2021 Lineup

3 minutes ago, Tom Connolly said:

I highly doubt that Glasto will happen but as others have said, with the time of year Reading and Leeds is I still think they may happen.

The article also does state that it’s smaller scale festivals that will struggle. A big behemoth like the Reading and Leeds Festivals probably has the strongest chance of all the festivals to go ahead I would suspect.

2 hours ago, metallimuse said:

I highly doubt that Glasto will happen but as others have said, with the time of year Reading and Leeds is I still think they may happen.

This is what everyone was saying last year around March/April. I can't see it going ahead with the amount of daily cases. 

25 minutes ago, Sam Y said:

This is what everyone was saying last year around March/April. I can't see it going ahead with the amount of daily cases. 

But the difference this time is that we have various vaccines that are being rolled out now.

25% of the top 4 vulnerable tiers have now been vaccinated and Boris has said the target is that will be complete by mid Feb and we can begin to start coming out of lockdown in March.

I’d imagine that general public will start being vaccinated by May. Couple that with rapid testing onsite which Reading and Leeds can afford then I think they’ve got a good chance of going ahead.

I don’t think I’ll go myself mind, not until I’m vaccinated and I don’t know if that will have happened by then but I’m sure you young team won’t care as much.

2 hours ago, Tom Connolly said:

when do we think next lineup post will be? this month? or do we think they’re gonna focus on making sure it’s going ahead before they post more acts like they did in 2020

Sadly, I think the next announcement will be about cancellation rather than lineup update.

Having thought about it, surely somewhere  like R&L is more likely to cancel, because they have the financial capability to survive another missed year, where a smaller festival will need the income to stand any chance

4 hours ago, Gerard the Fab said:

Having thought about it, surely somewhere  like R&L is more likely to cancel, because they have the financial capability to survive another missed year, where a smaller festival will need the income to stand any chance

While the smaller festivals will miss the income the risk for them, I would guess, is that they will have to invest money in the short term to put things in place to stage the festival which if it’s forced to cancel they won’t be able to recoup and could place the company behind it in financial difficulty.

A big festival like Reading and Leeds will have more cash behind it and therefore in a better position to swallow any loss they may incur due to cancellation.

That’s my take on it.

3 hours ago, metallimuse said:

While the smaller festivals will miss the income the risk for them, I would guess, is that they will have to invest money in the short term to put things in place to stage the festival which if it’s forced to cancel they won’t be able to recoup and could place the company behind it in financial difficulty.

A big festival like Reading and Leeds will have more cash behind it and therefore in a better position to swallow any loss they may incur due to cancellation.

That’s my take on it.

Yh, I honestly think it’s a no go again this year unless all of a sudden we get a huge influx of vaccines

13 hours ago, Tom Connolly said:

i’ve told myself, unless we get a lineup announcement this month, it’ll be called off and to stop getting my hopes up. for now i’m positive but if we’ve not heard anything by february then the dream is dead. there’s no logic or knowledge behind that theory btw

I'm not expecting a line-up announcement until things look clearer about festivals, because they'll want to push ticket sales when people start to think it's actually worth buying a ticket, and line-up announcements are the best way to push ticket sales.

I think and really really hope that we will just scrape it and make it. I think every other festival that are on before August are doomed sadly but the timing of reading and Leeds should give us a lot of hope. It's basically September and literally everyone in the world not just the UK should be vaccinated realistically by then. This is 7 months away we are talking about. I know a massive amount of planning needs to be done between now and then but I think we will just make it 🤞🤞

16 hours ago, Rhcp1 said:

I think and really really hope that we will just scrape it and make it. I think every other festival that are on before August are doomed sadly but the timing of reading and Leeds should give us a lot of hope. It's basically September and literally everyone in the world not just the UK should be vaccinated realistically by then. This is 7 months away we are talking about. I know a massive amount of planning needs to be done between now and then but I think we will just make it 🤞🤞

We won't all be vaccinated by then. My age range has a estimated end September to end October. People younger than me by enough years have been estimate January 2022 to March 2022 I believe. 

The 1975 have just cancelled their Finsbury Park show on July 10th (and all touring in 2021), cancellation season starting early this year 😞 

Think anyone believing that R+L (or any festival) will happen this year is kidding themselves, we’ll be lucky if we get small gigs with a few 100s people by winter. 

You’ve got to remember that mass gatherings are literally the very last thing that will allowed back, and will likely only happen once the entire population is vaccinated. 

Even if the gov hits it’s very ambitious Spring targets for vaccinating the 4 most vulnerable groups, an event like R+L wouldn’t be allowed over the summer as it would lead to literally 1000s of cases among the non vaccinated groups. 

Yes most of them would be cases in non vulnerable people, but the government isn’t going to allow an event that is guaranteed to lead to huge spread across the country (as people travel to and from the festival site) and would 100% increase hospitalisations/deaths. 

The current talk is that re opening pubs won’t be even considered until May, and they’d return with all the COVID restrictions from the summer still in place (only drink with a meal, masks to be worn when not sat at table, no bar service etc). If you think we’re going to from restricted pub access in May/June, to 80K people allowed to mix freely in a field by August, sorry but you’re just not living in reality. I’ll be shocked if we even have nightclub dance floors opened by August, and that’s what 50-100 in a cramped space? 

Furthermore, FR and other organisers will need confirmation they can run their events by like March at the latest as well, to start prepping and there’s no way they’ll get the green light then. So I reckon even if by some miracle thinks are rosey enough by August that R+L could happen (which has like 0.1% chance of happening) it’ll be too late anyway as FR will have had to call it months prior. 

So gutting you think about but start preparing yourself now gang, 2021 festival season isn’t happening either. 

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Imagine thinking they won't have mass gatherings again until the whole population is vaccinated. Even Dr. Fauci quoted 70% yesterday but I guess he didn't realise that the real experts were hanging out on E Festivals dot Com

1) Dr. Fauci has literally no bearing or gov insight into the UK situation, so bit weird to be using his advice in relation to the UK. 

2) Even if we accept that mass gatherings will be allowed to happen at around 70% of the population being vaccinated we are unlikely to have hit that by August, so whether it’ll require full vaccination of the population or 70%, it’s moot in relation to festive season 2021, we won’t have hit either. 

3) You’ve got to look at the situation logically, as I said above, think how many transmissions an event like R+L would lead to even if 70% of the attendees are vaccinated (which as the demo skews young the percentage would almost certainly be less). That would still be thousands of people catching the virus and then taking it home to all four corners of the country for it to spread to the unvaccinated population. There is no way the government would allow that. 

4) You’re forgetting that the vaccines require 2 shots to be completely effective, we don’t even plan on having all the most vulnerable fully vaccinated with both shots by Spring! But you think 70% of the population will have been fully vaccinated by August? 

I get that you don’t like what I’m saying, trust me neither do I, thinking about gigs in 2021 literally was one of the only things that got me through 2020, but how anyone thinks we’ll do from full national lockdown in March (potentially even into April) to complete normality by August is madness. 

Again gigs and festivals are literally the LAST thing that’ll be able to come back, the organisers of the 1975 show didn’t cancel that summer Finsbury Park gig today for fun they did so because obviously the writing is on the wall and they didn’t see the point in dragging out the decision until nearly the date - they wanted to rip the plaster off now. 

You make mocking comments about wannabe experts on this site, but there’s literally people in the industry throwing a huge warning sign of what’s to come in your face and you’ll going ‘nah Dr Fauci said once we hit 70% we’re golden’ (which we won’t have even done by the summer).