2021 Lineup

2 hours ago, nathanh said:

Looking at the Lollapalooza map for Berlin (The one Melvin produces) They appear to almost be opposite each other which I think would work well- however the repetition of side by side makes me think maybe it will take that approach? 

DE948108-3DD4-4C4F-B30C-D3A2787BC6CB.jpeg

That looks like a decent set up! Plenty of space for the crowd to move around. 

The Lollapalooza stages are significantly smaller than the reading one, so could potentially fit in the same space at Reading, I still think the ground drop off to the right of the stage at Reading (as you look at it) would be an issue.

There is also the fact that North-South would make far more sense than East-West, if set up that way.  I suspect they will use those same stages though either way, the main stage at Reading has got so vast, it would be made to have two of them!

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Jeeeez. I wish I had no verbal tics like you smooth talkers smh my head

Mine wasn’t a criticism; I’m terrible for conversational fillers! I didn’t even notice Melvin doing it until I saw the comment below the video, then I couldn’t not notice it. 

My students have, on occasion, counted the amount of times I say ‘yeah’ and ‘like’ in an hour. It is quite funny when you realise the amount we all do this. 

Edited by Andre91
  • Upvote 1

Same scale, Reading and Lollapalooza sites 🤔...

The is a significant drop off just south and beyond the tree line. If they tore up the trees though, I suspect they could have the two stages angled in at the north and south of the site.

I still thing the East and West thing is a bit weird if they do do that, it would allow them to share one back stage and other logistics all at the eastern end of the site

image.png

Edited by Benj
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Benj said:

Same scale, Reading and Lollapalooza sites 🤔...

The is a significant drop off just south and beyond the tree line. If they tore up the trees though, I suspect they could have the two stages angled in at the north and south of the site.

I still thing the East and West thing is a bit weird if they do do that, it would allow them to share one back stage and other logistics all at the eastern end of the site

image.png

That seems like a lot of hassle though and with no radio 1 stage I'm thinking the dance stage will go where the radio 1 used to be would give more room for the main stage arena. The 1xtra, introducing and FR/Pit/Lock Up all go behind the trees where FR and the pit were to avoid sound clash. I'm thinking the main stages could go in the bottom right corner and the other sort of at the bottom left where the dance stage has previously been (Not totally in your picture). Even though they stages would be south if they angle them slightly like at Lollapalooza then they get away with the east and west thing. 

Courteeners selling 50K tickets in 90 minutes surely put them in with a shout for headlining soon (assuming the whole 6 acts thing sticks around beyond this year). 

I know a lot of people around these parts loathe them, but wouldn’t look out of place among this years crop of headliners. Catfish couldn’t shift 50K tickets. 

50 minutes ago, thatTFBguy said:

Courteeners selling 50K tickets in 90 minutes surely put them in with a shout for headlining soon (assuming the whole 6 acts thing sticks around beyond this year). 

I know a lot of people around these parts loathe them, but wouldn’t look out of place among this years crop of headliners. Catfish couldn’t shift 50K tickets. 

It was a Manchester show though, they would sell about 5k in the south.

17 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I still don't see it. They are an academy band outside Manchester. Maybe Ally Pally in the capital.

Depends where you go, think the last proper UK tour was a mix of arenas in the North and academies further South. They'd get a Reading crowd no doubt but they're possibly in the weird category of R&L wanting them to sub but they won't settle for less than a headline slot

1 hour ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Depends where you go, think the last proper UK tour was a mix of arenas in the North and academies further South. They'd get a Reading crowd no doubt but they're possibly in the weird category of R&L wanting them to sub but they won't settle for less than a headline slot

Yeah I could see Courteeners as one of 6 headliners. Certainly big enough in the North and headline smaller festivals ala Catfish. Would make sense especially if they want an indie act headlining and they manage to secure RATM in 2022. Save some money on Courteeners I'd imagine. 

Courteeners sit in a weird place for me. They arent my type of music personally but I can see their size and appeal. In the North, maybe they could headline. But Reading I dont think so, I think Courteeners name gets boosted by music fans but commercially from an outside perspective, I dont see them big enough yet for R&L headline. As @thewayiamsaid, they might be able to do Ally Pally but i typically look at Ally Pally sized bookings for R1 headliners and performers, not mainstage. 

2 hours ago, Huwey said:

Why do you say that?

We are now looking at until mid July for restrictions to start getting lifted. A month later they are going to be fine with 80k teenagers in a field? With most of the attendees unlikely to be vaccinated?