EE site phone reception

MJP

The past couple of times I've been to Glasto, my phone provider has been Three and their signal has been pretty average with dips during headline acts, as you would imagine. I had full signal but would get drip fed notifications every now and then.

I'm wondering if EE is actually any better, as they supply the infrastructure. Do other mobile providers (Three, O2 etc.) piggyback this infrastructure during the fest?

I am considering getting a PAYG SIM just for the weekend so I'm not getting texts about where to meet 12 hours late.

I know that the ideal situation is to use your phone as little as possible and escape, but I spent most of my Sunday alone because of a perfect storm including shite reception, and I would like to try and mitigate any problems that I can.

PS. Shout out to the lady who found my phone on the Thursday and got it back to me on the Friday in 2017. ❤️
PPS. I've got a burner phone in case of emergencies, but my mate was relying on her iPhone to receive messages ?‍♂️

Edited by MJP

From what I've seen, EE is generally the best on site. Though can still have a few issues (delays in text messages etc) from time to time.

I'm pretty sure all of the networks put significant extra capacity in - it's just that EE are the one to have their masts located within the site itself whereas the others are outside the fence.

EE literally have a dedicated mast on site, so reception is always good, however congestion on the network can be bad, so data is usually poor, facetime etc can be hit and miss.

If you're sending texts, add the time you sent it to the message, eg: 'sent at 17:18' in case delivery is delayed. avoids confusion :)

If you're in east caravan though, reception sucks ?

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

It’s fine, nothing like it was 10-15 years ago when you’d dozens of “we’re by the red flag!” texts after you got home on the Monday.

we've been so many times we have set meeting points at most of the stages these days .....saves the hassle of that red flag deciding to go for a piss at the wrong time 

3 hours ago, paulshane said:

EE literally have a dedicated mast on site, so reception is always good, however congestion on the network can be bad, so data is usually poor, facetime etc can be hit and miss.

If you're sending texts, add the time you sent it to the message, eg: 'sent at 17:18' in case delivery is delayed. avoids confusion :)

If you're in east caravan though, reception sucks ?

Good tip - was doing that last festival on Sunday night.

I was in the middle of coming down with a case of Giardiasis that night (which I ended up spending 3 nights in isolation at a hospital for, lol). So that, paired with the fact I hadn't seen my mate all day, along with the bass from Arcadia - I was about ready to murder someone. ?

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

And you can always use the wide plethora of internet messaging apps if SMS doesn't seem to be working.

Switching between 3G and 4G seems to tease messages from FB Messenger/WhatsApp/Kik out too. ?

16 hours ago, MJP said:

I'm wondering if EE is actually any better, as they supply the infrastructure. Do other mobile providers (Three, O2 etc.) piggyback this infrastructure during the fest?

I believe it's the case that all providers put in temporary masts, but that EE are the only ones who go the extra mile to ensure adequate capacity at all times.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

I believe it's the case that all providers put in temporary masts, but that EE are the only ones who go the extra mile to ensure adequate capacity at all times.

Cheers Neil. I guess it might be worth getting an EE PAYG for the week.