2021 Lineup

7 minutes ago, Tom Connolly said:

the more i think about this 2 main stage idea the less excited i become, i think it’s a ridiculous idea 

It certainly doesn't 'feel' right and I deffo don't like the idea of the side by side thing, seems hugely gymmicky.

Luckily East and West at Reading certainly suggests one at each end of the current site, otherwise it would surely be North and South, or Left and Right, or Red and Yellow

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Benj said:

It certainly doesn't 'feel' right and I deffo don't like the idea of the side by side thing, seems hugely gymmicky.

Luckily East and West at Reading certainly suggests one at each end of the current site, otherwise it would surely be North and South, or Left and Right, or Red and Yellow

i really now believe they should’ve just had one main stage and use the 6 as 3 sets of coheadliners rather than the 2 main stages, keep the R1 tent and the rest of it as it is. side by side or facing each other thing sounds horrendous to me. either at opposite ends of the arena or nothing imo 

27 minutes ago, Tom Connolly said:

the more i think about this 2 main stage idea the less excited i become, i think it’s a ridiculous idea 

Looking at 2019's clash finder it appears 195 minutes of time was lost on the Foo's day, on the same day 400 minutes of music was played on the radio 1 stage. Thats a loss of 200 minutes of music, not including other cost cutting factors such as less sound/lightening guys, security etc. This is nothing but a cost cutting exercise. 

If they wanted a main stage which never clashed they could have installed something similar to Live Earth which literally rotated and had music all day apart from a 5 minute buffer. 

Edit: Heres a link explaining the Live Earth stage: https://www.therevolvingstagecompany.co.uk/live-earth/

Edited by La fiesta

Either way it’s going to be a bit manic trying to get to the other stage. I know it’s not ideal but I’ll probably try the method of choosing which headliner/sub/3rd down etc I want to see more.

Id want to see QOTSA much more than LG and so will go as far forward as possible, obviously id like to be down the front for Liam because of the atmosphere but if I can’t get there it’s fine. 
Id want to be down the front for Stormzy and so will try and get quite close for Catfish but get out maybe a bit earlier so I can push my way into a decent position in front of the other stage for Stormzy. I think they’ll be side by side because it makes more sense so there’s less travel time

Not wishing to labour the point, but if you overlay 2 of the 2019 stages over the 2018 version there’s really not much of a difference in terms of its footprint. If they were to the further reduce the width the side screens (not done here) it makes very little difference to main stage area

EE923256-1E7C-4B89-8F99-147FEA73680B.jpeg

4EC0D6C9-23B5-4E1F-BF67-778D74A9C112.jpeg

image.png.022eebf1866ab9480a3f099b891bbd66.pngseems pretty simple to me, the current stage is east from crowd view and the R1 is west facing, if it was north and south then having them next to each other would make sense but like this it doesn't at all. the APE map shows the same thing just orientated slightly differently (not sure what the north stage is doing though)

image.thumb.png.91056990783911e1a8f3cf206648af8a.png

EDIT: alternatively they could have them both facing the same was as dance and have them next to eachother and the names would make sense. probably couldn't have them facing the way of the pit due to sound reaching the town centre i'd think

Edited by gfa
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Would still be an underwhelming line-up. And no PJ Harvey, Garbage, Alabama Shakes, Honeyblood or Amyl And The Sniffers who would all be great additions to any festival line-up. Florence is the only good headliner there.

Then if you're including bands that aren't female fronted but have female members...Pumpkins, Pixies and Arcade Fire anyone?

Edited by VCK

2 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Too many of you are over thinking this. The stages are going to be side by side. How is the concept of left being West and right being East causing such a stir for so many? Look at the image posted on the previous page. They will be side by side. 

Everyone’s entitled to their opinion however side by side no matter how much it’s been “tried and tested” won’t be the format they follow.

it would be horrendous for bar sales, toilets at that one area would be hammered constantly and these people who believe they are entitled to stand in the front pit all day waiting for one headliner will just piss others off who like to dip in and out for their favourite act 

The stages will be facing each other like slam dunk have done at their new sites causing bars to be used more, more toilets around the arena being used instead of one set, and other stages, food vendors and stall being visited. 

