2021 Lineup

19 minutes ago, thatTFBguy said:

1) Dr. Fauci has literally no bearing or gov insight into the UK situation, so bit weird to be using his advice in relation to the UK. 

2) Even if we accept that mass gatherings will be allowed to happen at around 70% of the population being vaccinated we are unlikely to have hit that by August, so whether it’ll require full vaccination of the population or 70%, it’s moot in relation to festive season 2021, we won’t have hit either. 

3) You’ve got to look at the situation logically, as I said above, think how many transmissions an event like R+L would lead to even if 70% of the attendees are vaccinated (which as the demo skews young the percentage would almost certainly be less). That would still be thousands of people catching the virus and then taking it home to all four corners of the country for it to spread to the unvaccinated population. There is no way the government would allow that. 

4) You’re forgetting that the vaccines require 2 shots to be completely effective, we don’t even plan on having all the most vulnerable fully vaccinated with both shots by Spring! But you think 70% of the population will have been fully vaccinated by August? 

I get that you don’t like what I’m saying, trust me neither do I, thinking about gigs in 2021 literally was one of the only things that got me through 2020, but how anyone thinks we’ll do from full national lockdown in March (potentially even into April) to complete normality by August is madness. 

Again gigs and festivals are literally the LAST thing that’ll be able to come back, the organisers of the 1975 show didn’t cancel that summer Finsbury Park gig today for fun they did so because obviously the writing is on the wall and they didn’t see the point in dragging out the decision until nearly the date - they wanted to rip the plaster off now. 

You make mocking comments about wannabe experts on this site, but there’s literally people in the industry throwing a huge warning sign of what’s to come in your face and you’ll going ‘nah Dr Fauci said once we hit 70% we’re golden’ (which we won’t have even done by the summer). 

I mock these type of comments because you know fuck all more than anyone else, so coming in and saying ‘you’re kidding yourselves’ and ‘it’s madness’ is weak. We get that there’s a knife-edge, we’re waiting to see how the situation develops. You don’t win owt for predicting how things will go.

And before you say again “look I know you don’t like to hear the truth about your festival” or some w*nk like that, I’ve given up hope on the festival I’m actually going to in summer happening. I just think there is reason to be optimistic about a flagship event of a multi-billion dollar corporation happening at the end of August running as scheduled.

I referenced Fauci because him saying 70% vaccination needed could quite easily, and most likely will be transposed to the UK’s approach. It’s just whether it’s the same for outdoor gatherings, and at what point that threshold can be reached.

8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I mock these type of comments because you know fuck all more than anyone else, so coming in and saying ‘you’re kidding yourselves’ and ‘it’s madness’ is weak. We get that there’s a knife-edge, we’re waiting to see how the situation develops. You don’t win owt for predicting how things will go.

And before you say again “look I know you don’t like to hear the truth about your festival” or some w*nk like that, I’ve given up hope on the festival I’m actually going to in summer happening. I just think there is reason to be optimistic about a flagship event of a multi-billion dollar corporation happening at the end of August running as scheduled.

I referenced Fauci because him saying 70% vaccination needed could quite easily, and most likely will be transposed to the UK’s approach. It’s just whether it’s the same for outdoor gatherings, and at what point that threshold can be reached.

I mean you can make as many mocking sarcastic comments as you like (whatever helps you through the day) but ultimately you’re not actually saying anything to counter what I’ve said. 

You claim there’s reasons to optimistic but have provided basically none. 

An American doctor saying gigs can happen at 70% vaccination (which we won’t have hit by August, remember 2 shots is required, so far about 400k of the 2.6m vaccinated have had both shots) is hardly some great counter point. 

Plus R+L being a flagship event and run by a multi-billion company again means nothing, it was all those things last year and it was forced into cancellation. Glastonbury was having it landmark 50th birthday last year, was still cancelled! COVID doesn’t care about the money, size and scope of an event. 

Are you saying that The 1975 show on July 10th was too small fry to go ahead, but cause R+L is bigger it’ll be allowed to happen? 

Even if your argument is that FR are big enough to absorb the cost of extra safety measures like rapid COVID testing at the gates etc. That’s still not a strong argument as festival organisers met with a gov select committee last week to discuss mass gatherings in the wake of COVID and they all said ‘festivals cannot come back under COVID restrictions’, there just isn’t a way to do an event the scale of R+L and have it be deemed ‘COVID safe’. 

You think a mass gathering of maybe 30k people in July has been forced into cancellation but a multi site festival in August (with camping) and ten times the attendance will go ahead just cause they could in theory throw more money at the problem. You don’t need to be an expert to see the flaws in that line of thinking. 

I’ll bring you back to my point about pubs as well - if pubs can’t reopen till potentially May (and that’s being talked about as a best case scenario) and that’s reopening with all the previous COVID measures, what hope is there for 80k people moshing to Post Malone in a field just 3 months later?

I don’t think you need to be an expert to make the arguments I’m making, but hey fingers crossed in 7 months time you’re dragging this comment up to laugh at how spectacularly wrong I was.

Trust me nothing would make me happier than in a few months time all the comments I’ve made today to be 100% wrong, we can all have a good laugh at them while enjoying life again.

Here’s hoping your optimism is proved to be wise shortly! 

Suppose we’ll just have to agree to disagree on this one. 

• Like 1

It won’t come down to vaccinations, it will be cases, hospital beds occupied and deaths, along with of course, with the U.K. government, the economic toss up against those numbers. 

Its still very much the elderly and at risk dying, if deaths are curbed significantly by early summer and transmission is no longer deemed the risk it is now, there will be immense pressure to allow events to go forward. 

re the 1975, I’m not sure of their four plans and dates but assume they stretched beyond a single show and country in early summer. Cancelling a tour that I assume has large production implications is a different story to a one off event at the end of summer. 

