2021 Lineup

41 minutes ago, foolee said:

Nah I reckon the bigger acts will close the night at both. Stormzy, Post Malone and Liam. I think the other 3 are gloried sub headliners/co-headliners at best. The only one that would make sense to go on after the headliners would be Disclosure because they're a dance act and might want to play in the dark but I think that'll only happen if Post Malone is okay with it.

I think R&L have probably done the 6 headliner thing to get acts like Catfish and Queens, who see themselves as bigger than subs so possibly wouldn't accept a sub slot, to play the festival as acts like those should be a sub in the mind of R&L organisers but the bands are not accepting a sub slot when it's being offered so it's giving the festival more scope for acts. 

Catfish and Disclosure certainly can't see themselves bigger than subs. Catfish have more scope to it mind.

I think they've plainly tried to make it look bigger in a time when less stages were needed to progress. Qotsa is the only one who could argue they should be co-headlining but at Reading in this day is unlikely. Download also won't better it.

35 minutes ago, Jonathan Jonathan said:

One of my thoughts on the whole two main stages versus radio one tent is whether Radio One would take issue with it? Wonder if we might still have a tent named the Radio One tent but it might be something that’s half way between Festival Republic and the old R1 stage.

That's possible. Also possible R1 sponsor one of the main stages? 

I think my problem is why. They’re going from 8/9 artists on the MS and 11/12 on the R1 each day to 5 per main stage. Comes to a loss of potentially 11 acts each day. And it’s not like they can cram the rest elsewhere. Why would they decide to lose that many artists? I understand the 2 main stages is a “unique selling point” but surely having access to 30 + more acts over the weekend increases diversity and pull power

However, it potentially increases crowd size for headliners which maybe a reason idk. I could imagine Sam Fender, if it was him, against Posty would pull a relatively large crowd. I’d imagine without the R1 the choices becomes less well known and more niche as such. Especially as in 2019, post supposedly said he wanted no guitar acts against him

7 minutes ago, Gerard the Fab said:

I think my problem is why. They’re going from 8/9 artists on the MS and 11/12 on the R1 each day to 5 per main stage. Comes to a loss of potentially 11 acts each day. And it’s not like they can cram the rest elsewhere. Why would they decide to lose that many artists? I understand the 2 main stages is a “unique selling point” but surely having access to 30 + more acts over the weekend increases diversity and pull power

Issa business. An extra 3 headliners is more likely to sell tickets than 15+ smaller acts. Also so many people at R&L spend most of the day in the campsite and only venture out for the headliners. I can completely see why they're heading in this direction.

15 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Issa business. An extra 3 headliners is more likely to sell tickets than 15+ smaller acts. Also so many people at R&L spend most of the day in the campsite and only venture out for the headliners. I can completely see why they're heading in this direction.

Hmmm true, that’s a bummer I guess tho, makes it much harder to discover new artists but hey

32 minutes ago, Gerard the Fab said:

I reckon you could probably get 7 acts per main stage they'll be back to more or less with maybe 5 minutes gaps in between especially with the shorter sets at the start of the day. Less clashes also means more likely people will spend more of their day in the arena which can only be a good thing financially for the festival. The Radio 1 stage is the best stage at leeds though so it's a bit gutting if they get rid of it.

10 minutes ago, Gerard the Fab said:

Hmmm true, that’s a bummer I guess tho, makes it much harder to discover new artists but hey

FR are gonna upset people no matter what they do annoyingly. Realistically if they get rid of the R1 stage that's the main headliner opposition gone so they'd lose the variety. None of the FR/1XTRA/Intro stage could go as acts there have shot up the lineups in recent years. Going out on a limb but I reckon it'll all be reyt and all the usual stages will be there plus two mains, just can't see another option (unless capacity has been significantly reduced by like 10,000 due to Covid).

Maybe they’ll slap larger headliners on other stages, I could imagine that a trio of Fatboy Slim, Pendulum and Chase & Status would attract large crowds if headlining the Dance stage

Naturally that’s more hope than anything but oh well

5 minutes ago, Gerard the Fab said:

Maybe they’ll slap larger headliners on other stages, I could imagine that a trio of Fatboy Slim, Pendulum and Chase & Status would attract large crowds if headlining the Dance stage

Naturally that’s more hope than anything but oh well

Nah, Solardo and MK are obviously headlining the dance stage. 

I'm predicting 6 acts on each Main Stage per day. Alternating with no big gaps. Something like this for the Sunday/Friday.

MSE 21:40-23:15 Liam Gallagher
MSW 19:40-21:25 Queens of the Stone Age
MSE 18:40-19:25 Gerry Cinnamon 
MSW 17:50-18:35 Yungblud
MSE 17:00-17:45: Charli XCX
MSW 16:10-16:55: Slowthai
MSE 15:20-16:05: The Hunna
MSW 14:40-15:15: Pale Waves
MSE 13:55-14:35: 100 Gecs
MSW 13:05-13:45: Inhaler
MSE 12:30-13:00: KSI
MSW 12:00-12:25 Bloxx

Just now, Dukey said:

Some dodgy positioning - Idles would be on before one of the headliners surely and Courteeners would defo at least be on before a headliner if not a headliner themselves these days 

Agreed, Idles and Courteeners positions on the posters make me question it but nothing too out there to suggest it's a complete fake either. If it was real I'd expect an announcement soon. 

On another note I wouldn't mind watching Post Malone at Reading so hoping for no clashes with Fever 333 in the pit. If Posty does what he did last time I'd expect none of the small stages to be open when he's on anyway. Definitely down for Fever 333 clashing with Disclosure

Just now, Andre91 said:

If the 1xtra tent was 20 times the size. He’s massive. 

For sure, but if he clashes with Post that's a lot of his audience taken away. Don't forget this is the festival that almost let Billie Eilish play on the radio 1 stage before external pressure got them to move her