2021 Lineup

Shambala festival cancelled which is the same weekend as R&L. With no insurance in sight still from the government and that being the major hurdle for festivals to be able to happen this summer it’s not surprising to see smaller independent festivals cancelling. I assume R&L can afford to hold out another month or two to see if any insurance is granted but with no government insurance there’ll be no festivals so that’s deffo the main thing to keep an eye out for 

3 minutes ago, Ives562 said:

So which acts that have been announced are we most looking forward to seeing on each day if we had to pick 1 from eatch day mine are Friday - stormzy 

Saturday - post malone 

Sunday - yungblud 

Great question, I'd go with:

Friday - Sports Team

Saturday - Fever 333

Sunday - Yungblud

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheWaters said:

Shambala festival cancelled which is the same weekend as R&L. With no insurance in sight still from the government and that being the major hurdle for festivals to be able to happen this summer it’s not surprising to see smaller independent festivals cancelling. I assume R&L can afford to hold out another month or two to see if any insurance is granted but with no government insurance there’ll be no festivals so that’s deffo the main thing to keep an eye out for 

Yeah R&L will want to make it happen and as a big company they'll have the money to be able to hold off for a long time. Melvin will also be in discussions with sectors of the gov as I know he's quite close to that sort of thing. Not sure the insurance being granted means they're all off if non socially distance stuff happens after June 21st R&L will push ahead I'm sure. I do think them being at the end of August is a massive factor which will help and how big FR is. If festivals haven't happened up until August I could even see R&L pushing to be a test event, the first of it's size. Shambala won't be the last to cancel but I'm still pretty confident of R&L happening. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, TheWaters said:

Pretty sure there won't be government insurance at all. They'll be holding on to see if that matters.

• Upvote 1

Brian Fallon has just also cancelled his November/December European tour and rescheduled it for Summer 2022. Reading/Leeds won’t happen unfortunately. I can’t talk for Leeds but I know Reading still doesn’t have permission to take place this summer from the local council. 

Edited by jonnyisRFC
  • Downvote 1

32 minutes ago, jonnyisRFC said:

Brian Fallon has just also cancelled his November/December European tour and rescheduled it for Summer 2022. Reading/Leeds won’t happen unfortunately. I can’t talk for Leeds but I know Reading still doesn’t have permission to take place this summer from the local council. 

Cheers, Melv. 

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, jonnyisRFC said:

The area missed out on massive income last year when the festival was cancelled. If there’s any way for it to go ahead, the council will approve it

35 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Cheers, Melv. 

Bit of a shitty comment here. Maybe he's just trying to see a bigger picture realistically.

19 minutes ago, Quorn said:

The area missed out on massive income last year when the festival was cancelled. If there’s any way for it to go ahead, the council will approve it

Everywhere missed out on massive income. But Reading will survive.

24 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Bit of a shitty comment here. Maybe he's just trying to see a bigger picture realistically.

Exactly. I want R/L to happen just as much as the next guy, but all these artists and festivals that are cancelling summer/winter 2021 shows aren’t just doing it for a laugh. They know a lot more than us common folk. 

14 minutes ago, jonnyisRFC said:

Exactly. I want R/L to happen just as much as the next guy, but all these artists and festivals that are cancelling summer/winter 2021 shows aren’t just doing it for a laugh. They know a lot more than us common folk. 

These are smaller festivals councelling and the only big one to cancel so far is Glastonbury but that was before reading announced it was going ahead, I think latitude will be key I feel If that goes ahead then reading will to, there are also a lot of bands doing shows around that time so again will be interesting, my theory on everything Is lots of people are getting vaccinated every day and according to boris we won't have to social distance in June so I fully believe that reading will be going ahead (sorry for long post haha) 

14 hours ago, jonnyisRFC said:

Yet US acts are announcing November/December tours every day. I don’t think Brian Fallon knows something that the rest of the industry doesn’t.

17 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yet US acts are announcing November/December tours every day. I don’t think Brian Fallon knows something that the rest of the industry doesn’t.

Absolutely - either promoters/venues etc are confident of things happening later in the year or they're provisionally booking tours knowing they'll be at the front of the queue if they have to be rescheduled. In reality as @Quorn says, the govt doesn't know what next month will look like let alone summer into autumn/winter

Remember Brian Fallon is also firstly an American act so tours are a bigger investment and secondly touring Europe which is pretty behind vaccine wise. I can imagine border crossing plans will be hell for the near future so keeping your tours either contained to the UK or America is best for artists.

also Down the Rabbit Hole seems to confirm no Slowthai?

Edited by Jonathan Jonathan

36 minutes ago, Jonathan Jonathan said:

Remember Brian Fallon is also firstly an American act so tours are a bigger investment and secondly touring Europe which is pretty behind vaccine wise. I can imagine border crossing plans will be hell for the near future so keeping your tours either contained to the UK or America is best for artists.

Yup, makes far more sense for US artists to stay domestic where they will have a keen audience and far less vagaries of COVID policy to navigate.

Big acts on big money will still travel, smaller niche ones will stay home