2021 Lineup

16 minutes ago, sacred shape said:

I go to tonnes of gigs alone (probably about 40% of mine are, so like 20 a year), and went to the APE BMTH day alone. It's great being able to see who you want, stand where you want and take breaks when you want instead of compromising with other people. Literally no one cares if you're on your own, and I sometimes get chatting to random people especially if its a small stage/venue. Granted I haven't camped on my own, but I'm sure you can find people on Facebook groups to make friends with to camp. Hell, you two can make friends right now and camp together 😛

Ah fair enough I'm looking forward to it then! I just worried about sticking out like a sore thumb being the "weirdo" who camps alone (I know, i need to stop being so self conscious). I know some people going on the Sunday so I can see them then but its just the whole camping alone that scares me. Hopefully i'll meet some people while i'm there too.. like I said i didn't want to be the one loner who desperately tries to make friends with everyone, but I guess going alone is better than being sat at home sulking about not going 🤣

8 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Great response to someone speaking truth rather than changing their views to double standard bollocks because suddenly they can attend an event. All the fake shit the past however many months from people on here giving Boris earache and it's all suddenly forgotten just like that. Shouldn't actually be surprised though given that some people actually said it's okay and not a big deal for young people to catch covid given it's far less likely. Yet the last 4/5 people I know to catch it are 21 and under and two of them are quite unwell. 

I agree with you. I just don’t see the point in moaning about it. It’s not going to change. Either get on with it or avoid it. That’s how I see it 

8 hours ago, Rhcp1 said:

Could anyone possibly give me any info on what's it like going to the festival by themselves?

I've recently just come out of a 4 year relationship and am kind of considering going by myself if i can't get one of my mates to go but I don't know yet. 

I would be travelling over from Ireland and I've never even been to a pub by myself before let alone a festival or a holiday!

I've been going to Leeds for what would be 10 years now this year and I absolutely adore it and it's the thing I've been looking forward to the most after all this covid stuff but I'm a bit unsure of what to do😬 Could anyone offer any advice if possible please guys? Thank you 😊

Ive been to leeds 4 times on my own. Love it. Complete freedom, and there’s always groups that befriend you. 

Going with my missus this year and taking my little brother to his first ever festival, should be interesting.

more than happy to meet up for a few beers if you decide to attend. I’d recommend you do.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BeddingatReading said:

I’m in exactly the same position! I’d bought tickets to go with my ex after going to reading every year with her since 2015, I’d asked a mate to come along but he can’t get it off work so it looks like I’m going alone! 
Have people been alone and recommend it? I know nobody will notice who’s alone in a crowd of thousands of people but I feel really nervous even thinking about it!

I go to pretty much every gig alone (including festivals) and it definitely does have benefits! Can see who you want and just take things at your own pace, at the end of the day pretty much everyone is there to see the acts and once they're on nobody is going to notice who you're with!

4 minutes ago, LazyDavid said:

I go to pretty much every gig alone (including festivals) and it definitely does have benefits! Can see who you want and just take things at your own pace, at the end of the day pretty much everyone is there to see the acts and once they're on nobody is going to notice who you're with!

I will notice and judge! 😜

I've never done a proper festival by myself but when I have gone to gigs/day festivals it does make a nice change. I can go into the pit without having to worry about the missus being on her own, I can just drink at my own pace without having to wait on my mates to finish theirs for the next round and it's so much eaier to leave in the mass exist.

32 minutes ago, LazyDavid said:

You can always see who you want though. No one is stopping you 

Give it a rest, Gazza. Everyone on the planet knows that you think lateral flow tests are pointless by now and you clearly don’t get how vaccines work. 

I agree with the person who said just don’t go. You clearly don’t agree with large events going ahead so don’t go to them. There’s no point preaching to a bunch of people who are in favour for them going ahead. 

Festival season is in full swing, baby, and it’s bloody lovely. 

Edited by Andre91

2 minutes ago, BeddingatReading said:

Not if you have friends (or partners) who dont want to be or dont feel comfortable being left alone - I've had this problem before. 

Yeah, it's a bit rude when you go to a festival with a just a single mate/partner and tell them I will see you back at the tent at the end of the night, if not then maybe in the morning. You can get away with that when it's a larger group and so you can go off on your own and then later regroup.

Me and my missus had that those kinda debates about our last fest together where it was shall we see Prophets Of Rage or Lauryn Hill who clashed, luckily with Lauryn Hill always being late we ended up seeing both anyhow

29 minutes ago, jump said:

Yeah, it's a bit rude when you go to a festival with a just a single mate/partner and tell them I will see you back at the tent at the end of the night, if not then maybe in the morning. You can get away with that when it's a larger group and so you can go off on your own and then later regroup.

