2021 Lineup

On 11/17/2020 at 8:13 AM, foolee said:

I'm not sure they ever really deserved the headline spot tbh as the reunion hype was gone. One of the smallest headliner crowds I've ever seen at R&L. Also, when they reunited they subbed Arcade Fire.   

It was a second reunion though. They went away for another four years though after 2010 and came back to nearly sell out Hyde Park. Maybe spreading themselves across BST, TITP and a Glasto guest slot was a bit much but at the time it seemed justified.

6 hours ago, Benj said:

Cool cats were at Frank Turner

I can’t believe that I stood and watched The Libs when I could have been in the tent watching Refused. I walked past it just before The Libs set finished and New Noise looked and sounded like the most fun ever. Stupid 22 year old me. 

19 hours ago, Andre91 said:

I can’t believe that I stood and watched The Libs when I could have been in the tent watching Refused. I walked past it just before The Libs set finished and New Noise looked and sounded like the most fun ever. Stupid 22 year old me. 

I was not so stupid and yes, it was the most fun ever.

• Upvote 1

On 11/20/2020 at 6:03 PM, VCK said:

They played academies on their last tour and I don't think all of the shows sold out. They were never that big when they were at their peak with Up The Bracket anyway, just the media circus surrounding their breakup and then Pete Doherty's antics piqued a lot of people's interest in them.

Not trying to make them sound bigger than they are although I think the lack of sell outs wasn't helped by the pricing. Always been a fairly big fan and wanted to see them but standing was around £70 each if I can remember. That was an instant nope for me. Definitely a band far past their peak popularity regardless.

15 hours ago, Benj said:

Who’s confident the festival will be going ahead as pretty much normal now it looks like we’ll all be able to be vaccinated by the summer  

I very much hope you're right, but the logistics of vaccinating an entire country cannot be underestimated, and the whole world wants these vaccinations so stocks will harder to get hold of than the PS5. 

Some businesses were reportedly being briefed that a return to normalcy could be 2-3 years away (granted that was prior to the latest vaccine news, so fingers crossed that was a worst-case scenario that is no longer applicable).

To go from not being allowed to mix with anyone outside your household in November 2020, to 100K people in a field together at a music festival in August 2021 without restrictions would take a borderline miracle turnaround.

I'm very much hoping that by next summer the misery of this year is becoming a distant memory, but I'm definitely not getting my hopes up yet - we're still a long way from being out of the woods of this pandemic.

Having been chucked into self isolation, I have decided to compile my AOTY list, either top 42 albums (specific I know) or 100, undecided as of yet. I am however branching out massively. I went back a few pages to the latest round of lists and Ive taken down all the names people have said as well as using a website which has ranked all of this years releases. I will most definitely be here for some time, but a couple of questions.

Is there any exceptional albums that people don't think have been mentioned?

and

KIWANUKA was released this time last year, is it cheeky to give it the number 1 spot? (because it is fucking epic)

52 minutes ago, Gerard the Fab said:

Having been chucked into self isolation, I have decided to compile my AOTY list, either top 42 albums (specific I know) or 100, undecided as of yet. I am however branching out massively. I went back a few pages to the latest round of lists and Ive taken down all the names people have said as well as using a website which has ranked all of this years releases. I will most definitely be here for some time, but a couple of questions.

and

KIWANUKA was released this time last year, is it cheeky to give it the number 1 spot? (because it is fucking epic)

Stay Voicless- Lies To Tell Your Children FFO: Nirvana, Slaves, Manic Street Preachers 

1 hour ago, Gerard the Fab said:

and

Brain Candy - Hockey Dad

Limbo - Amine

Sideways to New Italy - Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever

It Is What It Is - Thundercat

Suddenly - Caribou

Modus Vivendi - 070 Shake

14 Steps To A Better You - Lime Cordiale

those are a few off the top of my head that either just missed out on my top ten or i completely forgot to include them because i rushed it (brain candy would of been in my top five if i didn't forget that it came out this year)

Edited by OnlyRevolutions

1 hour ago, Gerard the Fab said:

You say insane, I say incredibly fucking bored. I think there is enough though because I'd like to think I have quite eclectic taste

I’ll stick with insane :P Have you really listened to 100 albums enough to rank them though? That’s a hell of a lot of albums and placing an album after 1,2,3,4 listens, isn’t enough to place it, in my experience. 

9 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I’ll stick with insane :P Have you really listened to 100 albums enough to rank them though? That’s a hell of a lot of albums and placing an album after 1,2,3,4 listens, isn’t enough to place it, in my experience. 

I mean at this point I'm tempted to do 42 properly, because I'm pretty sure ive listened to enough to do that, and slowly work my way through a few more. I think I'll get a rough guess of my feelings on an album at the start, but i think anything i havent listened to before would go below the ones i have if that makes sense

Like take RTJ 4 for example, I've listened to all the songs a few times at different points, never in full, that i think is good enough to be able to get an idea on ranking

Edited by Gerard the Fab

16 minutes ago, Gerard the Fab said:

Like take RTJ 4 for example, I've listened to all the songs a few times at different points, never in full, that i think is good enough to be able to get an idea on ranking

Have you done the same for lots of records? Do you not listen to albums in full 😧

Edited by Andre91

50 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Have you done the same for lots of records? Do you not listen to albums in full 😧

I do yeah ofc, I have a rather large CD collection and I listen to those in full. But like if there’s a playlist on Spotify it doesn’t have full albums. I do try but sometimes I get slightly bored and just listen to the most listened song, very poor I know

5 minutes ago, Gerard the Fab said:

I do yeah ofc, I have a rather large CD collection and I listen to those in full. But like if there’s a playlist on Spotify it doesn’t have full albums. I do try but sometimes I get slightly bored and just listen to the most listened song, very poor I know

Maybe focus on producing a top 20 AOTY list in that case? Might be a better indication of the albums you actually know and love inside out this year :) I do a top 20 each year and struggle whittling that down. I can’t even imagine attempting doing 100 albums :lol: I keep notes throughout the year and usually start thoughtfully putting my 20 together at the end of October and settle on it early December. 

32 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Maybe focus on producing a top 20 AOTY list in that case? Might be a better indication of the albums you actually know and love inside out this year :) I do a top 20 each year and struggle whittling that down. I can’t even imagine attempting doing 100 albums :lol: I keep notes throughout the year and usually start thoughtfully putting my 20 together at the end of October and settle on it early December. 

Yh already found that 100 is a huge workload, sounds like a decent plan for next year tho cheers

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, foolee said:

I always try and do a top 10-20 and always find narrowing it down almost impossible. I'll look back at my list after 6-12 months and be like why is that in the top 10 😂

It’s bloody hard, usually I haven’t done them in the past, purely because I never listened to full albums really, but idk why this year I’ve just listened to full albums so thought I would