2021 Lineup

30 minutes ago, Sam Y said:

I think it would be an unlikely booking

I don't know, they've got a bit of history with the fest (Post Malone headlining twice within as many years? I'll trump that with the days of them subbing two consecutive years!) and have a few popular tunes that I'm sure the average Reading/Leeds goer would recognise. They could play a Kooks/Wombats type slot.

2 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I would love Bloc Party to play but they won’t get booked. They’re too interesting for the Wombats-loving Dark Fruits crowd. 

Should have got them a couple of years ago when they were touring Silent Alarm in full to be fair, that album still slaps.

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Yep if this second main stage has swallowed up what would’ve been the NME stage then I’d expect the acts to reflect as such, e.g. the acts opening it up to be similar to those that would’ve previously been on first in the NME tent, not twice as many big main stage acts like are being predicted. 

edit: on second thought maybe slightly bigger than NME openers considering how it’ll work, but certainly not two main stages worth of ‘big’ acts.

I was just thinking a full main stage lineup split across two stages.

2 hours ago, Alex Winstone said:

Bloc Party sub/3rd down to catfish? 

I am not sure they're still a band.

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I was just thinking a full main stage lineup split across two stages.

I thought it’d be a few more than that as surely there will now be less time between acts as whilst one stage is in use the other can be set up for the following band? Or maybe that’s just me expecting too much of this whole two main stage thing. 

23 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I thought it’d be a few more than that as surely there will now be less time between acts as whilst one stage is in use the other can be set up for the following band? Or maybe that’s just me expecting too much of this whole two main stage thing. 

That’s how I saw it, opener on West stage plays then opener of East and it keeps going up

21 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I drink dark fruits

Gross. 

15 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Bury Tomorrow, Code Orange, Counterparts.

I'm a little worried your 28 and spent that much on a Leeds Festival ticket 😉

Not very good examples there! Bury Tomorrow aren’t an exciting band, they’re very good at what they do, but they do one thing and one thing only, likewise for Counterparts. I’ll give you Code Orange, though. They are the most exciting band on the planet. You should give Phoxjaw, Elephant Tree, Loathe and even Backxwash a go. Then you’ll see that there is plenty of exciting stuff going on. 

And don’t worry yourself with what I spend my finances on :) 

Edited by Andre91

What’s up with all the shitting on Disclosure? I not a massive fan of theirs but I do think theyre getting more flack than needed. If they bring out guests it could be pretty great. To those who are saying ‘what have they done since 2016 to deserve to be headliner again?’ what are you on about? This is only ever a criteria I see brought up about bands people don’t like. It’s not like they got bumped up from radio one to headliners, they’ve gone from One of three headliner to one of six headliners so is already arguably a downgrade.

Queens of the Stone Age have arguably done less but aren’t getting the same reception? They both have released an album but Disclosure has also had massive hits in their songs with Khalid, are in top 200 in world on Spotify (I know Spotify isn’t a perfect metric but it is a decent indicator) and are arguably at least top 5 current dance acts. I’d be lying if my knowledge of dance acts is extensive but the only one I could name bigger is Calvin Harris.

Don’t get me wrong I think Queens are a good booking but are you probably a ‘weaker’ one especially since people around my age barely know them. (Don’t hit me with the whole, I’m young I know them shit because your on a music board so you probably do, I’m talking people who know but don’t have a particular interest in music)

sorry rant over. Dunno why I got so passionate about it, like I said I don’t even massively like Disclosure. Just think no one will ever be happy with the line up nowadays, which is fine because it’s an opinion but just because you don’t like an act doesn’t mean they shouldn’t headliner or are a ‘wrong’ booking.

Edited by Jonathan Jonathan
  • Upvote 4

36 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Gross. 

Not very good examples there! Bury Tomorrow aren’t an exciting band, they’re very good at what they do, but they do one thing and one thing only, likewise for Counterparts. I’ll give you Code Orange, though. They are the most exciting band on the planet. You should give Phoxjaw, Elephant Tree, Loathe and even Backxwash a go. Then you’ll see that there is plenty of exciting stuff going on. 

And don’t worry yourself with what I spend my finances on :) 

Haha, the point is that Dark Fruits doesn't just distinguish certain music. I am also not a beer drinker, can't stand it. Dark Fruits banter aside.

