2021 Lineup

I always saw the R1/NME stage as booking “cooler” and more “alternative” acts compared to the main stage.

I know that wasn’t always the case but it still felt like there was a distinction between the sort of acts booked.

Edited by TKOCF

39 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

Have we really gained much by there being two main stages?

There’s only 6 or 7 bands on each stage instead of 9 or 10 on the main stage in previous years and we’ve lost the Radio 1 stage that typically had 10 or 11 bands per day.

Also, admittedly we get 6 headliners instead of 3 but  the 6 ‘headliners’ are in general smaller than the headliners we normally get, they’re mostly bands who would be co-headliners at best.

I like the two Main Stages idea. I think it makes R&L stand out even more against other big festivals in this country. 

44 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

Have we really gained much by there being two main stages?

There’s only 6 or 7 bands on each stage instead of 9 or 10 on the main stage in previous years and we’ve lost the Radio 1 stage that typically had 10 or 11 bands per day.

Also, admittedly we get 6 headliners instead of 3 but  the 6 ‘headliners’ are in general smaller than the headliners we normally get, they’re mostly bands who would be co-headliners at best.

Think it’s missed due to the Radio 1 stage being a good atmosphere but it’s better for the size of acts that can be booked.

I disagree with the argument the headliners are smaller with 6 because Liam and Stormzy were meant to be headlining in a 3 alongside Rage and I’d say Post Malone is arguably bigger for the R&L crowd and can sell out arenas. Biffy are also a worthy headliner. 

6 minutes ago, thetime said:

I remember for year on year people have been crying out for 2 outdoor stages at reading, Perhaps this year is the best year to do it.

Lets hope for dry weather.

Do not get me wrong- Love the idea of 6 headliners just hope we can see R1 return in some form in the future

Perhaps this is just an experiment on their part? With Covid and all that.

Try a two main stage setting this year and if it works, push forward with it. if it doesn’t, bring back the R1/NME stage for 22.

The lineup does feel a lot less packed than it has done over the years. 

11 hours ago, foolee said:

Think it’s missed due to the Radio 1 stage being a good atmosphere but it’s better for the size of acts that can be booked.

I disagree with the argument the headliners are smaller with 6 because Liam and Stormzy were meant to be headlining in a 3 alongside Rage and I’d say Post Malone is arguably bigger for the R&L crowd and can sell out arenas. Biffy are also a worthy headliner. 

Biffy aren’t a worthy headliner, as much as I’m looking forward to seeing them, they’re irrelevant these days, they’re a co-headliner these days, didn’t they co-head with Fall Out Boy a few years ago? They’re no more relevant now than they were then. In my opinion the MSE headliners are worthy of headlining the festival, the MSW ones could co-headline. 

2 minutes ago, BeddingatReading said:

Biffy aren’t a worthy headliner, as much as I’m looking forward to seeing them, they’re irrelevant these days, they’re a co-headliner these days, didn’t they co-head with Fall Out Boy a few years ago? They’re no more relevant now than they were then. In my opinion the MSE headliners are worthy of headlining the festival, the MSW ones could co-headline. 

Don’t bite… don’t bite… 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, BeddingatReading said:

33d.gif

• Like 1

I’m really, really looking forward to being in the crowd for Russ Millions. Am I right in thinking he will be the first ever UK Drill artist to play the Main Stage? 

As someone that will have been going to Leeds for 11 years straight (sans 2020, obvs), I find it really exciting seeing artists like Russ getting Main Stage slots because he is guaranteed to get a massive, energetic crowd and to me it’s really cool to see so many young people losing their heads for something that started as an underground thing.

It’s really similar to how my friends and I (and thousands of others) would pile in front of the Main Stage for acts like While She Sleeps and Bury Tomorrow back in 2013, for example. 

There was a time, around 2016, when I really bemoaned how the festival was changing how it booked the bigger stages but in 2017, after seeing Giggs’ crowd size and energy levels obliterate Architects’ crowd, I was turned. 

I’m now looking forward to seeing artists like Digga D and Unknown T, for example, likely getting Main Stage slots in the coming years. 

I might not enjoy all of the music, I actually find a lot of it repetitive and indistinguishable from the last artist but the stuff I like, I like. UK Drill, like Grime before it, is punk af and I find that really exciting. 

Edited by Andre91

11 hours ago, nathanh said:

I would argue Stormzy, Posty and Liam are Reading headline slot potential however the other stage maybe not… I cant imagine booking Disclosure in 2021??

Honestly most excited for Disclosure by far now QOTSA have gone. Dance headliners are always really fun and they are the biggest dance name to be booked since, well, they were booked in 2016. Plenty of people like dance at the festival so I think it makes sense when theres 6 headliners to have one that is dance and i bet they are quite cheap too. Without the R1 tent there is no room for the higher level dance acts such as Pendulum, Bicep or Andy C anymore really who were common bookings.

----

Just seen over in the glasto forums this bombay show, secret set potential maybe? Playing APE on Monday too so would have to drive to Leeds and back but really near Reading.

https://islingtonassemblyhall.co.uk/events/bombay-bicycle-club-26th-aug-islington-assembly-hall-london-tickets/

46 minutes ago, BeddingatReading said:

Step aside Piers Morgan, there’s new kid in town.

13 minutes ago, BeddingatReading said:

I don’t think the majority of the target demographic have even heard of Biffy. To be fair they probably hadn’t heard of QOTSA either…

I guess you’re right. At least I’ll have plenty of room to manoeuvre when I’m the only person watching them.  

Edited by Andre91
  • Upvote 1

I’m so fucking excited for Biffy and will pull all my friends with me to see them. They’re headline set in 2016, although not as good as the videos I’ve seen of 2013, was the first one I saw that left me amazed, they were brilliant. They know how to perform and there’s plenty of people who will go and see them, more than I imagine would see QOTSA

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I guess you’re right. At least I’ll have plenty of room to manoeuvre when I’m the only person watching them.  

They’ll probably all still be there just complaining all the way through the set! This is the worst thing about two main stages, if you don’t like the headliners you’re pretty screwed, at least when we had the R1 stage there was a bit of choice. Luckily I’m happy to see all six headliners

5 minutes ago, Gerard the Fab said:

I’m so fucking excited for Biffy and will pull all my friends with me to see them. They’re headline set in 2016, although not as good as the videos I’ve seen of 2013, was the first one I saw that left me amazed, they were brilliant. They know how to perform and there’s plenty of people who will go and see them, more than I imagine would see QOTSA

2013 is still the best headline set I’ve ever seen. It was fabulous. 

After the announcement the other day, I had a trawl through the comments below on Twitter and the Biffy announcement seemed to go down pretty well. I only saw a handful of really negative comments but there was plenty of people praising the booking and saying they were looking forward to their set. 

1 hour ago, BeddingatReading said:

They’ll probably all still be there just complaining all the way through the set! This is the worst thing about two main stages, if you don’t like the headliners you’re pretty screwed, at least when we had the R1 stage there was a bit of choice. Luckily I’m happy to see all six headliners

This is the nail on the head really. If i’m not a fan will just go to the dance tent anyway or head to the silent disco a bit early to avoid the queue. Will probably be seeing Catfish, Disclosure, Biffy and LG i reckon and then i guess MK and Solardo.