TRNSMT Lineup 2020

RarerThanDandyB

56 minutes ago, addicted2noise said:

I refuse to believe every music fan in Scotland only likes Clyde One pop or rubbish lad rock, I think a DF free major festival could work although it probably is the one big weekend like everyone has said.

There isn't room for 2 major music festivals in Scotland. Rockness died, T died. 

Trnsmt isn't the only option too, you have Summer sessions in both ed and glasgow, kelvingrove, swg3 galvinisers etc where a range of non-pop acts are booked. 

For a big music fest to thrive in Scotland it's pretty clear they need to be booking what is popular and sells which is exactly what they've been doing and it's working well for them.

2 hours ago, didinowanttohearthat said:

There isn't room for 2 major music festivals in Scotland. Rockness died, T died. 

Trnsmt isn't the only option too, you have Summer sessions in both ed and glasgow, kelvingrove, swg3 galvinisers etc where a range of non-pop acts are booked. 

For a big music fest to thrive in Scotland it's pretty clear they need to be booking what is popular and sells which is exactly what they've been doing and it's working well for them.

T died because the arsehole running it ruined it and lied about the demographic for trnsmt.

How do you know what’s popular and sells when nothing else gets a chance anymore??

Id love a proper music festival to come up here similar in size to T nail a line up and put oor Geoff and his cohorts out of business.

6 minutes ago, Threestripes said:

T died because the arsehole running it ruined it and lied about the demographic for trnsmt.

How do you know what’s popular and sells when nothing else gets a chance anymore??

Id love a proper music festival to come up here similar in size to T nail a line up and put oor Geoff and his cohorts out of business.

Part of T dying was mainly due to the site change imo. Rockness dying shows that 2 big fests can't operate in Scotland. 

With Trnsmt they tried Radiohead and Queen- band I imagine fit into 'proper music' (?) and those days didn't sell great. Last year with Ezra, Catfish and Stormzy basically sold out. 

I'm afraid you're out of touch to the reality of the situation. What bands are you wanting to see that aren't being booked somewhere else in the central belt in Scotland ?

6 hours ago, didinowanttohearthat said:

Part of T dying was mainly due to the site change imo. Rockness dying shows that 2 big fests can't operate in Scotland. 

With Trnsmt they tried Radiohead and Queen- band I imagine fit into 'proper music' (?) and those days didn't sell great. Last year with Ezra, Catfish and Stormzy basically sold out. 

I'm afraid you're out of touch to the reality of the situation. What bands are you wanting to see that aren't being booked somewhere else in the central belt in Scotland ?

The reality is if TITP came back next year at a festival site the suits and nailed a similar sized line ups over ALL stages that it used to have it would sell out.

1 hour ago, Threestripes said:

The reality is if TITP came back next year at a festival site the suits and nailed a similar sized line ups over ALL stages that it used to have it would sell out.

Clearly not going to change ur mind but there's a clear reason why they're sticking with the strategy they are atm.

If it's as easy as u make out and they have a potential 80k sell out fest sitting there then why would they not do it? Cause it only exists in ur head

• Downvote 2

On 12/10/2019 at 4:16 PM, a6l6e6x said:

How on earth have Sunday day tickets sold out

It depends on how many were on sale . If they only put up say 5000 day tickets and they’ve sold them, they can say it’s sold out to create a buzz and get people who want to go on the Sunday to buy 2 or 3 day tickets. 

14 hours ago, didinowanttohearthat said:

Clearly not going to change ur mind but there's a clear reason why they're sticking with the strategy they are atm.

If it's as easy as u make out and they have a potential 80k sell out fest sitting there then why would they not do it? Cause it only exists in ur head

It’s easier to slap a stage up in the town centre book a handful of acts each day and not worry about camping,travel,site set up,weather,and they don’t even need to nail a line up just book someone like Capaldi and all the young team will flock to see him even if it’s a absalute boring headliner.

BTW fair play to GE he royally fucked up Scotland’s proper festival and is probabbly coining it in with a poor imitation.

Edited by Threestripes

3 hours ago, Threestripes said:

It’s easier to slap a stage up in the town centre book a handful of acts each day and not worry about camping,travel,site set up,weather,and they don’t even need to nail a line up just book someone like Capaldi and all the young team will flock to see him even if it’s a absalute boring headliner.

BTW fair play to GE he royally fucked up Scotland’s proper festival and is probabbly coining it in with a poor imitation.

I was the same as yourself from about 2013 onwards, was genuinely annoyed and I honestly couldn't believe the guys that ran TITP went with the likes of Rihanna and Calvin Harris etc. Obviously its always had some pop acts but that year felt like a wind up.

As the poster above says though they really don't care who is playing, as long as its selling tickets they'll keep booking utter garbage like Gerry Cinnamon and the likes.

Every year I hope to f*ck they end up booking bands like The Strokes, IDLES, Broken Bells, LCD Soundsystem etc etc but realistically that's not going to sell well at a festival held at Glasgow Green.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2019 at 11:31 AM, didinowanttohearthat said:

Most of summer session and TRNSMT are already recycling the same acts at this point and kelvingrove while good is quite expensive. I think the problem is less that there's no demand and more that DF aren't able to run a decent camping festival in Scotland anymore without attracting trouble (which T in the park did ever since Oasis headlined in the early 00s). I still think Festival Republic could go above Geoffs head and put on a better camping festival (they own half of DF anyway so he can't really stop them) which won't have the bad stigma of T in the park.

