2021 Lineup

10 minutes ago, Tom Connolly said:

do we think this means the end of big big big boy headliners aka arctic monkeys, rage against the machine, foo fighters, eminem etc. 

I don’t think two main stages would necessitate a headliner on each though? If one is replacing the R1 tent, couldn’t a standard lineup be rejigged to put the normal main stage sub on the second main stage as a ‘headliner’ without actually billing them as a headliner, then slotting the R1 headliner in under the headliner on the other main stage, etc?

Tom Grennan, Declan McKenna, The Hunna, The Amazons, Pale Waves and Slowthai are all acts that have hinted/self-confirmed/are expected to be on the lineup but they all seem like they would play round about the same slots, no? Is there room for them all? I would assume they would all play the Main Stages and be 4th down on either stage. 

Just now, Andre91 said:

Tom Grennan, Declan McKenna, The Hunna, The Amazons, Pale Waves and Slowthai are all acts that have hinted/self-confirmed/are expected to be on the lineup but they all seem like they would play round about the same slots, no? Is there room for them all? I would assume they would all play the Main Stages and be 4th down on either stage. 

Could that mean we won't be losing the R1 then? There can't be enough space for all of them on the main stages alongside those already announced, surely?

2 minutes ago, Quorn said:

Could that mean we won't be losing the R1 then? There can't be enough space for all of them on the main stages alongside those already announced, surely?

Who knows. There are other acts already announced who would play similar slots too if they were on the Main Stages, like Sigrid and Neck Deep. I’m expecting Sigrid to play Main(s) but Neck Deep to headline the Pit/Lock Up, however. 

20 minutes ago, Tom Connolly said:

do we think this means the end of big big big boy headliners aka arctic monkeys, rage against the machine, foo fighters, eminem etc. 

Festival Republic surely have more money than they know what to do with, it just depends on how they want to spend it.. they could easily book acts of that stature, i would argue that Post Malone currently could probably be around a similar price, he's currently one of the biggest draws of pulling in attendees

2 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Who knows. There are other acts already announced who would play similar slots too if they were on the Main Stages, like Sigrid and Neck Deep. I’m expecting Sigrid to play Main(s) but Neck Deep to headline the Pit/Lock Up, however. 

This is one of the things inclining me to believe we'll still have the R1. Surely we won't have double the acts on the main stages to make up for the slots lost from the R1, so either there'll be fewer acts (which doesn't seem to be the case from all the names mentioned for the same kind of slot) or they'll be spread across the main and R1

5 minutes ago, Quorn said:

This is one of the things inclining me to believe we'll still have the R1. Surely we won't have double the acts on the main stages to make up for the slots lost from the R1, so either there'll be fewer acts (which doesn't seem to be the case from all the names mentioned for the same kind of slot) or they'll be spread across the main and R1

If the R1 is still a thing, going off of what has been announced already, I’d be backing AJ Tracey and Charli XCX to be two of the headliners as they both played Main last time they played in 2019. Equally, I think YUNGBLUD could do it (instead of Charli) for the same reason, or even Mabel (but she was down to play Main in 2020 so that’s where I think she’ll stay). 

6 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

If the R1 is still a thing, going off of what has been announced already, I’d be backing AJ Tracey and Charli XCX to be two of the headliners as they both played Main last time they played in 2019. Equally, I think YUNGBLUD could do it (instead of Charli) for the same reason, or even Mabel (but she was down to play Main in 2020 so that’s where I think she’ll stay). 

I'm keeping my fingers crossed as that then adds another 3 big slots. My only hope of getting Glass Animals and NBT somewhere is the R1 surviving, so it would be nice. I feel like Yungblud is a main stage act though. I'm not sure if acts are actually looked at in this kind of way, but I feel like he's perfect for getting the crowd's energy up leading into the final act/acts of the day. Definitely enough of a prescence to work the main stage well, no need for a tent

With the YMA6 rumours seeming strong, I could back them to be put in the other R1 headline slot, leaving Yungblud on main stage and freeing up a good few sub/3rd down main stage slots

1 hour ago, OnlyRevolutions said:

Logistically, purchasing, manufacturing and storing two identical stages just to use them for one year wouldn't be the smartest idea FR have ever made.

Not sure on this but could they already have the extra stage from a weekend where theres a lot of festivals at a different time of the year maybe? Glastonbury/Finsbury/BST are all around the same time of the year so maybe its a stage repurposed from one of them - might be a completely stupid idea

I think I've discovered something lads, R1 isn't going anywhere here me out. On the poster I think the acts that are going to be on the main stage's are the ones with there own logos aka Yungblud, Post Malone and Charli XCX etc. But if you look closely AJ Tracey and Doja Cat aren't on the lineup in their official logos but in the same font as everyone else just bigger. This makes me believe that they are R1 headlines which to me makes perfect sense as AJ was supposed to headline R1 last year. Also leaves one R1 headliner TBC which RandL have been known to do in the past. I think slowthai is a perfect act for the free R1 headline slot as his audience might not be too eager on LG and QOTSA.

