change your username to something more appropriate.

28 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

Ah lads come on, we're better than this. Now if you're just bored and have fuck all better to do than argue with this idiot then go for it but obvious troll is obvious. 

You're right, of course. I was kind of wavering either way, until he mentioned the £20. That kind of swayed it for me, but your post made me realise that I needed to knock any further involvement on this thread on the head. So, ta, ta very much. :)

On 2/20/2019 at 11:30 AM, glastoloverpaul said:

So guys I will be attending glasto this year as a good friend of mine has managed to get me onto the Oxfam volunteering!!

I fully intend to skip my volunteering shifts and enjoy the full festival, it's too good to miss really isn't it?! I'm aware I will lose my deposit but it will be worth it.

Can anyone give me tips on how to get away from the volunteer camp etc? Will they come looking for me? If anyone else has done this could they please give me their method.

i was gonna do this but think im just gonna swerve it completely  & not turn up now its looking like the killers are playin, just gonna watch it on the telly instead. let us know how you get on though cos ill probably do it next year if the lineup is decent

Edited by LFC_1892
  • Downvote 5

A big reminder without reliable volunteers the festival wouldnt happen at all! And yes i am a volunteer steward and proud of it! 

Volunteering is a brilliant way of given back to the festival! Taking a space then not turning up whats your inside will do you no favours in the future there are consequences which effect you gaining entry to lots of festivals including trying to purchase future tickets! 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, LFC_1892 said:

i was gonna do this but think im just gonna swerve it completely  & not turn up now its looking like the killers are playin, just gonna watch it on the telly instead. let us know how you get on though cos ill probably do it next year if the lineup is decent

You're the type of person who should just be banned from buying a ticket altogether. 

• Upvote 2

From a  'noob' as my youngest would say, it's very out of the ordinary to read such trollish behaviour on this site tbh, the vast vast majority of posters are very decent, insightful and helpful. I'd post the odd time in a few other groups, and my jeepers, it's chalk and cheese compared to this place, which is so well run. But I suppose folk get their kicks in all kinds of ways. 8 weeks (or less) and counting to t-day resale! COME ON !

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Peter_Quaife said:

From a  'noob' as my youngest would say, it's very out of the ordinary to read such trollish behaviour on this site tbh, the vast vast majority of posters are very decent, insightful and helpful. I'd post the odd time in a few other groups, and my jeepers, it's chalk and cheese compared to this place, which is so well run. But I suppose folk get their kicks in all kinds of ways. 8 weeks (or less) and counting to t-day resale! COME ON !

Hurrah...

The voice of reason.

Lets not react any further to these twerps, it only encourages...

• 3 weeks later...

To those genuine Oxfam volunteers, what does a volunteer Glasto look like shift wise and what is it that you actually end up doing? Is there a list of all the different volunteer jobs somewhere? 

Bagged a ticket for the first time in ages this year but fully expecting to re-catch the bug and i am already looking at all potential options for 2020.