2021 Lineup

On 3/14/2021 at 1:27 AM, dentalplan said:

It's a mixed-genre stage. Festivals normally have them. You have to do some mental gymnastics to justify FR saying "we already have two stages for all genres, do we really need a third?".

I think it should stay, just saying its the most likely to go. I was using the same logic as what was used about the 1xtra - i wasn't saying it was good logic

1 hour ago, gfa said:

I think it should stay, just saying its the most likely to go. I was using the same logic as what was used about the 1xtra - i wasn't saying it was good logic

"1Xtra Stage is unnecessary because there is now hip hop and grime on most stages, unlike when it was created"

"Festival Republic Stage is unnecessary because there is now all genres on most stages, unlike when it was created"

🤔

On 3/13/2021 at 6:40 AM, Gerard the Fab said:

Russel Kane just self confirmed on Soccer AM I think, nice to know there’s some sort of reasonably funny comedian there

Nice to know someone still watches soccer AM!

On 3/14/2021 at 5:20 AM, rivalschools.price said:

Yeah, Death from above had a small crowd in Reading too, loads more than 15 luckily but still pretty small. They were great though.

Saying that, I don’t know where everyone was that day as they certainly weren’t watching FOB as that crowd was tiny. 

I walked passed Brian Fallon one year and that crowd was tiny too. To be fair, most of his likely audience were watching Chilis and Mastodon (which highlights another problem at Reading which is strange clashes)

Wolf Alice filled the R1 no worries, imagine everyone else not at the dance tent. must have gone back to camp

They should definitely offer alternative programming on the small stages with larger clashes. 

As someone who goes to the FR/ Pit a lot, the crowds vary hugely, and often surprisingly as to who’s playing. Yungblud had a relatively small crowd whenever he played it (2018?) while it was mobbed for Cavetown (2019) the opposite of what I’d expect

I think both stages should remain as is. The Pit keeps that genre going, however trendy it is (and it will be back at some point when the cycle changes) while the FR is already genreless. The festival needs to offer alternatives if it’s to remain relevant. 

On 3/14/2021 at 1:08 AM, TheWaters said:

Never went into the FR in 2017 but saw a few people over 2018 and 19.

Death From Above was my favourite set in there in 2018 but there were genuinely about 15 of us max. Up against FOB/Wolf Alice I think. 

Saw Yonaka, Touts, Spring King, HMLTD and Demob Happy in there in 2018, all of which had fairly small crowds. However saw Ocean Alley, Sports Team & Peace in there in 2019 and all of which had a decent sized crowd. Don’t think I’ve ever been in there for a packed out set and it’s usually got the smallest crowd whenever I pass

Seen a few packed crowds in the FR tent - Catfish & the Bottlemen was the busiest I've seen it - closely followed by The Amazons in Leeds. Vistas also had a good crowd as did Wolf Alice's secret set (unsurprising). Also Wombats headline set looked busy when I walked past in 2015.

But yeah there have been some small crowds - mainly for headliners - Isaac Gracie, Frank Turner and Brian Fallon all had half a tent but were awesome.

I really want them to be there after watching that. Just a perfect festival band.

I’ve taken seeing bands like The Vaccines for granted this past year. They’re such a sun shining, cold beer in hand, greatest hits set band. I welcome that after this past year. 

Edited by Andre91
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Jack.194 said:

surely

Reckon they’ve gotta be hinting at it surely with this and the last video playing Reading. With them doing WDEFTV anniversary celebrations I could definitely see them on the bill playing that. If we get them doing the first album in full and TDCC still doing the Tourist History celebration and playing that in full I’ll be a very happy man. (Yes I know TDCC near enough play it in full anyway, but still)

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, TheWaters said:

Reckon they’ve gotta be hinting at it surely with this and the last video playing Reading. With them doing WDEFTV anniversary celebrations I could definitely see them on the bill playing that. If we get them doing the first album in full and TDCC still doing the Tourist History celebration and playing that in full I’ll be a very happy man. (Yes I know TDCC near enough play it in full anyway, but still)

Was the plan for TDCC to play tourist history in full then? I’d be well up for that, however, I do enjoy the other albums so I’d also love the usual set

On 3/14/2021 at 9:20 AM, rivalschools.price said:

Yeah, Death from above had a small crowd in Reading too, loads more than 15 luckily but still pretty small. They were great though.

Saying that, I don’t know where everyone was that day as they certainly weren’t watching FOB as that crowd was tiny. 

I walked passed Brian Fallon one year and that crowd was tiny too. To be fair, most of his likely audience were watching Chilis and Mastodon (which highlights another problem at Reading which is strange clashes)

I was in the FR tent for the Brian Fallon set, it was incredible. 

36 minutes ago, rascalpete said:

Was the plan for TDCC to play tourist history in full then? I’d be well up for that, however, I do enjoy the other albums so I’d also love the usual set

I think it was more just a rumour but they seemed to be doing a lot of promotion for the 10 year anniversary of tourist history so it would’ve been fitting. Think they usually play around 8 from that album anyway but it’d be nice to hear Come Back Home and You Are Not Stubborn (I believe those are the two they don’t tend to play)

32 minutes ago, Frohman_MD said:

Reckon Foals are in with a shout for a secret set after announcing their rescheduled tour? 

20210315_170320.jpg

No idea but I personally hope not.

I know they’re generally quite popular, but I saw their secret set at Glastonbury and I honestly thought it was terrible.

2 hours ago, Jack.194 said:

No idea but I personally hope not.

I know they’re generally quite popular, but I saw their secret set at Glastonbury and I honestly thought it was terrible.

19 minutes ago, Samjones said:

You’ve got to be taking the piss. Absolutely unreal set

I'm pretty sure I organised my tax returns during a Foals gig several years ago. An incredibly boring experience from start to finish.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

7 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I'm pretty sure I organised my tax returns during a Foals gig several years ago. An incredibly boring experience from start to finish.

Thank you! I know everyone seems to love them but I really just wasn’t feeling it, also saw them headline Reading and wasn’t a fan of that either.

7 hours ago, Samjones said:

You’ve got to be taking the piss. Absolutely unreal set

unfortunately not! I was excited to see them, but incredibly disappointed

On Lowlands the festival has also announced a lot less big name acts than last year. See first 2020/2021 announcements from them below. Noticeable omissions from 2020 are Fever 333, Lewis Capaldi and Stormzy all of which who are meant to be playing R&L 2021 which seems slightly strange. Also might not bode well for Rex Organge County and Sam Fender being announced for R&L 2021.

image.png.a1ad782f6d76d855d04614f487ff2b35.pngimage.png.efa010b1df475e703e4fe9054050d133.png