It's just screamy shouty bollocks to be, can't understand a bloody word.

Yes Code Orange did nothing for me, but given my original comment obviously it's just shits and giggles. You are more than entitled to like what you do.

Ah I'm not, but it is absolute trash, and that's coming from someone that would have thought even a BMTH 2nd stage set would have been better. I don't like them, that is a bit far but I can at least put on and listen to some of their more commercial outputs whereas early stuff I wasn't fussed at all for. I actually remember being at Download and going into the crowd on the Linkin Park HT day and we just walked out and went to sit back down. Friday was actually a better day for me with The Offspring, Bad Religion and Flogging Molly one after another being very much my thing. Skindred also on the bill and a chance to catch a little of Within Temptation but I couldn't justify driving up and back two days running and the cost. That day bar and Saturday 2017 were good for me but those 3 in 2014 I can see for the price of a day ticket almost.

4 hours ago, Jonathan Jonathan said:

What’s up with all the shitting on Disclosure? I not a massive fan of theirs but I do think theyre getting more flack than needed. If they bring out guests it could be pretty great. To those who are saying ‘what have they done since 2016 to deserve to be headliner again?’ what are you on about? This is only ever a criteria I see brought up about bands people don’t like. It’s not like they got bumped up from radio one to headliners, they’ve gone from One of three headliner to one of six headliners so is already arguably a downgrade.

Queens of the Stone Age have arguably done less but aren’t getting the same reception? They both have released an album but Disclosure has also had massive hits in their songs with Khalid, are in top 200 in world on Spotify (I know Spotify isn’t a perfect metric but it is a decent indicator) and are arguably at least top 5 current dance acts. I’d be lying if my knowledge of dance acts is extensive but the only one I could name bigger is Calvin Harris.

Don’t get me wrong I think Queens are a good booking but are you probably a ‘weaker’ one especially since people around my age barely know them. (Don’t hit me with the whole, I’m young I know them shit because your on a music board so you probably do, I’m talking people who know but don’t have a particular interest in music)

sorry rant over. Dunno why I got so passionate about it, like I said I don’t even massively like Disclosure. Just think no one will ever be happy with the line up nowadays, which is fine because it’s an opinion but just because you don’t like an act doesn’t mean they shouldn’t headliner or are a ‘wrong’ booking.

There will be no Disclosure bashing from me. 100 gecs aside, they’re the act I’m most looking forward to seeing.  

It’s so interesting how quick things change innit. In 2009/2010 Queens were a massive booking for the festival. In 2008 Rage were also a huge booking.

Now these acts are considered the weaker artists on a lineup and will probably get the smallest crowds.

I do think going forward R&L should continue to book these bands but it’s spinning my head a bit to think that Queens can be considered a heritage act. If Queens are a heritage act then surely Foos are too right?

rock is so dead lol

Edited by Matt42

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

If Queens are a heritage act then surely Foos are too right?

Foos have been a heritage act since about 2009. Rage haven't released anything in 20 years either so that's no surprise either.

I'm not as ready to believe Queens are because Like Clockwork took them to another level and made end of decade lists, that was only the album before last. They're an old band but I don't think they're at a point where people give their new album a cursory listen and go see them for old songs just yet.

I mean I think it still has a place at the festival, by the Sunday all the kids are mostly of their heads on alcohol and or drugs and so having a heavier headliner/main stage on the Sunday attracts the older crowd. Ik for Foos last year there were a few kids down the front because it’s music they may have grown up with and the other options were poor. It could’ve been the same with Rage, they go to see a song coz they don’t like anyone else. Queens could also be a pull, although they’re smaller than the two mentioned abover

2 minutes ago, Gerard the Fab said:

I mean I think it still has a place at the festival, by the Sunday all the kids are mostly of their heads on alcohol and or drugs and so having a heavier headliner/main stage on the Sunday attracts the older crowd. Ik for Foos last year there were a few kids down the front because it’s music they may have grown up with and the other options were poor. It could’ve been the same with Rage, they go to see a song coz they don’t like anyone else. Queens could also be a pull, although they’re smaller than the two mentioned abover

They only play Sunday at Reading. :P