Me and my missus had that those kinda debates about our last fest together where it was shall we see Prophets Of Rage or Lauryn Hill who clashed, luckily with Lauryn Hill always being late we ended up seeing both anyhow

Yeah exactly, I think it's a lot easier as a man to go off alone too, we get a lot less hassle than a lone woman. I'd happily go off on my own and watch a band but if the person you're with doesn't feel comfortable then it's a bit of a dick move to just ditch them... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, theesundayroast said:

There's a solo campers page on Facebook which has always looked very handy for people in similar situations and by the looks of it has resulted in many long term friendships. Personally, I've done a few on my own in a little two man tent and had great joy in it. Granted I only really go to festivals for the music, it allows me to go and see exactly who I want and have much more freedom however it's also very easy to make friends in a crowd/ groups nearby where you're camping.

Sadly I'm not there for the whole weekend this year or I'd offer you to join but if you're looking for some company on the Friday, shoot me a PM and I'd be more than happy to catch up 🙂

Thank you very much mate for your reply really appreciate it! It's good to know that people do actually go on their own and they have just as much fun as they would if going with someone/groups. I pretty much go for the music too but love the laughs and fun that goes along with it too of course! One my mates might go with me if he can get off work if not I will have to assess my options. Thanks for your kindness if I do ill give you a shout, if not have a great day on the Friday anyway 😊

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BeddingatReading said:

I’m in exactly the same position! I’d bought tickets to go with my ex after going to reading every year with her since 2015, I’d asked a mate to come along but he can’t get it off work so it looks like I’m going alone! 
Have people been alone and recommend it? I know nobody will notice who’s alone in a crowd of thousands of people but I feel really nervous even thinking about it!

Crazy mate I'm not the only one in this position so! I was going with my ex for years and now have broken up. My best mate is going to see if work can let him off to go. Its such a mess when these things happen isn't it? From what the guys are saying on here people do go alone and seem to have a great weekend regardless so something to think about i suppose! It's just daunting when you've never been to a festival solo! 

Edited by Rhcp1

2 hours ago, Brandohoff said:

Ive been to leeds 4 times on my own. Love it. Complete freedom, and there’s always groups that befriend you. 

Going with my missus this year and taking my little brother to his first ever festival, should be interesting.

more than happy to meet up for a few beers if you decide to attend. I’d recommend you do.

That's great to hear mate and 4 times you have been on your own and had a great time 😊 everyone is so sound at the festival anyway i actually end up talking to and befriending people/groups at it anyway naturally, just the thought of doing it alone going in initially alone is quite strange to me. 

Have a great time with your missus and little brother I'm sure he'll love it too! If i decide to go I will give you a shout i actually don't know what im doing at at moment and waiting on my mate to see if he can go. Thank you again for your kindness mate 

11 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Defend it only being so many cases as we come up to 80k joint events. 90 cases out of 180k is still 90 cases. It's falling yes but 20k daily isn't good at all, we were raging at that before vaccination. There is no defence over the numbers rates falling, they shouldn't have been where they were and are due to lack of control in earlier stages, but let's forget that previous opinion when it comes to being able to have fun.

No one said it was but I'm not going to sit here and say it's okay anymore that delayed announcements and decisions were before. 

Yup you are right. People entering with a LFT result is as good as it gets. Shit people are quick to forget everything they wanted from Boris when it matters to their festival entry.

The standard of double standard on this board now if crazy. People are basically saying it's okay and accepting a route into an event that is 50% proof at the same time as there is also an option at the level of as covered as you could be. For greed and because they know the right people over others that have been canned and struggled.

I have never changed my view from the start regardless but how quickly heads turn.

Are you advocating a full lockdown of everything?

What should be allowed and not be allowed in the UK at the moment?

If you’re sitting in a position where by we should be going for zero Covid that’s fair enough but not really a convo for this thread.

As the situation stands in the UK it seems highly unlikely that Reading/ Leeds will be a huge contributor to increasing rates and therefore there is no reason for them not to go ahead under the current restrictions. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Rhcp1 said:

That's great to hear mate and 4 times you have been on your own and had a great time 😊 everyone is so sound at the festival anyway i actually end up talking to and befriending people/groups at it anyway naturally, just the thought of doing it alone going in initially alone is quite strange to me. 

Have a great time with your missus and little brother I'm sure he'll love it too! If i decide to go I will give you a shout i actually don't know what im doing at at moment and waiting on my mate to see if he can go. Thank you again for your kindness mate 

Hey man! So I’ve been going to Leeds since I was 7 years old with the family. I’m now 21! I go by myself nowadays though as my friends are boring 😂 so if you (or anyone else on this forum) wanna meet up just give us a shout! Would love to have a few beers with some of you 🙌🏻 

14 minutes ago, TownNation said:

Hey man! So I’ve been going to Leeds since I was 7 years old with the family. I’m now 21! I go by myself nowadays though as my friends are boring 😂 so if you (or anyone else on this forum) wanna meet up just give us a shout! Would love to have a few beers with some of you 🙌🏻 

Hey Mate, wow starting off at 7 haha now that is impressive! Fair play to you too! Thank you if i do end up going alone I sure will give you a shout for a beers 🍻

• Like 1

A lot of people going to Leeds on this forum.. if anyone going to Reading fancies meeting up for a few beers hit me up! I know a few people going on the Sunday but the other 2 days I'm totally alone because I can't convince anyone to stay the whole weekend!