I couldn’t describe reading but for people that know Leeds festival I reckon the second stage would be right at the back where they usually have the food vendors with the toilets behind (the toilets with the bbc and fr stages near them) there would be no stamped to stages people just turn round or get off to explore other stages and areas like it’s always been, the added stage doesn’t make a difference because one one band will still be playing that area 

3 minutes ago, heartsink said:

it would be horrendous for bar sales, toilets at that one area would be hammered constantly and these people who believe they are entitled to stand in the front pit all day waiting for one headliner will just piss others off who like to dip in and out for their favourite act 

Not relevant to the discussion - I don't do it myself but if i pay £205+ for my ticket, i'm more than entitled than to wait for the headliner i want to see. How you can even suggest otherwise is ridiculous. Also with 2 main stages it won't be as bad because these people will be spread out more whether they are next to each other or at opposite ends of the site

Edited by gfa

9 minutes ago, VCK said:

Would still be an underwhelming line-up. And no PJ Harvey, Garbage, Alabama Shakes, Honeyblood or Amyl And The Sniffers who would all be great additions to any festival line-up. Florence is the only good headliner there.

Then if you're including bands that aren't female fronted but have female members...Pumpkins, Pixies and Arcade Fire anyone?

Bjork.. 👍

6 minutes ago, gfa said:

Not relevant to the discussion - I don't do it myself but if i pay £205+ for my ticket, i'm more than entitled than to wait for the headliner i want to see. How you can even suggest otherwise is ridiculous. Also with 2 main stages it won't be as bad because these people will be spread out more whether they are next to each other or at opposite ends of the site

Course it’s relevant bar sales drive the festival what kind of stupid comment is that to make 

if your queueing up at a toilet for 30 mins your going to be pissed off 

I agree about the you can stand where ever you want for however long you want comment because everyone’s paid the same, im just saying it pisses people off, I’ve been stood at gigs festivals before waiting and when the young ones come down five mins before the band are due to start and push there way to the front it causes aggro and tension luckily stuff that like that doesn’t phase me I believe people can do whatever they want within reason, but alot of other people don’t think that way 

11 minutes ago, VCK said:

That’s not the point, the post isn’t saying “this should be the line up” it’s just pooling together potential female artists or bands with female members who could be booked.

It’s just showing how much variety and talent there is out there from women in the industry, yet year upon year a strong female demographic fails to get booked at a lot of festivals, R&L included.

Haim and wolf Alice also are much stronger than catfish as headliners, I’ve said that before and I’ll say it again.

13 minutes ago, VCK said:

Plenty of other choices for lower stages too. The Interrupters, Stand Atlantic, and Hot Milk would both be great on The Pit/Lock-Up.

1 minute ago, heartsink said:

Course it’s relevant bar sales drive the festival what kind of stupid comment is that to make 

if your queueing up at a toilet for 30 mins your going to be pissed off 

I agree about the you can stand where ever you want for however long you want comment because everyone’s paid the same, im just saying it pisses people off, I’ve been stood at gigs festivals before waiting and when the young ones come down five mins before the band are due to start and push there way to the front it causes aggro and tension luckily stuff that like that phase me I believe people can do whatever they want within reason, but alot of other people don’t think that way 

I meant that my comment about people standing in the crowd waiting for a headliner wasn't really relevant. Bar Sales would definitely take a hit i agree although they seem pretty low at reading in the first place given a third to a half of the audience probably is under 18. Pushing through is a weird one, i will go through a lot but if people don't do that then people at the back will be stuck with people who want to mosh, set off flares etc etc. just let people through i say

1 minute ago, Jericode said:

Plenty of other choices for lower stages too. The Interrupters, Stand Atlantic, and Hot Milk would both be great on The Pit/Lock-Up.

It’s just one persons personal take on it, it’s not to say this is a good line up, it’s just to emphasise how many female musicians there are out there who could be booked.

4 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

That’s not the point, the post isn’t saying “this should be the line up” it’s just pooling together potential female artists or bands with female members who could be booked.

It’s just showing how much variety and talent there is out there from women in the industry, yet year upon year a strong female demographic fails to get booked at a lot of festivals, R&L included.

Haim and wolf Alice also are much stronger than catfish as headliners, I’ve said that before and I’ll say it again.

I'm just throwing in a few more female names. There's been a whole ton of iconic female musicians that people seem to sleep on.

Not sure about Haim, but Wolf Alice have potential to be a future headliner. To be fair to Catfish they already have the experience of playing arenas and headlining other festivals that Wolf Alice don't yet have. If their next album does well they'll be up there though I think. They could yet be subbing R&L this year.

Edited by VCK