2021 Lineup

2 hours ago, VCK said:

As I said in a previous post, if anything the problem lies with the music industry as a whole rather than specific festivals, and for all we know they could have tried going for a female headliner, but none of the acts they wanted were available to play at the festival next year, be it because they're already booked as exclusives elsewhere or maybe they don't even have any plans to tour. Who knows, really? It's hard to say that Reading and Leeds haven't been making the effort with the gender thing, especially in recent years when they've been giving main stage slots to the likes of Billie Eilish, Mabel, Dua Lipa, Charli XCX, Pvris, et al. Still not 50/50 of course, but I don't think a perfect half and half split between the genders is realistic when you take into account a number of factors.

I could roll off a long list of female and non-white artists I'd love to see at the festival but have zero chance of being booked for 2021. When I see a festival line-up, the ratio between male and female artists is a determining factor for what makes it good for me. The ratio between artists I like, and artists I'm not fussed about is. I'd rather see the Manics or Tool on a festival line-up than Dua Lipa or Billie Eilish. Likewise, I'd also rather see Public Enemy or PJ Harvey than Catfish or Lewis Capaldi.

Basically. I should have said black fronted artists.

Isn’t that the same as saying female fronted ?

14 minutes ago, Gerard the Fab said:

So Rage Against the Machine who went to number one in 2009 is soulless? Biffys album went to number 1 as did all of LGs

Muse have had 22 top 40 hits

Foals have had all 6 albums in top 40

6 top 40 songs for QOTSA

and Foo Fighters have had 21, shall I continue?

also the goats MCR spent 2 weeks at number 1 and have had 8 top 40 songs, and i do not believe any of the above mentioned are soulless

I meant musically soulless.

My favorite ever band, the Manics, have had number one singles but they’re far from soulless.

I don't think they'll be just 3 stages. It will either go ahead as relatively normal or won't. If Melvin is so confident in this full capacity plan why would they only have 3 stages?

I think they'll keep the Radio 1 as the amount of acts on the main stage won't be that different to normal.

11 minutes ago, VCK said:

I meant musically soulless.

My favorite ever band, the Manics, have had number one singles but they’re far from soulless.

How is someone musically soulless surely that’s a matter of opinion, Dua Lipa is not musically soulless she takes from loads of different genres and creates her own sound. Billie is completely unique 

10 minutes ago, Gerard the Fab said:

How is someone musically soulless surely that’s a matter of opinion, Dua Lipa is not musically soulless she takes from loads of different genres and creates her own sound. Billie is completely unique 

I agree with you completely. Just because an artist is mainstream it doesn't mean that they're soulless.

22 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Christ, ladrockers are the worst. Claiming that there's no female headliners because none are good enough. Saying shit like "headliners should be chosen because of their talent, not just to make the festival more diverse!"

To a point, it’s hardly their fault the music industry is the way it is. Look to blame the companies pulling the strings on who’s marketable first, then the attitude of who you call “ladrockers” will follow

There may be more or less suited bands than Catfish (for example) that COULD headline this year, but you really have to go back at least 3-5+ years and say these women should’ve been promoted back then to higher slots/given the smaller slots to start the growth of their reputations within the festival. there’s a sizeable chunk on that line up with females in the bands (albeit lower) but this could be them planting the seed for the future... I doubt it but you have to hope.

IMO the acts that are truly big enough and suit the festival are Flo, Billie and Haim. Flo hasn’t played in years so you’ve got to ask if she’s even interested. Billie has her own huge tour to be rescheduled. Would’ve liked to have seen Haim do it

Edited by Rotinajer

14 minutes ago, Sam Y said:

I agree with you completely. Just because an artist is mainstream it doesn't mean that they're soulless.

In fact many metal bands are surely more soulless after numerous flings with thy devil

25 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Christ, ladrockers are the worst. Claiming that there's no female headliners because none are good enough. Saying shit like "headliners should be chosen because of their talent, not just to make the festival more diverse!"

Maybe not talent, because if that was the case The Gaslight Anthem would have headlined now.

But certainly because of their merit, male or female.

33 minutes ago, rawaudioinput said:

To save millions of pounds on artist fees and logistics

It's not a big enough reason as they haven't done it any other year. And the source of the info is someone who hasn't made any posts before so isn't the most reliable source.

1 minute ago, Tom Connolly said:

hang about why’re we trusting Ian F with that random information when he only joined 2 hours ago, that seems like such a huge change to the festival that surely Dan (who said 120 acts would be announced) would be aware of this

Quite honestly no idea, just seemed like a genuine nice bloke. And I can see beforementioned subs playing. The stage thing however is dubious but understandable

1 minute ago, Miyn said:

It's not a big enough reason as they haven't done it any other year. And the source of the info is someone who hasn't made any posts before so isn't the most reliable source.

they haven't done it in any other year because there wasn't a global fucking pandemic

4 minutes ago, Gerard the Fab said:

If we're talking female representation, i feel like this may have been mentioned before but would P!ATD count with their female bassist or is that pushing it

nah surely not, in fact i seem to remember Panic being announced before Nicole was added to the band so they definitely didn’t book them with that in mind if that’s the case

Just now, Tom Connolly said:

nah surely not, in fact i seem to remember Panic being announced before Nicole was added to the band so they definitely didn’t book them with that in mind if that’s the case

Oh right fair enough, but if they were booked know, would they count of should it be fully female fronted

1 minute ago, Tom Connolly said:

maybe they’d count, seems a bit off to count them because she’s not even a permanent fixture in the band but maybe

Personally I think its a stretch because as you say she is purely a touring member but who knows

2 minutes ago, jumperofftheshelf said:

Yeah I didn’t know if a mixtape would count as a debut as I’m pretty sure that’s about 3 years old

if it does then its a shout, fits under Stormzy, Post Malone and Disclsoure

10 minutes ago, Gerard the Fab said:

If we're talking female representation, i feel like this may have been mentioned before but would P!ATD count with their female bassist or is that pushing it

The fact that she’s a bassist isn’t pushing it (not everyone can be a singer or lead guitarist) it’s more whether she’s a permanent member of the band or not.

4 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

The fact that she’s a bassist isn’t pushing it (not everyone can be a singer or lead guitarist) it’s more whether she’s a permanent member of the band or not.

Yeah thats a true point but Panic is basically Brendon Urie now with touring members so I'd assume not