Maybe we will get something like what wombats did this year, playing intro early on and then do their proper set later. Blossoms definitely could be in for a shout for this although not sure what they would do, they don't have the back catalogue to do this I think (wombats did first album rarities)

On 7/10/2019 at 6:00 PM, TKOCF said:

Didn’t Green Day only do Reading when they did their secret set in 2012?

Anyway I can’t see past it being one of Biffy, Bombay Bicycle Club or Catfish at this point. But it can all change last second and be someone no one was predicting. Or there might not even be one big main one and maybe it’ll be just two or three smaller ones. 

They did a secret set in 2012 and headlined the year after, not the same year.

25 minutes ago, robillustrates said:

Had some big secret sets in recent years, BMTH and Wolf Alice come to mind, any chance of something actually big like Foals?

Foals did it in 2015 

2 hours ago, Properbigfan said:

Maybe you me at six? Do some older stuff/rarities then to the main stage set 

Yma6 did it In 2016 

Doubt either will do a secret set so soon after 

10 hours ago, gfa said:

Maybe we will get something like what wombats did this year, playing intro early on and then do their proper set later. Blossoms definitely could be in for a shout for this although not sure what they would do, they don't have the back catalogue to do this I think (wombats did first album rarities)

I guess Blossoms could just do acoustic type performances of their own songs. I was thinking the wombats but can’t see it again. Maybe being quite optimistic with Blossoms though considering how high up they are. 

59 minutes ago, BeddingatReading said:

I guess Blossoms could just do acoustic type performances of their own songs. I was thinking the wombats but can’t see it again. Maybe being quite optimistic with Blossoms though considering how high up they are. 

I think they would be well up for it, Reading have pushed they up twice to slots that are pretty questionable (not so questionable this time but last time anyway) so its like payback I guess. Definitely a similar size to wombats and they are both third down basically, they will probably start earlier than Wombats too to be honest.

2 hours ago, TheWaters said:

If we’re talking bands on the lineup who could do a bit of their back catalogue maybe Sundara Karma? They don’t play much from the first album anymore so could easily fill a half hour slot with that.

Would be well up for that. I’m not a fan of their new stuff but liked their first album. Plus I don’t have much I want to see on the Sunday so could mean I’ll see ADTR and them on the BBC intro. 

Last year they also had Peace do a secret set on the BBC introducing and not being on the bill at all so maybe a small-ish band to do that. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/14/2019 at 10:49 AM, TheWaters said:

If we’re talking bands on the lineup who could do a bit of their back catalogue maybe Sundara Karma? They don’t play much from the first album anymore so could easily fill a half hour slot with that.

Would be quite funny actually - see the crowd go crazy for the old stuff and then for their proper set watch everyone sit around. Their set at IoW was appalling, 7 songs from the new album and only she said+ flame from the rest of their catalog. I get their touring the new album but it shouldn't be that heavily new album especially when it seems most prefer the old one and honestly their shows have gone downhill since album one. If the new album was something like incredible and the old stuff just seemed mediocre in comparison then fair enough but its just, not. If this did happen may encourage them to add more older songs back to their set - can only wish.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gfa said:

Would be quite funny actually - see the crowd go crazy for the old stuff and then for their proper set watch everyone sit around. Their set at IoW was appalling, 7 songs from the new album and only she said+ flame from the rest of their catalog. I get their touring the new album but it shouldn't be that heavily new album especially when it seems most prefer the old one and honestly their shows have gone downhill since album one. If the new album was something like incredible and the old stuff just seemed mediocre in comparison then fair enough but its just, not. If this did happen may encourage them to add more older songs back to their set - can only wish.

Not sure their shows have exactly gone down hill. Their tour this year went down very well by people who went, I saw them at the sold out Rock City date and they were brilliant. Their new stuff might not be everyone’s cup of tea but the large majority of the crowd enjoyed it. Understand it’s different at festivals as not everyone is obviously there to see them, however at TRNSMT half of their songs were from new album and half were from old, and the crowd for that was very good, so obviously they listened to the reaction to IoW set

3 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Neck Deep on the Lock Up/Pit 

Bombay Bicycle Club on the FR 

Biffy Clyro on the R1 

A band that is already playing doing a set on the BBC Introducing 

I want all of that. Only one I can't see is Neck Deep since they're in the States with Blink still but if there's a gap in the schedule I guess it's possible.

Honestly, if they already booked BBC for a secret set I could see them adding them as the FR headliners on the Foos day since they need a replacement.

27 minutes ago, Jericode said:

I want all of that. Only one I can't see is Neck Deep since they're in the States with Blink still but if there's a gap in the schedule I guess it's possible.

Honestly, if they already booked BBC for a secret set I could see them adding them as the FR headliners on the Foos day since they need a replacement.

Yeah I remembered the Blink tour after I posted this :P 

On 7/15/2019 at 8:56 PM, Jericode said:

Surely BBC are way too big to headline the FR? I know it's a last minute booking but still...

9 hours ago, Barnabylike said:

Radio 1 Stage - Catfish and The Bottlemen 

Festival Republic Stage - Gerry Cinnamon 

BBC Introducing - Pale Waves

BBC Introducing - Lewis Capaldi 

That would be the most disappointing set of secret sets imaginable but its actually realistic (bar Lewis Capaldi on introducing) 

Lewis Capaldi is playing with Ed Sheeran in Ipswich on Sunday and Monday but isn't joining as support for the Friday and Saturday at the same venue. Would suggest prior engagement on Fri/Sat with nothing listed on his tour dates

Reading Friday / Leeds Saturday secret set on the cards...