Taxis from Gate B to Gate D and back

alisonbison

19 minutes ago, alisonbison said:

Thanks for the input, but I am asking a question about a taxi. Anyone know the answer? 

I think most people assume you're joking. I'm not sure to be honest.

But the answer is no, absolutely not, for so many reasons it's not worth listing them.

Your crew might have a buggy or landrover or whatever with a site vehicle pass, and be able to use the perimeter road to give you a lift to/from Gate B - but that's something that would be arranged locally. Any taxis etc aren't allowed anywhere near the gates or on any of the roads nearest the site.

Edited by incident

I think once you see the operation of the gates up close, it'll become clear why it's utterly unworkable.

Out of interest, who are you working with? Apart from maybe security, I didn't think any of the crews that worked gates were based in that area?

Edited by incident

1 hour ago, incident said:

I think most people assume you're joking. I'm not sure to be honest.

But the answer is no, absolutely not, for so many reasons it's not worth listing them.

Your crew might have a buggy or landrover or whatever with a site vehicle pass, and be able to use the perimeter road to give you a lift to/from Gate B - but that's something that would be arranged locally. Any taxis etc aren't allowed anywhere near the gates or on any of the roads nearest the site.

I have been dropped off right at one of the gates in a taxi before. We missed our national express coach along with some others and got a black taxi from outside the coach station. 

I think this will depend on the days you are working and your shift times. E.G. Starting at 08.00 on the Wed is a real no-no but before or after the festival MAY be more fesable. If you are relying on organising and booking cabs you may well be disappointed. Can you camp instead within the festival in a public area? Or at least pretend to stay in your crew camp.

27 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

I have been dropped off right at one of the gates in a taxi before. We missed our national express coach along with some others and got a black taxi from outside the coach station. 

We're talking about Gate D here though. To get to it you need to either go deep into the car parks (requiring a car park sticker) or down one of the site roads (requiring a specific vehicle pass).

Gate A is right next to the A361 so would have been less of a problem, though even there any waiting taxi would be moved on as soon as someone realised it was stopped there. As of about 3 or 4 years ago they banned taxis from entering the coach station and created a special drop off point at Bath & West Showgrounds, so I'm guessing it was either before then, or just quiet enough they figured it was easier to let it through than to send you round the correct way.

It's not a long walk at all, and a rather lovely one at that, passing the top of the Pyramid, down by JP then up through Siver Hayes. Cant be more than 20-30 mins, and you might catch a few bands on your travels

Taxis will take a lot longer, especially thorught Pilton, and getting through security, not sure if taxis are allowed to get that close to the gates either.

I can think of worse walks to get to work!

Hello.

Just to clarify. I'll be needed at Gate B for 5 am on the Wednesday.

I will have a tent near there with basics in it, but my partner is camping just outside Gate D in the campervan and he will be all set up there from the Tuesday.

I have a really bad hip at the moment, so just exploring options. I could just sleep near Gate B but oh lordy... that campervan bed is a million times more comfy when you have been on your feet all day. I actually have trouble getting up from a mattress in the ground, let alone going to the loo in the night etc.  My joints are dreadful when I'm camping - I mean hips and knees!

I will be going anyway, even if I have to sleep in crew camping. Just trying to work out the quickest way between the gates. Half hour walk is no problem so that's probably the best bet! 

Yes, being crew is a pain if you want to be in a campervan. That applies to all of the crew unless you are senior in some capacity or there for the duration before and after. 

A long time ago when I stewarded with Oxfam and they were still in Tom's field you could occasionally cadge a lift from there to the outer rim for a shift but that was because you were starting from crew camping and they were sending a land rover with supplies etc to that gate. Not much chance if you arent in crew camping to begin with.

5 hours ago, alisonbison said:

Hello.

Just to clarify. I'll be needed at Gate B for 5 am on the Wednesday.

I will have a tent near there with basics in it, but my partner is camping just outside Gate D in the campervan and he will be all set up there from the Tuesday.

I have a really bad hip at the moment, so just exploring options. I could just sleep near Gate B but oh lordy... that campervan bed is a million times more comfy when you have been on your feet all day. I actually have trouble getting up from a mattress in the ground, let alone going to the loo in the night etc.  My joints are dreadful when I'm camping - I mean hips and knees!

I will be going anyway, even if I have to sleep in crew camping. Just trying to work out the quickest way between the gates. Half hour walk is no problem so that's probably the best bet! 

I am guessing that your partner is in an off-site campsite? There will be loads of East Campervan passes available after the resale as many people bought them (via friends with tickets) as a backup if they are successful. The walk from East Campervan fields to gate B takes 15 minutes. See map. It's probably more doable than getting a taxi in an area where vehicles are not allowed to stop. The road is the blue line between E20 and E18.

Screenshot_2018-11-09_204654.thumb.jpg.2c003caddf4d9d4d752a372f8be2e676.jpg