2021 Lineup

7 hours ago, Tom Connolly said:

anyone else feeling a bit weird about going to see NBT after the mass of allegations. i don’t know if i can bring myself to go to those shows 😕

Pretty sure that all the allegations were either old, and had been dealt with by the police when they happened, or were manipulated screenshots of legal things. I think usually you would see comments on their tweets or posts talking about it if the Twitter brigade still believed it
  •  

On 9/13/2020 at 8:26 AM, lighthouse said:

Whereas it's the other way round literally everywhere else in the world. I've never, ever heard a Biffy Clyro song on the radio. 

I saw Biffy here in Boston, MA, they played a much smaller venue than 1st Album Catfish

6 hours ago, Benj said:

I saw Biffy here in Boston, MA, they played a much smaller venue than 1st Album Catfish

But they sell out the O2 here. International comparisons are irrelevant. 

This thread on this forum is the only place I see people thinking that Biffy aren’t still massive. They are massive. They aren’t significantly smaller now than they have been at any point in the last decade. They still play the same arenas, they still headline major festivals and they still get #1 albums. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

This thread on this forum is the only place I see people thinking that Biffy aren’t still massive. They are massive. They aren’t significantly smaller now than they have been at any point in the last decade. They still play the same arenas, they still headline major festivals and they still get #1 albums. 

Yh Biffy haven’t got smaller they’re a huge band that should really only be headlining

7 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Yup, I wa a confirming his point not suggesting that Catfish should play above them at Reading!

10 hours ago, Alex Winstone said:

Pendulum? 

Omfg please I swear to god

7 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

Yes please.

Be interesting to hear the new tracks on Thursday 

i didn’t even know there was new tracks I’m so excited now jeez

14 hours ago, Andre91 said:

If you don’t notice any decrease in appeal since that hot period around 2013 you’re in some sort of Biffy echo chamber.

13 hours ago, Gerard the Fab said:

Yh Biffy haven’t got smaller they’re a huge band that should really only be headlining

They took a non-headline slot at Glastonbury. They probably will again pretty soon.

46 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

If you don’t notice any decrease in appeal since that hot period around 2013 you’re in some sort of Biffy echo chamber.

They took a non-headline slot at Glastonbury. They probably will again pretty soon.

That's why I said in my post that they aren't significantly smaller than they have been in the last decade, 2013 included. It isn't like they've had some Bullet For My Valentine-esque fall from grace (a crude example, especially for R&L, but they're the first example that popped into my head). 

The fact that they are headlining Download and would still play and sell out the O2 on a normal sized tour is testament to the above point. A band of that size aren't going to start headlining smaller festivals any time soon (nor ever, imo). You said yourself that they are a safe booking for the major festivals, which is true and is exactly where I think they will stay until they call it a day. They are a safe headliner who are plenty big enough, like many other bands who will always remain in the major festival headliner bracket. 

Edited by Andre91

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

That's why I said in my post that they aren't significantly smaller than they have been in the last decade, 2013 included. It isn't like they've had some Bullet For My Valentine-esque fall from grace (a crude example, especially for R&L, but they're the first example that popped into my head). 

The fact that they are headlining Download and would still play and sell out the O2 on a normal sized tour is testament to the above point. A band of that size aren't going to start headlining smaller festivals any time soon (nor ever, imo). You said yourself that they are a safe booking for the major festivals, which is true and is exactly where I think they will stay until they call it a day. They are a safe headliner who are plenty big enough, like many other bands who will always remain in the major festival headliner bracket. 

To be fair, with the fact that Catfish are headlining RnL whilst also headlining a mid range festival in Warrington, if the current stage format is kept beyond 2021 I expect to see some acts bounce between headlining Kendal Calling, All Points East etc. and then RnL the next

I don't think it's out of the question to see Biffy become one of those acts in the next few years

50 minutes ago, rawaudioinput said:

headlining Kendal Calling

I don't think it's out of the question to see Biffy become one of those acts in the next few years

Look at the headliners Kendall usually has. None of them are in Biffy's ballpark in terms of size. 

Again, this thread on this forum is the only place where people think that Biffy Clyro are about to drop down to playing 25,000 capacity festivals. Whilst they are still headlining arenas like the O2 and Manchester Arena, that just isn't going to happen. 

1 hour ago, rawaudioinput said:

To be fair, with the fact that Catfish are headlining RnL whilst also headlining a mid range festival in Warrington, if the current stage format is kept beyond 2021 I expect to see some acts bounce between headlining Kendal Calling, All Points East etc. and then RnL the next

Catfish are not really headlining Reading. Even in the world of co-headliners, playing second in the Bill means you’re second on the bill. 

1 hour ago, Benj said:

Catfish are not really headlining Reading. Even in the world of co-headliners, playing second in the Bill means you’re second on the bill. 

