2021 Lineup

12 hours ago, Jonathan Jonathan said:

Whilst I dunno if The Strokes will be back anytime soon, I would think some of their side projects would be a good get (for future years, not 2021). Specifically I think Albert Hammond Jr could be a good early afternoon main stage slot and Nick Valensi’s CRX a good early afternoon R1 or later Festival Republic set.

The Strokes returning is 1000x more likely than any of their side projects.

13 hours ago, VCK said:

In terms of newer bands I'd love to see White Reaper and Skating Polly booked. Also let's have The Chats back please.

the chats need to come back, smoko would be mint

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, gfa said:

The Strokes returning is 1000x more likely than any of their side projects.

I don’t think the majority of their side projects would but I could see Albert Hammond Jr. He did a few European festivals in 2018 and his last album was comparatively successful and would sit comfortably with the other Reading Wombats-esque indie pop. The main barrier I see is that he’s too far into his career to take a low position. There’s very few artists lower on the R&L bills who have been around 10+ years.

God, imagine The Voidz at Reading. That’d be hilariously odd.

Edited by Jonathan Jonathan

22 minutes ago, Jonathan Jonathan said:

The main barrier I see is that he’s too far into his career to take a low position. There’s very few artists lower on the R&L bills who have been around 10+ years.

I would think he'd happily take an evening Festival Republic Stage slot, going off the other slots he takes. But he's not touring at the moment - The Strokes haven't even begun to tour The New Abnormal yet.

18 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I would think he'd happily take an evening Festival Republic Stage slot, going off the other slots he takes. But he's not touring at the moment - The Strokes haven't even begun to tour The New Abnormal yet.

Yeah, like I said none would be this year of course. I think he’s working on a new album so would be 2022 at the earliest, probably later.

Hope The Strokes at least do a proper UK tour next year.

14 hours ago, sacred shape said:

You got song rec's for them? I tried to listen but didn't click

Might Be Right, Judy French, Eagle Beach, Little Silver Cross, The Stack and Headwind are all good starting points.

They're like a mish mash of The Strokes, Weezer and 70s/80s power pop type stuff so if you're into that kind of thing you'll definitely like them.

• Like 1

Bit of a mammoth post, apologies.

Spent the past half hour or so looking at previous announcements to see what days/months are most common, and just generally what patterns there are. Also looked at ‘pre-announcements’ and saw how common they were, and how long before the actual announcement a pre-announced usually comes.

I only went back to the 2015 festival, as that’s the first one I attended. I’ve also counted big announcements only, so only announcements that contain: headliners; a large number of fairly prominent acts (I haven’t included the BBC Introducing Stage or Alternative Stage announcements); or a change of poster.

Here’s what I found.

Pre-announcements:

Pre-announcements happen for the absolute majority of Reading and Leeds announcements. 18/24 announcements (75%) had some sort of ‘we’ve got some names for you coming up’ style pre-announcement, with the most amount of notice being 2 weeks 3 days, and the least amount of notice being 3 hours. The majority of pre-announcements - 5/18 or 27% come exactly 1 week before announcements.

Pre-announcements by day of the week:

The majority of pre-announcements (38%) came on a Friday, and there were no pre-announcements at all on Tuesdays.

Monday - 3

Tuesday - 0

Wednesday - 2

Thursday - 2

Friday - 7

Saturday - 3

Sunday - 1

Pre-announcements by month:

The majority of pre-announcements (27%) came in February, although 22% came in January. There were no pre-announcements in June, July, September, October, and December.

Announcements (by day of the week):

The majority of announcements (38%) came on a Thursday, and there were no announcements on Saturdays or Sundays.

Monday - 2

Tuesday - 7

Wednesday - 3

Thursday - 7

Friday - 5

Saturday - 0

Sunday - 0

Announcements (by Month):

The majority of announcements (29%) came in February, with no announcements in June, July or October.

This whole thing is obviously heavily inspired by TheGlastoThingy, of which I am a big fan. I’m also a bit of a numbers and stats geek, so loved doing this.

If anyone finds it interesting I’d happily go back to further years (although at a point it gets tricky, as the RandL Twitter account - which is the source I used - only goes back to 2009, and isn’t the easiest to de-code in the first few years of the account going live. Or I could add more minor announcements such as the smaller stages, or single band announcements - of which there’s quite a few.

So, from a purely statistical point of view (which means it’ll almost certainly be wrong, especially considering the fact the last two festivals have played fast and loose with announcement trends) I’m predicting our next announcement to be a full poster with stage splits, and I’m guessing it’ll come Thursday 25th March, with a pre-announcement coming 6 days before on Friday 19th March.

Enjoy!

• Like 8
  • Upvote 18

36 minutes ago, Jack.194 said:

Spent the past half hour or so looking at previous announcements to see what days/months are most common, and just generally what patterns there are. Also looked at ‘pre-announcements’ and saw how common they were, and how long before the actual announcement a pre-announced usually comes.

I only went back to the 2015 festival, as that’s the first one I attended. I’ve also counted big announcements only, so only announcements that contain: headliners; a large number of fairly prominent acts (I haven’t included the BBC Introducing Stage or Alternative Stage announcements); or a change of poster.

