Deluxe diner

Funkyfairy!

I thought about it, it looks good, but one of the things I love about Glatonbury is I get to try all manner of food that I wouldn't normally. This looks like fairly upmarket posh gastropub stuff, that I can get the rest of the year round without too much trouble. Whereas I don't often get the chance to have some of the other, more unusual, food that's around at Glastonbury. It does look decent enough though, and not as overpriced as I might have expected. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Just seen the Deluxe diner is open for bookings, I've never done it , has anyone else ?

http://www.deluxediner.co.uk/restaurant-bookings.html

We have booked in for midday Sunday again, this will be our 3rd time. It's lush and a lovely way to start the last day by dining with friends! :D

Sometimes just being able to sit down at a chair and eat some grub with a knife and fork can feel very welcome, especially if you're lazy, old or the ground is too muddy to sit. 

I was in the 1st service last year and you felt a tad that they weren't fully up to speed yet, so have gone for Thursday this time. Food was nice. 

Edited by clarkete

21 hours ago, Mardy said:

It does look decent enough though, and not as overpriced as I might have expected. 

Totally agree with this. For what it is and the infrastructure they obviously need to bring in to produce the food, I think the price is excellent.

Having said that, it's Glastonbury and I fully expect to have no appetite by mid-Tuesday afternoon. Save decent grub for the other 51 weeks of the year. 

21 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Just seen the Deluxe diner is open for bookings, I've never done it , has anyone else ?

http://www.deluxediner.co.uk/restaurant-bookings.html

I did last time. The food was ok, but I won't be doing it again.

Firstly I missed an act I wanted to catch because they didn't run to time. And think 'work canteen' more than 'restaurant' as it's that sort of mass catering.

They do a decent job considering it's cooked in a tent in a field, but food cooked in a tent in a field is going to have its limitations.

44 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Firstly I missed an act I wanted to catch because they didn't run to time. And think 'work canteen' more than 'restaurant' as it's that sort of mass catering.

They do a decent job considering it's cooked in a tent in a field, but food cooked in a tent in a field is going to have its limitations.

My experience of this for the past 2 years is definitely not “work canteen”. The Sunday lunch is really very good. The only thing canteen like is the tables and chairs...long tables shared with other diners. 

We do the roast because by Sunday there’s a chance you have waded through mud for days and are absolutely exhausted...it is a very welcome hour of eating decent food with a knife and fork, in a pleasant environment and with a bottle of wine. 

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

I really enjoyed it. A lot of that was probably due to the novelty .. and the company ;) and I agree that given the circumstances they do a great job. We had the proper posh menu option on this- our first visit- and I was pretty impressed with the quality for the price. Luckily for me I was wanting to see Napalm Death directly afterwards and managed to get there for most of it - given that it was on the Hell stage just round the corner.. (although I don't recommend sandals in a mosh-pit!). But yeah it is a lottery that you might miss something important to you. We've gone for the midday Sunday roast this year.. hoping to avoid clashes. Looking forward very much :) 

50 minutes ago, Limpet said:

Thank you for posting this @Funkyfairy!, I’ve just booked the Thursday lunch complete with birthday cake for my 40th ?

have a great 40th :) I had mine there a couple of years ago .... apparently there is a birthday tent somewhere near acoustic  .... make sure you wear a big birthday badge and you might get happy birthday sung to you  by random people a few times ... its a great feeling when lots of unknowns sing to you :) enjoy 

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

have a great 40th :) I had mine there a couple of years ago .... apparently there is a birthday tent somewhere near acoustic  .... make sure you wear a big birthday badge and you might get happy birthday sung to you  by random people a few times ... its a great feeling when lots of unknowns sing to you :) enjoy 

I’ll make sure I try and hunt that tent down, I’ve never seen it before. 

It’s only very recently that I’ve had confirmation I’m going as I missed out in the main sale. It would have been the first festival I’ve missed since 97. The thought of not spending my 40th there was a devasting blow post ticket day. Thankfully a good samaritan has come to my aid and sorted it (the joys of living in Somerset, there’s always someone who knows someone with ties to the festival). 

I actually know someone who recently served food to Michael and his partner in a local restaurant and they got chatting about ‘the little party he holds’ (his words). On explaining her disappointment of not getting tickets to this years fest, he sorted it for her and her partner. Absolute Legend!

Just now, Limpet said:

I’ll make sure I try and hunt that tent down, I’ve never seen it before. 

It’s only very recently that I’ve had confirmation I’m going as I missed out in the main sale. It would have been the first festival I’ve missed since 97. The thought of not spending my 40th there was a devasting blow post ticket day. Thankfully a good samaritan has come to my aid and sorted it (the joys of living in Somerset, there’s always someone who knows someone with ties to the festival). 

I actually know someone who recently served food to Michael and his partner in a local restaurant and they got chatting about ‘the little party he holds’ (his words). On explaining her disappointment of not getting tickets to this years fest, he sorted it for her and her partner. Absolute Legend!

he is :) I once sat and had dinner with him at a charity function ... im from somerset too :) ... so also had to a chat with him :) 

I did it in 2017 and the food was great but my experience as a single customer was not. They kept double checking, leading me to have to confirm that yes, I was on my own. I was then tagged on to the end of a group, which I can understand in terms of tables/space, but it made me feel very ‘spare thumb’ like. 

The food and experience itself was great, but that was with standard Glasto fare to compare it against. If I was having a meal out and paying near £50 for a three course meal, I’m not sure this would thrill me. 

2 hours ago, Limpet said:

So can someone please explain the general set up of this place.... Is it in a separate area to the rest of the diner?

This is what the tables are like, only instead of the people watching a band, they're being given food and drink by serving folk

diner-rocking-out.jpg