Screenshot 2021-02-28 at 18.47.42.png

Edited by Creasin

1 hour ago, Creasin said:

I think I've discovered something lads, R1 isn't going anywhere here me out. On the poster I think the acts that are going to be on the main stage's are the ones with there own logos aka Yungblud, Post Malone and Charli XCX etc. But if you look closely AJ Tracey and Doja Cat aren't on the lineup in their official logos but in the same font as everyone else just bigger. This makes me believe that they are R1 headlines which to me makes perfect sense as AJ was supposed to headline R1 last year. Also leaves one R1 headliner TBC which RandL have been known to do in the past. I think slowthai is a perfect act for the free R1 headline slot as his audience might not be too eager on LG and QOTSA.

i don’t necessarily think you’re wrong but i don’t think fonts prove anything. i hope you’re right mate but also can’t see them putting Doja against Post

would also say everyone who’s under Main Stage East but above Main Stage West will 10000% be main stage, would make no sense for them to split it that way if they werent

Edited by Tom Connolly

4 hours ago, Tom Connolly said:

i don’t necessarily think you’re wrong but i don’t think fonts prove anything. i hope you’re right mate but also can’t see them putting Doja against Post

would also say everyone who’s under Main Stage East but above Main Stage West will 10000% be main stage, would make no sense for them to split it that way if they werent

I know what you're saying but it also doesn't make sense to have MK, Gallows and Sports Team on the main stages. I think MK is dance headliners, Gallows are the pit headliners and Sports Team are FR headliners. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, foolee said:

I know what you're saying but it also doesn't make sense to have MK, Gallows and Sports Team on the main stages. I think MK is dance headliners, Gallows are the pit headliners and Sports Team are FR headliners. 

Well considering all of the names are under main stage headers on the poster, I reckon we can discount the whole thing as simply a stylistic choice and that the main stages only properly apply to the headliners, with the rest of the acts still to be distributed across stages. I don’t think I’ve seen any announcements before where every act for main stage was announced before any other stages were filled up

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Quorn said:

Well considering all of the names are under main stage headers on the poster, I reckon we can discount the whole thing as simply a stylistic choice and that the main stages only properly apply to the headliners, with the rest of the acts still to be distributed across stages. I don’t think I’ve seen any announcements before where every act for main stage was announced before any other stages were filled up

Yea I completely agree with this, there’s no way that the acts on the posters are just all main stage acts

10 hours ago, Andre91 said:

10 hours ago, Quorn said:

Fair point there, could the latitude and download stages work as second main stages?

I’ve managed to bollock the quote up but for the first one, I could imagine Slowthai potentially playing 3rd down instead and the rest 4th but I agree there’s a large amount of similarly sized middle of the day acts that don’t fit anywhere else other than the R1

for number 2, that was my thought, with Download and Latitude etc earlier in the Summer. I haven’t seen their stages but I’m assuming they’re similar size and it will just be a case of a quick rebranding. I’m not sure tho.

10 hours ago, Tom Connolly said:

No. I think it’s quite easy (if there’s no R1) to spread the cost amongst 6 while still bagging a decent set 

I would think that this year in terms of headliners was slightly more expensive (Post, Disclosure, CATB and Queens instead of Rex, Fender, AJ Tracey and Rage) but all in all I think we’ll still be fine and in fact I’d rather worry about whether newer acts will actually get a chance or they’ll stick to mediocre acts that have subbed or co headlined in the past

6 hours ago, Creasin said:

Has anyone else just noticed the vast chasm between Disclosure and the side of the poster? And if so is it pissing them off?

but in all seriousness that is a fair point, but like was mentioned Doja Cat vs Posty makes little sense, as does AJ Tracey vs Stormzy. Unless it’s jigged around I dont think both are R1 headliners. 
what strikes me as a odd is the fact that KSI has his own line, when it’s clearly possible to Chuck him in the line underneath. So I think that he’ll be main stage but the line underneath him will be dotted around elsewhere. I’m not sure it’s all speculation, it’s an odd poster to say the least, and the next announcement should reveal all

5 minutes ago, Gerard the Fab said:

Has anyone else just noticed the vast chasm between Disclosure and the side of the poster? And if so is it pissing them off?

I cannot begin to tell you how much this has annoyed me for the past few weeks

10 minutes ago, Jack.194 said:

I cannot begin to tell you how much this has annoyed me for the past few weeks

I’ve only just noticed, probably remember for the rest of my life now

9 minutes ago, Jonathan Jonathan said:

If Doha Cat and AJ are R1 headliners then presumably the third R1 headliners should be rock/indie? Maybe Sam Fender

i don’t think it is them tho, unless they change days, especially as that would mean Indie vs LG. I’m not sure they’d rejig either

42 minutes ago, Buko said:

MK & Solardo were headlining the dance stage in 2020. Gallows & Fever 333 were headlining the lock up. I'd put money on them been put back in those exact spots. 

You'd think so, not many bands anywhere will have done anything in the past 12 months to warrant being bumped up that far

12 minutes ago, Gerard the Fab said:

I don’t think it is them tho, unless they change days, especially as that would mean Indie vs LG. I’m not sure they’d rejig either

True. I still reckon if there is an R1 stage then there’s not an obvious indie headliner. Perhaps Wombats or Two Door would do it, but would headlining that be considered a demotion?