If, and it’s a big if (personal I feel like it’s 30-70 against at the mo) the festival goes ahead, I think the lineup may well be very different to expected due to bands cancelling plans and likely smaller productions to what’s become the norm. 

It would be a massive boost to all of a large mass event can go forward and I think they’ll wait a while to make any decisions. 

As for lineup delays, I suspect the lineup is as up in the air as the event itself, it’s only when the picture becomes clearer will bands and festivals be able to make proper plans

27 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

‘Needs more battles.’ Wrong type of battles, lads. 

In other news, there was a Kings of Leon release on Friday, can’t wait for them to save 2021 with a new album

Edited by Gerard the Fab

18 hours ago, Gerard the Fab said:

Get everyone who wants to attend a festival to self isolate for 14 day beforehand, then get them all down to the site on a giant minibus

THINK BIG, WORK SMART

13 hours ago, Jericode said:

So a bus?

🤣 That's brilliant, totally missed that gaffe.

I'm no expert but if all the vulnerable categories are vaccinated by the expected dates there's nothing to say that the government won't allow mass gatherings again and therefore festivals as the people most likely to die and cause the NHS to be overwhelmed will be vaccinated. Then it will not matter if the virus is being spread as people are protected by it. Covid will get to the stage where is it circulating in our communities, we accept that it is doing so and it will cause people to die but just not on the level people are now. It just needs to be manageable like the Flu is. 

• Upvote 1

I don’t think the idea of Reading going ahead is insane. If we have the most vulnerable groups by mid Feb as planned, over 50s by Easter and allegedly it being offered to everyone by September I think opening up before that isn’t absurd.

Honestly I think the bigger issues will artists covering costs for what would likely be one of the only festivals, as artists normally do Summer festival circuits. Plus foreign artists would be in a different position to the UK. I also think even if things are open in August, the fact a cancellation would have to come months in advance means festival republic may not be confident betting on it going forward with such uncertainty(especially given government precedent for following through on their promises.)

In the end of the day it probably boils down to insurance and what the ministers define as safe, which no one can guess for sure.

Edited by Jonathan Jonathan
  • Upvote 1

Right, it’s all a bit doom and gloom on here (rightly so but still), so if, in a hypothetical world Reading and Leeds can go ahead, but without bands from other countries:

a) who would you like to see replace Post Malone and QOTSA

b) who dyou think would be bought in to replace them (if anyone)

if I said got to choose I’d love to see Dave or Dua Lipa, and AM come in

Realistically I can see them added no one or bumping Capaldi up and Biffy for Queens

just a bit of fun

On 1/13/2021 at 9:09 AM, foolee said:

I'm no expert but if all the vulnerable categories are vaccinated by the expected dates there's nothing to say that the government won't allow mass gatherings again and therefore festivals as the people most likely to die and cause the NHS to be overwhelmed will be vaccinated. Then it will not matter if the virus is being spread as people are protected by it. Covid will get to the stage where is it circulating in our communities, we accept that it is doing so and it will cause people to die but just not on the level people are now. It just needs to be manageable like the Flu is. 

21 hours ago, Jonathan Jonathan said:

I don’t think the idea of Reading going ahead is insane. If we have the most vulnerable groups by mid Feb as planned, over 50s by Easter and allegedly it being offered to everyone by September I think opening up before that isn’t absurd.

Honestly I think the bigger issues will artists covering costs for what would likely be one of the only festivals, as artists normally do Summer festival circuits. Plus foreign artists would be in a different position to the UK. I also think even if things are open in August, the fact a cancellation would have to come months in advance means festival republic may not be confident betting on it going forward with such uncertainty(especially given government precedent for following through on their promises.)

In the end of the day it probably boils down to insurance and what the ministers define as safe, which no one can guess for sure.

The majority age range and circumstance surrounding not all but in general I guess are the less vulnerable being the 16-19/20 category. For mass gatherings to go ahead these people will need the second vaccine clearance and 3 weeks to let it settle. At my age even it's the same time frame and expected by end of December. 

13 hours ago, thewayiam said:

The majority age range and circumstance surrounding not all but in general I guess are the less vulnerable being the 16-19/20 category. For mass gatherings to go ahead these people will need the second vaccine clearance and 3 weeks to let it settle. At my age even it's the same time frame and expected by end of December. 

I’m pretty sure the less vulnerable are under 50/60s unless you have serious heath condition issues and if you did you’d be next in line. I think if you looked at the death rates or seriously ill covid rates between age 0 - age 49 I think they’d be fairly low. 

22 hours ago, Gerard the Fab said:

Right, it’s all a bit doom and gloom on here (rightly so but still), so if, in a hypothetical world Reading and Leeds can go ahead, but without bands from other countries:

a) who would you like to see replace Post Malone and QOTSA

b) who dyou think would be bought in to replace them (if anyone)

if I said got to choose I’d love to see Dave or Dua Lipa, and AM come in

Realistically I can see them added no one or bumping Capaldi up and Biffy for Queens

just a bit of fun

Good question as potentially something that might end up happening depending on circumstances. 

Not that it would happen but I'd have Foals and Bring Me The Horizon. 

1 hour ago, foolee said:

Good question as potentially something that might end up happening depending on circumstances. 

Not that it would happen but I'd have Foals and Bring Me The Horizon. 

I can see one of them, my thinking is they’ll replace Posty with someone of a similar size, very mainstream 

and then QOTSA with a heavier band or maybe even an Indie band, dare I say them could put Courteeners in there