Here’s what I found.

Pre-announcements:

Pre-announcements happen for the absolute majority of Reading and Leeds announcements. 18/24 announcements (75%) had some sort of ‘we’ve got some names for you coming up’ style pre-announcement, with the most amount of notice being 2 weeks 3 days, and the least amount of notice being 3 hours. The majority of pre-announcements - 5/18 or 27% come exactly 1 week before announcements.

The majority of pre-announcements (38%) came on a Friday, and there were no pre-announcements at all on Tuesdays.

Monday - 3

Tuesday - 0

Wednesday - 2

Thursday - 2

Friday - 7

Saturday - 3

Sunday - 1

The majority of pre-announcements (27%) came in February, although 22% came in January. There were no pre-announcements in June, July, September, October, and December.

The majority of announcements (38%) came on a Thursday, and there were no announcements on Saturdays or Sundays.

Monday - 2

Tuesday - 7

Wednesday - 3

Thursday - 7

Friday - 5

Saturday - 0

Sunday - 0

The majority of announcements (29%) came in February, with no announcements in June, July or October.

This whole thing is obviously heavily inspired by TheGlastoThingy, of which I am a big fan. I’m also a bit of a numbers and stats geek, so loved doing this.

If anyone finds it interesting I’d happily go back to further years (although at a point it gets tricky, as the RandL Twitter account - which is the source I used - only goes back to 2009, and isn’t the easiest to de-code in the first few years of the account going live. Or I could add more minor announcements such as the smaller stages, or single band announcements - of which there’s quite a few.

So, from a purely statistical point of view (which means it’ll almost certainly be wrong, especially considering the fact the last two festivals have played fast and loose with announcement trends) I’m predicting our next announcement to be a full poster with stage splits, and I’m guessing it’ll come Thursday 25th March, with a pre-announcement coming 6 days before on Friday 19th March.

Enjoy!

This is the kind of post I love to read, great work mate 👍

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jack.194 said:

Here’s what I found.

Pre-announcements:

Monday - 3

Tuesday - 0

Wednesday - 2

Thursday - 2

Friday - 7

Saturday - 3

Sunday - 1

Monday - 2

Tuesday - 7

Wednesday - 3

Thursday - 7

Friday - 5

Saturday - 0

Sunday - 0

Enjoy!

Cheers for putting that together mate - good read 

8 hours ago, Jonathan Jonathan said:

I don’t think the majority of their side projects would but I could see Albert Hammond Jr. He did a few European festivals in 2018 and his last album was comparatively successful and would sit comfortably with the other Reading Wombats-esque indie pop. The main barrier I see is that he’s too far into his career to take a low position. There’s very few artists lower on the R&L bills who have been around 10+ years.

God, imagine The Voidz at Reading. That’d be hilariously odd.

He doesn't have nearly the following though among young people as say an act of a similar size thats indie like Sea Girls a year ago or something -- just would be a really strange choice thats very much a wild card. so many better suited festivals for him

7 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I think he would take the slot but its just such a strange booking, touring or not so many other festivals suit him better than reading. i feel like the crowd would be empty if he was against any other indie band honestly.

--

great post above ^^^^

7 minutes ago, CharlieDaRapper said:

Preach.

What are we hoping to see?

Just in general the acts commonly brought up on here e.g. the slowthais, sam fenders, idles and so on. but more importantly R1 tent. In all honestly they don't need to do alot more as its already a sell out at both Reading and Leeds and with Covid a perfect excuse for less stages & acts it does worry me a bit.

7 minutes ago, Known-Radio said:

Just in general the acts commonly brought up on here e.g. the slowthais, sam fenders, idles and so on. but more importantly R1 tent. In all honestly they don't need to do alot more as its already a sell out at both Reading and Leeds and with Covid a perfect excuse for less stages & acts it does worry me a bit.

honestly sometimes adding names to a poster somehow actually makes it worse.

I agree with y’all, I think it’ll be anytime over the next 2 weeks in reality, but with both shows been a sellout there’s no need to get any big names in still. They’ll just fluke off this year IMO.

I just hope this doesn’t give them ideas for future festival iterations either.

2 hours ago, TownNation said:

I agree with y’all, I think it’ll be anytime over the next 2 weeks in reality, but with both shows been a sellout there’s no need to get any big names in still. They’ll just fluke off this year IMO.

I just hope this doesn’t give them ideas for future festival iterations either.

Like you say. They've not paid anyone bigger that may be booked yet and with it sold out they'll save the money and wait until they need them to sell out.

9 minutes ago, jumperofftheshelf said:

Will the acts not already have been booked long before now? Or are we saying this on the assumption that they always knew it would sell out so booked a poor lineup

I'm sure I read somewhere that the headliners are usually in place before the previous year's festival has even taken place. Surely at least 90% of the lineup has been booked by now, I can't see festivals like this leaving it this late. Melvin always said the appetite for 2021 would be there but it would've been a gamble to bank on it selling out this early