2021 Lineup

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Maybe. Maybe I'm just thinking of something FR hasn't caught up to yet.

Another idea that would probably be better than what they have now but not perfect, would be to alternate between 1Xtra and The Pit in the same stage. So for instance this year they could have one day 1Xtra on the day Liam Gallagher and QOTSA headline, and the other two days The Pit.

It doesn't give them the versatility that abolishing the stages would but at least it should mean that they can just programme a stage that is an alternative to what's on main, rather than closing early or having weird gaps in the middle of the day because the main stage draw is too strong. 

Not sure they'd want to get rid of/reduce the prominence of the 1xtra though, I feel like it's only growing in popularity

23 minutes ago, Quorn said:

Not sure they'd want to get rid of/reduce the prominence of the 1xtra though, I feel like it's only growing in popularity

Is it? I think it was growing when it was introduced in 2013 but now rap is so popular that it was last on FR, The Pit and all over R1 and Main Stage (now with a headliner or two every year) so it's not really necessary anymore.

Stage looked tragic in 2019. Dappy!

14 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

That idea isn’t bad. That’s how it used to be up until 2013(?). We used to get 2 days of Lock Up and one day of the Dance Stage. I can’t see it happening though, not just yet at least. I think they’ll just keep both the Pit/Lock Up and 1xtra for now. 

Aye that's where I got the idea. Just wondering because it does seem like they might have to get rid to make space for another Main Stage. All just a guessing game at the moment.

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Is it? I think it was growing when it was introduced in 2013 but now rap is so popular that it was last on FR, The Pit and all over R1 and Main Stage (now with a headliner or two every year) so it's not really necessary anymore.

Aye that's where I got the idea. Just wondering because it does seem like they might have to get rid to make space for another Main Stage. All just a guessing game at the moment.

Yeah I'd say so. Rap in general has definitely spread across the other stages, but the kind of rap that kids out of year 11 listen to is very much still the 1xtra stuff, along with those that are big enough to be on main and R1. Personally, nobody I know of went to the pit or FR for any rap acts and speaking to most people my age, they say they spent all their time in the 1xtra

Just now, Quorn said:

Yeah I'd say so. Rap in general has definitely spread across the other stages, but the kind of rap that kids out of year 11 listen to is very much still the 1xtra stuff, along with those that are big enough to be on main and R1. Personally, nobody I know of went to the pit or FR for any rap acts and speaking to most people my age, they say they spent all their time in the 1xtra

Fair. Can't argue with that.

Just now, dentalplan said:

Agreed about the 1Xtra. For the first 2/3 years of it being a thing, it was always rammed and had solid lineups because it was something different. But the audience it catered to is now catered to across the festival and across all stages, more so than any other ‘scene’, if you will, so, yeah, it has become a little more redundant than in years gone by. 

The FR seems to get a bit of a pass when talking about stages with diminishing crowds. How does that fare these days? Since I’ve been going to Leeds (2010), it is the stage I have spent the least time in (other than the Dance tent) so I’ve never really got a good look at the kinds of crowds it pulls, particularly later in the day. I think I’ve only seen The 1975 (2013), Mayday Parade (2014) and Pulled Apart By Horses (2016) in there and not a lot else. I’m curious as to how many people the FR lineups pull in comparison to the Pit/Lock Up, which, in recent years, seems to be really quiet until about 6pm-ish. 

11 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Agreed about the 1Xtra. For the first 2/3 years of it being a thing, it was always rammed and had solid lineups because it was something different. But the audience it catered to is now catered to across the festival and across all stages, more so than any other ‘scene’, if you will, so, yeah, it has become a little more redundant than in years gone by. 

The FR seems to get a bit of a pass when talking about stages with diminishing crowds. How does that fare these days? Since I’ve been going to Leeds (2010), it is the stage I have spent the least time in (other than the Dance tent) so I’ve never really got a good look at the kinds of crowds it pulls, particularly later in the day. I think I’ve only seen The 1975 (2013), Mayday Parade (2014) and Pulled Apart By Horses (2016) in there and not a lot else. I’m curious as to how many people the FR lineups pull in comparison to the Pit/Lock Up, which, in recent years, seems to be really quiet until about 6pm-ish. 

I saw Vistas in the FR in 2019 and they pulled a really big crowd. It was a 12pm slot I think?

