2021 Lineup

40 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

To me, wolf alice are a headline in this pool, or at least co-headline with catfish. I saw them headline truck last year and they put on a better show than I’ve ever seen catfish do before. It was really awesome.

Maybe they will be offered a sub position, but I think it’s unlikely given the current line up position, but if they are offered 3rd down I hope they don’t take it as I think that would be a bit insulting to their status and performance quality.

And this is where the problem could lie, bands turning down slots because they believe their worth is more!  Bands should just fucking want to play festivals and be apart of it sadly this is why the indie rock scene is failing currently and the grime rap scene is thriving

all the colabs that happen, how all the acts in that scene support each other even when you look at the one xtra stage it just always seems so stacked of acts and I really do believe band egos is a deep rooted issue these days, they would rather be seen as better than another band than help promote each other 

2 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

What on Earth do you mean that Billie co-headlined last year? She played fifth down. 

No i mean there was a co headline that day so she appears 4th down on the poster when in reality she played 5th down

2 minutes ago, Jericode said:

And I thought people arguing that Travis Scott co-headlined because of font size were pushing it.

He subbed and thats included in the top 4 of the MS

Just now, Gerard the Fab said:

Subbed and thats included in the top 4 of the MS

My point wasn't aimed at you specifically, I just thought you were implying what Andre said, now you've clarified what you meant it makes sense.

There are a lot of people who say Scott co-headlined though when he was never billed as such.

1 minute ago, Jericode said:

My point wasn't aimed at you specifically, I just thought you were implying what Andre said, now you've clarified what you meant it makes sense.

There are a lot of people who say Scott co-headlined though when he was never billed as such.

In my eyes he was a sub as I think most people agree with on here

7 minutes ago, heartsink said:

And this is where the problem could lie, bands turning down slots because they believe their worth is more!  Bands should just fucking want to play festivals and be apart of it sadly this is why the indie rock scene is failing currently and the grime rap scene is thriving

all the colabs that happen, how all the acts in that scene support each other even when you look at the one xtra stage it just always seems so stacked of acts and I really do believe band egos is a deep rooted issue these days, they would rather be seen as better than another band than help promote each other 

On the contrary, I think a lot of guitar rock bands lack ego these days. Having ego didn't hurt the likes of Oasis, The Stone Roses, The Smiths, the Manics, Smashing Pumpkins, Tool or The Clash. Having an ego as a musician isn't a bad thing as it affords  ballsiness to the music. Rock artists in 2020 are too nicey nicey, "happy to be there", and play it safe, while rappers on the other hand aren't and that's why their success matches their ambition.

still find it ridiculous this guy hasn’t been booked, I’m hoping it’s due to the fact he will remain a APE exclusive next year along with some of the other acts like touted to headline like Billie, Haim (play o2 in June so maybe not) it gives the feel as it’s their own show but with spectacular support bands it would then make the bookings of catfish and disclosure more understandable.

thinking about it you may well see dua lipa at parklife or wireless as a exclusive and Florence might get her own Hyde park show, bmth could be planning on tramlines or even there own summer shows I believe arctic monkeys will be doing a solo show in Sheffield so big year for Sheffield gigs on the horizon, so its only really untill stuff starts to get announced will we understand the line up it could may well turn out to be the best they could pull together 

54 minutes ago, heartsink said:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, thetime said:

Catfish didn't manage to sell out there day at neighbourhood festival in 2020, also not for the 2021 edition. A festival which is only 20k capacity. Quite a big jump to a festival the size of reading and leeds.

I really like Catfish though, so glad they are playing.

Nor citadel, but they have done big london festivals 3 years in a row and were doing a 4th in 2020. They definitely sell a lot of tickets each year so I would say its not completely out of place. Way more than Wolf Alice/HAIM to the target audience anyway if not overall

1 hour ago, Jericode said:

And I thought people arguing that Travis Scott co-headlined because of font size were pushing it.

Most of my friends just remember him as headlining since it was dark at the end and they didn't go to fall out boy

26 minutes ago, Benj said:

Great analogy and couldn’t agree more with it, sadly that’s the way bands especially the younger ones seem to think these days I know josh from YM@6 has spoken out about it and I’ve noticed the brave forward steps they have took in a change of direction with the new single it will certainly be exciting to see which way that goes although we can all guess.

