2021 Lineup

37 minutes ago, Miyn said:

Surely tommorow when everyone buys their ticket they'll have to say whether or not they'll be more than 3 stages? Because if you hadn't been on here or hadn't seen the rumour you'd assume everything would be going ahead as relatively normal. So I feel like it would be pretty bad of them to not announce it if it was changing significantly.

you’d like to think so but melvin benn doesn’t know what day it is let alone is competent enough to consider something like this

1 hour ago, heartsink said:

Great analogy and couldn’t agree more with it, sadly that’s the way bands especially the younger ones seem to think these days I know josh from YM@6 has spoken out about it and I’ve noticed the brave forward steps they have took in a change of direction with the new single it will certainly be exciting to see which way that goes although we can all guess.

In another topic bet it’s horrible to feel pigeon holed into one style of music enter have been great pioneers for that throughout their careers and BMTH have just took that to another level but when you look into that, that is a small circle of bands that have supported each other for years and that’s great for them but why aren’t others following, it’s fucking madness.

but yeah man the crab theory definitely makes sense to the shitty line ups at festivals these days instead of saying yeah we will play I bet it goes along the lines of where will we be playing who’s above us, oh really those guys are subbing and we are mid day? It’s okay we will leave it ask us when we can headline 😂😂 

You Me At Six are a terrible example. Josh, the vanilla frontman of one of the most vanilla bands out there, can’t comment shit on the state of rock music. He and his band are responsible for some of the blandest rock music of the last decade, both directly from them and from bands they’ve influenced. 

Their new song is as awful as anything else they’ve released since Sinners Never Sleep. It’s supposed to be some ‘protest’ song and something edgier but it’s still boring. They’re like a lot of bands of their ilk in that they haven’t directed their ‘anger’ at anything specific (like IDLES do, for example), they’ve just made a typically vanilla, bland, ‘everything is fucked’ kind of protest song. It’s crap. 

There is plenty of exciting stuff going off in the worlds of rock and heavier music. You Me At Six are not one of them. 

Edited by Andre91

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

You Me At Six are a terrible example. Josh, the vanilla frontman of one of the most vanilla bands out there, can’t comment shit on the state of rock music. He and his band are responsible for some of the blandest rock music of the last decade, both directly from them and from bands they’ve influenced. 

Their new song is as awful as anything else they’ve released since Sinners Never Sleep. It’s supposed to be some ‘protest’ song and something edgier but it’s still boring. They’re like a lot of bands of their ilk in that they haven’t directed their ‘anger’ at anything specific (like IDLES do, for example), they’ve just made a typically vanilla, bland, ‘everything is fucked’ kind of protest song. It’s crap. 

There is plenty of exciting stuff going off in the worlds of rock and heavier music. You Me At Six are not one of them. 

Ah, You Me At Six. Memories of Twitter circa 2012 when they seemed to be everyone's favourite band.

13 minutes ago, Dukey said:

The new BMtH and Yungblud is exceptional, absolute banger. They’ve missed the boat not getting BMtH headlining. 

3 minutes ago, Tom Connolly said:

new BMTH is an absolute killer, what were they thinking not booking them?

Agreed. The new tune with Yungblud is a very good and heavy track. Can’t believe they’ve not booked them to headline, would’ve been great! 

2 hours ago, VCK said:

Which is funny because old school hip hop fans have been very elitist about acts selling out and being too mainstream. And diss tracks were a lot more common back then than they are now.

But the modern day rap fans are the same kind of people who would have listened to The Kooks and The Fratellis 15 years ago. Marketed at a mainstream, impressionable audience that are happy to just go with the flow. It's all about what the publications decide is good. And I think if these publications stopped decreeing that rock is no longer "cool" and writing hitpieces about how "problematic" rock and its fans are, and actually started promoting good bands more often, rock will be popular again.

I think with the emergence of bands like Royal Blood, IDLES and Slaves, and the popularity of the likes of Biffy Clyro and BMTH, there's definitely a gap in the market for heavy rock becoming the next big thing, rather than Indie again. Foo Fighters, Muse, QOTSA and Green Day are still big draws and if done right it could definitely make a comeback.

What people don't want are yet more Arctic Monkeys and Libertines clones. Both brilliant bands in their own right but their sound has been run into the ground and I think most people grew bored of it years ago.

It will be interesting to see what comes next, I think heavy rock may have a little too much in common with Grime/ rap re the overall sound, maybe some Britpoppy Indie type stuff...?

7 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

That new BMTH track absolutely fucking slaps. I wasn’t expecting it to be as good as it is. Why on Earth haven’t they been booked for 2021!? 

Them in for Catfish and the Line up would look a lot stronger 

1 minute ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

No there not, the target demographic wouldn't be able to name two songs.

I think they would, if you’re going for a Dance act Disclosure would be the best selling one apart from Calvin

Edited by Gerard the Fab

2 hours ago, Andre91 said:

You have to be correct. As someone who has been to the last 20 Readings, I can’t name one of their songs, or indeed describe what they sound like. Deffo given them a listen but not in anyway been slightly tempted to ever bother seeing them