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I went in for Kate Nash against Kendrick in 2018, it was alright I guess, not massive.

ive mentioned the Amazons in there, that was absolutely rammed

Tom Grennan seemed reasonably popular when he headlined it. I think it’s an important stage tho, it’s a place that seems as the obvious next step from the introducing 

In regards to the Pit and the 1xtra, I agree with most said. I think the Pit stays purely due to it being the only place to see that genre of act really. The 1xtra definitely feels like it could be scrapped as the stuff is spread around the other stages. However, I don’t think they need to get rid of the R1 and another stage, and I’m of the opinion that the R1 won’t be a thing and so I think we’ll have the 1xtra

love the idea of non specific stages tho, names could be funner 😂😂

2 minutes ago, Gerard the Fab said:

I went in for Kate Nash against Kendrick in 2018, it was alright I guess, not massive.

ive mentioned the Amazons in there, that was absolutely rammed

Tom Grennan seemed reasonably popular when he headlined it. I think it’s an important stage tho, it’s a place that seems as the obvious next step from the introducing 

In regards to the Pit and the 1xtra, I agree with most said. I think the Pit stays purely due to it being the only place to see that genre of act really. The 1xtra definitely feels like it could be scrapped as the stuff is spread around the other stages. However, I don’t think they need to get rid of the R1 and another stage, and I’m of the opinion that the R1 won’t be a thing and so I think we’ll have the 1xtra

love the idea of non specific stages tho, names could be funner 😂😂

The 'Haha you all thought we'd book Arctic Monkeys again Stage' 

Surely if we think a stage was to go, the obvious choice would be to merge the Festival Republic with the Pit? Seems illogical to me to remove the 1xtra even if its become a bit redundant as the genre is massive and growing. The festival republic stage is redundant by the same logic and has been covered by the R1/Main for like 10 years.

Could maybe see the Introducing stage going (or the comedy tent honestly, does anyone even go in there? its hardly like its something pulling people to the festival but i guess its cheap to run? 90% of people don't give a shit about it though i bet)

Never went into the FR in 2017 but saw a few people over 2018 and 19.

Death From Above was my favourite set in there in 2018 but there were genuinely about 15 of us max. Up against FOB/Wolf Alice I think. 

Saw Yonaka, Touts, Spring King, HMLTD and Demob Happy in there in 2018, all of which had fairly small crowds. However saw Ocean Alley, Sports Team & Peace in there in 2019 and all of which had a decent sized crowd. Don’t think I’ve ever been in there for a packed out set and it’s usually got the smallest crowd whenever I pass

1 hour ago, gfa said:

Surely if we think a stage was to go, the obvious choice would be to merge the Festival Republic with the Pit? Seems illogical to me to remove the 1xtra even if its become a bit redundant as the genre is massive and growing. The festival republic stage is redundant by the same logic and has been covered by the R1/Main for like 10 years.

It's a mixed-genre stage. Festivals normally have them. You have to do some mental gymnastics to justify FR saying "we already have two stages for all genres, do we really need a third?".

8 hours ago, TheWaters said:

Never went into the FR in 2017 but saw a few people over 2018 and 19.

Death From Above was my favourite set in there in 2018 but there were genuinely about 15 of us max. Up against FOB/Wolf Alice I think. 

Saw Yonaka, Touts, Spring King, HMLTD and Demob Happy in there in 2018, all of which had fairly small crowds. However saw Ocean Alley, Sports Team & Peace in there in 2019 and all of which had a decent sized crowd. Don’t think I’ve ever been in there for a packed out set and it’s usually got the smallest crowd whenever I pass

Yeah, Death from above had a small crowd in Reading too, loads more than 15 luckily but still pretty small. They were great though.

Saying that, I don’t know where everyone was that day as they certainly weren’t watching FOB as that crowd was tiny. 

I walked passed Brian Fallon one year and that crowd was tiny too. To be fair, most of his likely audience were watching Chilis and Mastodon (which highlights another problem at Reading which is strange clashes)

1 hour ago, rivalschools.price said:

(which highlights another problem at Reading which is strange clashes)

Forever annoyed of Kasabian vs Fatboy Slim vs Bears Den in 2017

And Post Malone vs no one

11 hours ago, Tom Connolly said:

what. 

I hated Kendrick Lamar back then, now I love him but it just wasn’t my music then and I couldn’t stand him. We left early after seeing one song tho.

Regret it greatly tbh

41 minutes ago, Gerard the Fab said:

Forever annoyed of Kasabian vs Fatboy Slim vs Bears Den in 2017

And Post Malone vs no one

I hated Kendrick Lamar back then, now I love him but it just wasn’t my music then and I couldn’t stand him. We left early after seeing one song tho.

Regret it greatly tbh

Yeah, putting the only two punks bands for the whole day, Slaves and The Bronx, at the same time was another bizarre one.

2 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

Saying that, I don’t know where everyone was that day as they certainly weren’t watching FOB as that crowd was tiny.

I believe most people called it a day, especially after the rain (it was also quite cold). Not to mention the fact that Post Malone and Travis Scott are much more popular among teenagers.

4 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

Yeah, Death from above had a small crowd in Reading too, loads more than 15 luckily but still pretty small. They were great though.

Haha it was definitely an exaggeration but it really did feel like there was barely anyone in there being stood at the front. Felt bad for DFA, deffo didn’t deserve a crowd that small. One of the best sets of the weekend.

Bicep/Annie Mac one after the other had packed out the dance stage too tbf so I imagine that was a large portion of people.