You can dress it up how you want but there is two main stages with 6 headliners. This is just like saying that the first co-headliner isn't a headliner because they are second and that every festival with two main stages and two or more headliners are lying. I was unsure on Catfish and although they are at Neighbourhood, playing 10 arenas over the period of March and November last year says they probably are. Disclosure are by far the odd one but they have a light show that any earlier on an outside stage is pointless.

2 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Whilst they are still headlining arenas like the O2 and Manchester Arena, that just isn't going to happen. 

Stereophonics played both those venues on their last tour and headlined Kendal Calling in 2017

Biffy are of course a bit different in that they are established major festival headliners, but it does feel like they're running out of options to maintain that status

The last time they headlined Download they reportedly played to a smaller crowd than Rob Zombie on the 2nd stage and their booking for 2021 has been met with universal indifference

Of course they could potentially headline Isle of Wight again, but they share headliners with the like of Kendal Calling already so I wouldn't really see them being booked for APE, Kendal, Truck, etc. as that much of a drop

Edited by rawaudioinput

2 hours ago, thewayiam said:

You can dress it up how you want but there is two main stages with 6 headliners. This is just like saying that the first co-headliner isn't a headliner because they are second and that every festival with two main stages and two or more headliners are lying. I was unsure on Catfish and although they are at Neighbourhood, playing 10 arenas over the period of March and November last year says they probably are. Disclosure are by far the odd one but they have a light show that any earlier on an outside stage is pointless.

They are lying. It’s called marketing.

There have been a few cases over the history of R&L where you could say the co-headliners are as big as the main ones (Paramore/ QOTSA, Foals/ Disclosure), further proven when they switch who plays last at each venue. 

Otherwise one has always been bigger and, shock horror, always played last. This year this is the case, it’s clear which is the 1st stage and which is the second. We have real headliners and we have subs. 

53 minutes ago, Benj said:

There have been a few cases over the history of R&L where you could say the co-headliners are as big as the main ones (Paramore/ QOTSA, Foals/ Disclosure), further proven when they switch who plays last at each venue. 

Otherwise one has always been bigger and, shock horror, always played last. This year this is the case, it’s clear which is the 1st stage and which is the second. We have real headliners and we have subs. 

I do agree, I think you can take Post Malone, Stormzy and LG and have them headline the festival

But Queens, Catfish, Disclosure would look incredibly week. I wouldn’t say subs tho coz they’ll prolly get a very similar time slot

2 hours ago, Benj said:

You know Reading has rotated co-headliners at each site so whichever played last at one didn't at the other.

I know what it's called but the way you believe it is an are describing it is a little off.

4 hours ago, rawaudioinput said:

Stereophonics played both those venues on their last tour and headlined Kendal Calling in 2017

Biffy are of course a bit different in that they are established major festival headliners, but it does feel like they're running out of options to maintain that status

The last time they headlined Download they reportedly played to a smaller crowd than Rob Zombie on the 2nd stage and their booking for 2021 has been met with universal indifference

Of course they could potentially headline Isle of Wight again, but they share headliners with the like of Kendal Calling already so I wouldn't really see them being booked for APE, Kendal, Truck, etc. as that much of a drop

Agree with you here. Headlining an arena doesn't automatically still make them a festival headliner. When Biffy started playing Download, they made a lot more music that fitted in there and were a smaller band so took slots that didn't mean missing someone major say and more 'Download'. They now make music a lot different, their Download shows are attended poorly and number 1 album or not which isn't that hard nowadays, they are dropping like flies from sales and interest.  Realistically under 40k records sold in a first week is very low compared to years gone due to the impact of spotify/amazon music and apple music etc.

Edited by thewayiam

9 hours ago, Andre91 said:

You said yourself that they are a safe booking for the major festivals

Might be wrong but I'm pretty sure I said they're a safe booking for Download. Lots of bookings that are safe for Download are not safe for other major festivals - in fact, a safe Download booking is someone who has headlined Download before at this point.

@rawaudioinputis explaining this better than I can so I should probably step aside but the days of sorting headliners into tiers for major festival headliners, medium-sized festival headliners, etc. are gone, surely? Six headliners at R+L, the biggest due to headline Latitude this year and the smallest Tramlines and Lovebox. TRNSMT has Courteeners, V is dead, T is dead, IOW has depreciated... Unless you think that Biffy are at a level where only someone like R+L or Glastonbury could realistically afford to convince them away from stadium shows (see Muse, Foos, Chilis) then I don't see what there is to fight against.

I could see Biffy playing Kendal and Victorious types as soon as 2022. What else are they gonna do that year? Could head to Boardmasters in 2021 even, however that wouldn't be a surprise given that they've had a few bigger headliners than Biffy booked in the last couple of years.

• Upvote 2