13 minutes ago, addicted2noise said:

Most of summer session and TRNSMT are already recycling the same acts at this point and kelvingrove while good is quite expensive. I think the problem is less that there's no demand and more that DF aren't able to run a decent camping festival in Scotland anymore without attracting trouble (which T in the park did ever since Oasis headlined in the early 00s). I still think Festival Republic could go above Geoffs head and put on a better camping festival (they own half of DF anyway so he can't really stop them) which won't have the bad stigma of T in the park.

T had trouble for years and years. The thing that killed it was the move to Strathallan. At this point it's probs just more trouble than it's worth to bring it back with trnsmt selling so well.

3 hours ago, didinowanttohearthat said:

T had trouble for years and years. The thing that killed it was the move to Strathallan. At this point it's probs just more trouble than it's worth to bring it back with trnsmt selling so well.

What were they thinking about moving there?

Couldnt pick a worse site if they tried.

3 hours ago, charlierc said:

I know they couldn't stay at Balado but what other alternates did they have?

The whole of Scotland to chose from.

I can vaguely remember seeing  a document with 3 sites and strathallan being the worst across the the board from everything to travel to infrustucture.

Blows your mind they still went with it as D said above it must have been to do with money 

I can also remember Stirling getting a shout after the second year at strathallan was a disaster but they were in a 3 year contract.

How perfect would that have been,motorways on your doorstep shitloads of hotels,rail travel,infrastructure even fecking scenery it had it all.

On 12/1/2019 at 7:37 AM, Stuart1000 said:

Alphabeat

Be Charlotte

Billie Eilish

Bossy Love

Carly Rae Jepsen

Caroline Polachek

Charli XCX

Confidence Man

Dua Lipa

Ellie Goulding

Free Love

Georgia

Kate Nash

Ke$ha

Little Mix

Lizzo

Robyn

Shura

Solange

Sugababes

Superorganism

Taylor Swift

Texas

Tove Lo

Zara Larsson 

Just some of the female acts/acts with females in Geoff Ellis could’ve booked who are doing the rounds next Summer. I hope at least some of these are included in the next announcement to balance things out.

i understand that having women in the line up is important, but its not like anyone who bought tickets to go and watch this festival are going to want to see acts like little mix and carly rae jepson. they are hardly go to acts for people who like liam gallagher, courteeners, ian brown, foals etc.and the organizers clearly know this.

1 hour ago, rawzyj said:

i understand that having women in the line up is important, but its not like anyone who bought tickets to go and watch this festival are going to want to see acts like little mix and carly rae jepson. they are hardly go to acts for people who like liam gallagher, courteeners, ian brown, foals etc.and the organizers clearly know this.

You mean the same festival which saw Sigrid pack out the Main Stage last year (on the same day headlined by Catfish & the Bottlemen) and has Rita Ora as one of just 3 acts announced on the sole day which has sold out.

One of the things TRNSMT (and T before) always prided itself on was having a varied lineup. Pop, R&B and hip hop have always had a place at TRNSMT, it’s never been just an exclusively guitar band lineup.

4 minutes ago, Stuart1000 said:

You mean the same festival which saw Sigrid pack out the Main Stage last year (on the same day headlined by Catfish & the Bottlemen) and has Rita Ora as one of just 3 acts announced on the sole day which has sold out.

One of the things TRNSMT (and T before) always prided itself on was having a varied lineup. Pop, R&B and hip hop have always had a place at TRNSMT, it’s never been just an exclusively guitar band lineup.

don't think its fair to say Rita Ora contributed to that sell out much, Lewis Capaldi is the headliner that was obviously gonna sell like hotcakes in Glasgow

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

23 hours ago, OnlyRevolutions said:

don't think its fair to say Rita Ora contributed to that sell out much, Lewis Capaldi is the headliner that was obviously gonna sell like hotcakes in Glasgow

18 hours ago, DomDom1984 said:

Yep. Could have had The Lancashire Hotpots on the Lewis Capaldi day and it'd have done the same business.

I almost didn’t use the Rita Ora example because I thought someone would bring this up but given the post in question challenged that people were going to the festival for other non-headline acts (Foals, Ian Brown) who are yet to sell out their day, the comparison stands.

Even if you were wanting to stick solely to guitar bands, there are plenty available who could’ve been included on the initial lineup. It’s a huge oversight from DF to not have included more given they’ve had similar reaction to lineup announcements previously when they included more women than what they announced this year!

On 12/20/2019 at 11:53 AM, Stuart1000 said:

As others have said here, Lewis capaldi could of probably sold this day out on his own, they could have me on the undercard and it’d be the same result. The majority of people that are going to buy weekend tickets for this will be going for the bands simply due to how it’s filled out with them. I’m not saying no women would draw and I can’t stress that enough.

but naming people like little mix is hilarious , there’s not a chance people are going to buy weekend tickets (which is want they want to sell) for such a madly mixed line up. Even when Rita Ora came out, all the reactions I was seeing were essentially “what is she doing there” 

My nephew is desperate to go to this, so I'm taking him to the Friday and Saturday. So I now have a horse in the race. I was always looking at the Saturday, but not sure how much joy I'm going to get from the Friday. Courteeners will be great. Blossoms I might enjoy a bit.

Anyone got any thoughts on who will be on the undercard on this? I'm assuming there'll be bands further down the lineup who'll be doing all of the festivals. I think The Snuts will get a decent King Tuts spot. I reckon Tom Walker will be on the lineup somewhere but can't really place anyone else.