In another topic bet it’s horrible to feel pigeon holed into one style of music enter have been great pioneers for that throughout their careers and BMTH have just took that to another level but when you look into that, that is a small circle of bands that have supported each other for years and that’s great for them but why aren’t others following, it’s fucking madness.

but yeah man the crab theory definitely makes sense to the shitty line ups at festivals these days instead of saying yeah we will play I bet it goes along the lines of where will we be playing who’s above us, oh really those guys are subbing and we are mid day? It’s okay we will leave it ask us when we can headline 😂😂 

Oh well, another year away for me then. Just a couple points, both the stages side by side and opposite have been used and worked. The side by side thing makes for a more music filled day with a more pleasant experience for festival goers. The stages opposite thing is good for the organisers who have to put on less music and have a horde of people walking past secondary income outlets after every act. It's also good for "turtles" who have a seat strapped to their arse all day. They just sit in the middle and spin round when an act changes. I suspect that will be what happens purely because R/L is a cash milking machine.

2 hours ago, FestivalJamie said:

To me, wolf alice are a headline in this pool, or at least co-headline with catfish. I saw them headline truck last year and they put on a better show than I’ve ever seen catfish do before. It was really awesome.

Maybe they will be offered a sub position, but I think it’s unlikely given the current line up position, but if they are offered 3rd down I hope they don’t take it as I think that would be a bit insulting to their status and performance quality.

I really like Wolf Alice and think they're great live but they wouldn't attract a crowd as big as catb/sell as many tickets as them. 

I love Wolf Alice but they’re genuinely sub at very best until there’s a new album. They don’t shift enough tickets. Their tours are mostly academies and they sub or headline mid tier festivals. Whilst catfish have also headlined mid tier festivals, they’re way too big to even consider subbing them plus they did two full arena tours last year which almost if not fully sold out. Not to mention that they’ve been consistently doing arenas for a couple years now while Wolf Alice’s biggest ever gigs have been at Ally Pally or Roundhouse on different tours that I believe didn’t even sell out. Someone is gonna mention that Wolf Alice headlines truck last year and Catfish were supposed to headline this year but when you look at Catfish’s festival dates for this year it’s pretty evident they were taking lower slots than usual (for example Catfish would and have in the past headliner YNOT, while Wolf Alice subbed)

I’m not some Catfish superfan trying to defend and justify them just simply trying to explain why they’re headliners as I’ve seen a fair few people say it’s unwarranted and they were an easy comparison to link into this Wolf Alice point.

• Upvote 1

Surely tommorow when everyone buys their ticket they'll have to say whether or not they'll be more than 3 stages? Because if you hadn't been on here or hadn't seen the rumour you'd assume everything would be going ahead as relatively normal. So I feel like it would be pretty bad of them to not announce it if it was changing significantly.

Edited by Miyn

1 hour ago, Benj said:

Which is funny because old school hip hop fans have been very elitist about acts selling out and being too mainstream. And diss tracks were a lot more common back then than they are now.

But the modern day rap fans are the same kind of people who would have listened to The Kooks and The Fratellis 15 years ago. Marketed at a mainstream, impressionable audience that are happy to just go with the flow. It's all about what the publications decide is good. And I think if these publications stopped decreeing that rock is no longer "cool" and writing hitpieces about how "problematic" rock and its fans are, and actually started promoting good bands more often, rock will be popular again.

I think with the emergence of bands like Royal Blood, IDLES and Slaves, and the popularity of the likes of Biffy Clyro and BMTH, there's definitely a gap in the market for heavy rock becoming the next big thing, rather than Indie again. Foo Fighters, Muse, QOTSA and Green Day are still big draws and if done right it could definitely make a comeback.

What people don't want are yet more Arctic Monkeys and Libertines clones. Both brilliant bands in their own right but their sound has been run into the ground and I think most people grew bored of it years ago.

Edited by VCK

32 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Personally I think Dua Lipa has missed out 21 to headline 22 outright. I think you with have as an early outside prediction, Dua Lipa, Arctic Monkeys and RATM.

That’s way too good, swap Rage for Biffy and someone I reckon

Edited by Gerard the Fab