Also, on another subject are we assuming that all bands now are pretty much 100% with no international COVID dropouts (obviously with the exception of people actually getting the virus). Quite looking forward to seeing MK but he's got American tour dates, before coming over here to play R&L and Creamfields, do we think bands like that have already got the international clearance then, as surely if they couldnt make it they would know by now?

If anyone at Reading fancies a pint and going to watch City Morgue or Bob Vylan i’d be well up for that. Going with a group of 7 of my mates in which i’m the only lad and they’re very much going for the indie and dance acts (which i’ll definitely be watching, but highly doubt i’ll be able to drag any to the pit for city morgue or bob vylan haha) so would be a nice change to go for a pint and see someone different!

Edited by TheWaters

5 hours ago, Benj said:

Are you advocating a full lockdown of everything?

What should be allowed and not be allowed in the UK at the moment?

If you’re sitting in a position where by we should be going for zero Covid that’s fair enough but not really a convo for this thread.

As the situation stands in the UK it seems highly unlikely that Reading/ Leeds will be a huge contributor to increasing rates and therefore there is no reason for them not to go ahead under the current restrictions. 

My whole being is that it should be done under fully vaccinated circumstances period but yet the majority who were pissed at Boris delaying new rules for a week etc and why not now all the way along are happy for him to delay this six weeks because it allows for their enjoyment of an event. Yet it was totally opposite when it only involved the mixing of people, rule of 6 etc etc.

I don't think there is a clear way to say that many people in an open area won't have an affect on cases. I think it will but that's my view. For me those in authority have agreed to let thousands into an event with potentially many false negative results due to greed. That is no safer in my view than having let people mingle at events much earlier that had to cancel off of the basis of one vaccination.

Not everyone has to have that view, I don't care who agrees, who doesn't, who has an opinion against it. It's just my view. And I feel strongly about that because people have died unnecessarily with completely no choice about the matter.

16 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

My whole being is that it should be done under fully vaccinated circumstances period but yet the majority who were pissed at Boris delaying new rules for a week etc and why not now all the way along are happy for him to delay this six weeks because it allows for their enjoyment of an event. Yet it was totally opposite when it only involved the mixing of people, rule of 6 etc etc.

I don't think there is a clear way to say that many people in an open area won't have an affect on cases. I think it will but that's my view. For me those in authority have agreed to let thousands into an event with potentially many false negative results due to greed. That is no safer in my view than having let people mingle at events much earlier that had to cancel off of the basis of one vaccination.

Not everyone has to have that view, I don't care who agrees, who doesn't, who has an opinion against it. It's just my view. And I feel strongly about that because people have died unnecessarily with completely no choice about the matter.

Its obviously an economic decision, the economy needs to turn though and no great number of people are dying unecessarilly.

The current COVID deaths/ day are roughly now the annual equivalent of Flu in 2019 (despite this being a COVID surge,  (Flu surge takes far more per day).

The vaccines are protecting the at risk, cases will occur but we can't stay shut down, unless we're now basically gonna lockdown every winter for all the communicable diseases that take thousands every year that we've lived with for decades

Edited by Benj

8 minutes ago, Benj said:

Its obviously an economic decision, the economy needs to turn though and no great number of people are dying unecessarilly.

The current COVID deaths/ day are roughly now the annual equivalent of Flu in 2019 (despite this being a COVID surge,  (Flu surge takes far more per day).

The vaccines are protecting the at risk, cases will occur but we can't stay shut down, unless we're now basically gonna lockdown every winter for all the communicable diseases that take thousands every year that we've lived with for decades

You're missing my point, I didn't say stay permanently say shut down. I've said act on the same values of protecting people fully as what was done through the rest of it. I stick by my own values for that, others are not, their choice. It's a wrong choice, it's a double standard choice but it's theirs.

Same as this is your opinion, fair enough.  

26 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

You're missing my point, I didn't say stay permanently say shut down. I've said act on the same values of protecting people fully as what was done through the rest of it. I stick by my own values for that, others are not, their choice. It's a wrong choice, it's a double standard choice but it's theirs.

They’ve made no effort to protect people fully. 

Having a festival now is far more ‘safe’/ sensible than planning to open for Xmas last year or sending the kids back in March ever was.

Those decisions made zero sense, this one now does, esp in the context of what went before.

If we are to apply the same level of lockdown now, eventually bought in at Xmas last year, we should have been locking down for the flu each winter for the last 20 years+.

it’s not double standards as the situation is very different now

Edited by Benj
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

Are you going to the festival?