Burning Man Festival, interesting article from the BBC

matt2007

51 minutes ago, matt2007 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-4720397

This is interesting. I don't think that Glastonbury is going this way but we all must try to keep the reason we go and it has become so successful by respecting it's ethos 

Well glasto does have the glamping opions available... I dont think it will ever get to point where theres an obvious split in attendees. 

I'm glad burning man is stepping up and realizing that its changing their festival... 

A lot of US festivals have varying levels of VIP/premium tickets available... festivals should foster a sense of unity and inclusion... and I think VIP etc really breaks down that culture. 

1 hour ago, matt2007 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-4720397

This is interesting. I don't think that Glastonbury is going this way but we all must try to keep the reason we go and it has become so successful by respecting it's ethos 

Has it not gone that way to a big extent already? not as bad as the states, but you would not expect it to anyway due to our size and demographic

3 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Has it not gone that way to a big extent already? not as bad as the states, but you would not expect it to anyway due to our size and demographic

Yes, undoubtedly. There's I think a four figure total of pre-erected tents and more exclusive accommodation outside of the main fence, just take a look at the aerial shots. I did a rough count when GlastoMap was still around, it was a huge number.

6 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

To a huge extent, yeah, but I think the difference is probably that most of it at Glastonbury (aside from the Tipis and the Hospitality area) is off-site and so doesn't create much in the way of segregation within the festival itself.

28 minutes ago, incident said:

To a huge extent, yeah, but I think the difference is probably that most of it at Glastonbury (aside from the Tipis and the Hospitality area) is off-site and so doesn't create much in the way of segregation within the festival itself.

Exactly this- Glastonbury has taken steps to avoid the red trouser brigade taking space inside the festival wall. If their existence helps the festival remain viable then so be it- there's no VIP/ golden circle crap once you get inside thankfully!

28 minutes ago, Smeble said:

Yeah don’t want to be TOO inclusive do we, anyone wearing red trousers or exhibiting good enunciation must be excluded on the ground they may have more money than us. Inclusive means exactly that, everyone is welcome no matter what their background.

*sigh* you know perfectly well what I meant in context. Allow unrestricted corporate access to the festival and it would eventually distort beyond all recognition. I for one don't want Glastonbury to end up being Henley Regatta in a field, do you?

Edited by LeeHC
Extra explanation

5 hours ago, Smeble said:

Yeah don’t want to be TOO inclusive do we, anyone wearing red trousers or exhibiting good enunciation must be excluded on the ground they may have more money than us. Inclusive means exactly that, everyone is welcome no matter what their background.

Asking people to respect the ethos of a festival and participate on the same terms as everyone else is excluding someone?

Glastonbury doesn't feel corporate just yet, and I pray it wont fall victim to the Instagram/model culture that plagues  Coachella and now, apparently, Burning Man.

• Like 1