2021 Lineup

1 hour ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Exactly my take on it. YMAS must have said no to taking both of Fever 333’s two spots, they would’ve been a great Sunday closer in the Pit, crowd would have been a decent size. You’d like to think there were enough bands ready to play if called upon, Melvin said himself he had managers saying their acts had rehearsed for that possibility

The most frustrating part is that it’s hard to believe that it would have happened on any of the other stages.

2 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

The most frustrating part is that it’s hard to believe that it would have happened on any of the other stages.

Bang on, it’s absolutely felt like the Pit/Lock Up was an after thought this year. It’s obvious rock/pop punk is on its way out at R&L but to cast it aside like that this year is poor considering the festival’s heritage

17 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Bang on, it’s absolutely felt like the Pit/Lock Up was an after thought this year. It’s obvious rock/pop punk is on its way out at R&L but to cast it aside like that this year is poor considering the festival’s heritage

It’s not a problem if they want to get rid of it, just let us know and we can make decisions on whether to buy a ticket or not based on that.

7 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

Just looking at some of the reviews for Slam Dunk. Amazing how many American bands on the bill considering how many pulled out of Reading/Leeds only a week ago.

Looking at least one setlist, Creeper for example a couple of big songs are missing. I did notice they didn't have the biggest set length but you would want to hear Black Rain and Suzanne.

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

Looking at least one setlist, Creeper for example a couple of big songs are missing. I did notice they didn't have the biggest set length but you would want to hear Black Rain and Suzanne.

Tbf they barely had any time - they played their two biggest songs from EIYA, an oldie (VCR), three from their new album and one from their new EP. I think it was perfect for a festival setlist. Going off the two Key Club shows, if they had space for two more songs it would have been those.

8 hours ago, sacred shape said:

Tbf they barely had any time - they played their two biggest songs from EIYA, an oldie (VCR), three from their new album and one from their new EP. I think it was perfect for a festival setlist. Going off the two Key Club shows, if they had space for two more songs it would have been those.

Oh I agree with you. I looked at their set time to be honest and I was skeptical what I'd get to listen to.

On 9/5/2021 at 12:49 AM, rivalschools.price said:

Just looking at some of the reviews for Slam Dunk. Amazing how many American bands on the bill considering how many pulled out of Reading/Leeds only a week ago.

It is impressive how many American acts were there but they did also have loads of pull outs too, they basically scrapped a stage as there were so many.

35 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Not sure if it was already debunked but looks like the rumours of Catfish breaking up aren’t true, or at least not yet anyway:

97068C4A-216B-4E81-9A76-3E694DE877B3.jpeg

I’ve just put something similar on the 2022 page from Kelly Jones’ interview with the NME about the gig. Reading that, and the NME’s Reading set review, you’d have to say it’s not looking good for the rumours

0127A3DE-749C-4263-8CED-749DE7BDC162.jpeg

Edited by andyrhodes24

4 hours ago, andyrhodes24 said:

I’ve just put something similar on the 2022 page from Kelly Jones’ interview with the NME about the gig. Reading that, and the NME’s Reading set review, you’d have to say it’s not looking good for the rumours

0127A3DE-749C-4263-8CED-749DE7BDC162.jpeg

If Kelly Jones knows about the rumours there’s no way the band don’t. Bad on the fans to be aware of it and just not comment on them if they aren’t splitting up.

48 minutes ago, jumperofftheshelf said:

If Kelly Jones knows about the rumours there’s no way the band don’t. Bad on the fans to be aware of it and just not comment on them if they aren’t splitting up.

Yeah that retweet of the R&L lineup didn't exactly put the rumours to bed. Very clear that something is going on, very much getting the impression that there'll be a statement in the coming weeks/months confirming the new a lot of us are fearing.

Just poor that nothing has been said yet and that the R&L gigs were complete and utter letdowns, the NME review hits the nail on the head: https://www.nme.com/reviews/live/catfish-the-bottlemen-reading-festival-2021-3031483

9 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Yeah that retweet of the R&L lineup didn't exactly put the rumours to bed. Very clear that something is going on, very much getting the impression that there'll be a statement in the coming weeks/months confirming the new a lot of us are fearing.

Just poor that nothing has been said yet and that the R&L gigs were complete and utter letdowns, the NME review hits the nail on the head: https://www.nme.com/reviews/live/catfish-the-bottlemen-reading-festival-2021-3031483

Yes but people found them decent at Leeds and they smashed it in Swansea.

7 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Not sure if it was already debunked but looks like the rumours of Catfish breaking up aren’t true, or at least not yet anyway:

97068C4A-216B-4E81-9A76-3E694DE877B3.jpeg

I saw Oasis and Foo Fighters do a stadium gig in December in Cardiff once (the Millennium Stadium). It was freezing.

All for open-air gigs but not when it’s that cold!

3 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Yes but people found them decent at Leeds and they smashed it in Swansea.

This is why I tend not to read gig reviews, completely subjective as experiences differ from person to person. If I could have got to the bar a bit more that day I’d have had a belting time watching them!

24 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

This is why I tend not to read gig reviews, completely subjective as experiences differ from person to person. If I could have got to the bar a bit more that day I’d have had a belting time watching them!

Yma6 were decent in swansea. Feeder were okay but their sound wasn't great and they are going through the motions now. Yonaka are definitely worth watching again, only going to get bigger. £40 for that gig though was unbeatable really.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, jumperofftheshelf said:

The fact we're chatting about it on here show's its good publicity. Nothing worse for a band than not being talked about

On 9/4/2021 at 4:24 PM, andyrhodes24 said:

It's no co-incidence that R&L started moving more towards pop music after 2017, when V Festival was cancelled. The festival is simply filling the void in that particular market.

R&L has always booked genres that are popular among the youth. The problem is that despite the amount of great rock bands to have come out the past five years or so, the music press does very little to promote them. They've been pushing this idea that rock is old, stale, boring and archaic. When there is quite clearly a market for rock music among young people. The occasional band that gets promoted, like Royal Blood and IDLES, seem to excite younger people.

1 hour ago, VCK said:

It's no co-incidence that R&L started moving more towards pop music after 2017, when V Festival was cancelled. The festival is simply filling the void in that particular market.

R&L has always booked genres that are popular among the youth. The problem is that despite the amount of great rock bands to have come out the past five years or so, the music press does very little to promote them. They've been pushing this idea that rock is old, stale, boring and archaic. When there is quite clearly a market for rock music among young people. The occasional band that gets promoted, like Royal Blood and IDLES, seem to excite younger people.

It doesn’t help the wider perception of rock and metal music when the UK’s biggest festival of that kind is stuck in the past, booking the same bands in the biggest positions year on year and stubbornly refusing to put faith in the younger, exciting bands who are the future. Sky Arts coverage of Download is dire year on year and if any young person who is into festivals was to flick it on on the off chance they wanted to see what Download as a festival was like, they would be greeted with the same old shit and think that nothing worth getting excited about has happened in the worlds of rock and metal for decades. 

• Like 1