2021 Lineup

2 hours ago, Baggins7 said:

I’ve can’t ever remember a good reaction to a reading and Leeds line up announcement. A lot of people expect it to be perfectly tailored to their taste, which it never will be. I do always enjoy checking out twitter and efests as people hate it to start, and then seem to grow to quite like it as the festival gets closer.

I’ve never understood it really, just wait till all festival line ups are out and go to the one that’s best suited to you. I’ve been to Reading twice (2014 and 2017) and they were both when the line up suited me, in between ive gone elsewhere.

You bring up a perhaps interesting discussion to be had on brand loyalty. The reason people get pissed at line ups is cus their favourite fest that they always go to isn't bringing them the goods but they will still likely get tickets anyway. Whereas you, more sensibly, look at the product and decide if its for you.

I've done both over the years. Fully get why people stick to one thing, if its the same group of mates or you love it there most of the time anyway so want to go, shit line up or not. But I agree with you that you should vote with your wallet and go to something that you think is worth the money. Way too big of a choice of festivals available to lump yourself somewhere with nothing but crap for 5 days.

7 hours ago, FestivalJamie said:

Sorry but they haven’t booked a female headliner for 6 years. I highly doubt there hasn’t been anyone “worthy” or available for 6 whole years. And this year, when they finally branch out and increase from 3 to 6 headliners, still no female representation.

Im sorry but reading has turned into a rap/pop festival. Whether people like it on here or not, their main bookings this year are post malone, stormzy, disclosure and aj Tracey. Throw in Doja cat and Mabel and you’ve got your line up. They’re only booking QOTSA to satisfy the old time crew, give it 5 years and the old classic acts will be gone and it will just be rap and pop.

Theres no reason lorde, Billie or Dua haven’t been booked for this year. I’d be surprised if we got evidence that they’ve even considered them. They obviously know the big rapper names are what sells the tickets these days and that’s exactly where the festival is heading. The first female headliner and perhaps the only one we will ever see for a long time is cardi b. Maybe Billie at a push but this year would have been the year to book her and it’s clear that’s just not where they want to spend their money.

As I’ve said before wolf Alice are as big as catfish and could have filled that spot. Florence, lorde, haim, Dua or Billie could have easily taken on a headline spot. Lizzo could have taken on a strong sub spot. We could have got given a strong female undercard with fickle friends, anteros, Becky hill etc.. I’m not saying that there’s not still time to add these but when you are presented with doja cat, a tiktok sensation as you’re strongest piece of female representation for 2020, a year of troubled times when we are fighting for equality rights, I find that concerning, sorry.

Do you only listen to female artists or something? You seem incredibly agitated about this.

Either way, should we be looking to the entertainment industry as a marker for a fair and just society? I doubt the most vitriolic misogynist is going to look at a festival line-up with a lot of women on it and think "you know what? I actually like women now!" Essentially you're lamenting people who are more rich and successful than you being denied a chance to become even more rich and successful than you. Like I said, I really doubt sexism has anything to do with why there's no female headliner.

I say just enjoy the music. As an actual music fan myself who can look beyond gender, there's only two good artists there that you mentioned.

• Downvote 1

Conscious sexism probably isn't to blame. Inherent or unconscious sexism arguably must be.

Maybe the behemoth acts like Eilish or Florence were asked and said no, I'd even give them the benefit of the doubt there. In terms of HUGE acts there probably is less women to choose from in the current crop (the reasons for which are an issue in itself), especially Reading centric ones.

But promoting Catfish, a mid level festival headliner, to headline reading when there is probably hundreds of female acts at the same level just as ripe for promotion is a real missed opportunity. Especially since Catfish are everywhere else next year and its not even an exclusive. Its dull on every level.

Also hiring someone to headline 2 fests in a row is nonsense, it's not Download.

2 minutes ago, 1986 said:

Conscious sexism probably isn't to blame. Inherent or unconscious sexism arguably must be.

Maybe the behemoth acts like Eilish or Florence were asked and said no, I'd even give them the benefit of the doubt there. In terms of HUGE acts there probably is less women to choose from in the current crop (the reasons for which are an issue in itself), especially Reading centric ones.

But promoting Catfish, a mid level festival headliner, to headline reading when there is probably hundreds of female acts at the same level just as ripe for promotion is a real missed opportunity. Especially since Catfish are everywhere else next year and its not even an exclusive. Its dull on every level.

Also hiring someone to headline 2 fests in a row is nonsense, it's not Download.

Doesn't exist, same with unconscious/inherent racism. It's just not a thing.

To be fair with Catfish, people have been tipping them to headline for a few years now and there's not really many newer rock bands they can promote in this moment in time.

• Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, VCK said:

Do you only listen to female artists or something? You seem incredibly agitated about this.

I say just enjoy the music. As an actual music fan myself who can look beyond gender, there's only two good artists there that you mentioned.

I like all of the artists that i mentioned and obviously that’s subject to opinion whether you think they classify as “good” or not- i personally think they are all strong artists who would fit Reading’s new demographic well.

Of course I don’t listen to only female artists, it’s absurd to say that. And I’m not just picking festival line ups based on whether i think they have the correct gender ratio or not (I’ve been to truck in the past on a completely male dominated line up as there were lots of bands that I really enjoyed there). But the music industry is incredibly unbalanced when it comes to gender and reading used to be a festival claiming to be supporting bringing woman up in the music industry (via partnership with Smirnoff- I know that means little to nothing) whereas now that has completely out of the window.

As i said above, sziget manages year upon year to create a diverse line up from different backgrounds, nationalities, gender, race, etc. They consistently always make sure to book at least one female headliner. Maybe that’s just to be a “crowd pleaser” and look politically correct but that female is always a strong booking- whether it be Florence, Lana del Ray, Dua lipa etc they always make sure it’s a strong female artist who represents the industry well.

I really struggle to believe that there was no female artist fit to headline this year. When you’ve got a band as medium sized as catfish headlining one of the biggest festivals in the UK you know that the options haven’t been thoroughly considered, or they spent all their money on post malone and stormzy and had to find someone “cheap and suitable” as their last headliner. If you’re gonna put catfish up there as your last headliner, it could have easily been wolf alice or chvrches. In my opinion they are both just as big and much more enjoyable to watch when it comes to live performance than catfish.

At the end of the day when the biggest female they’ve got is Mabel, I don’t think that is representing the music industry well as a whole. As I’ve said before the music industry is already unbalanced enough (an issue marina has already addressed herself) and females need to be supported through their career and festivals like reading are a great platform to do that. 

I think it’s a real missed opportunity to book 6 headliners and not a female artist. If they had booked 6 quality headliners then I would say fair play but when you’ve got catfish and disclosure on there, I really think better bookings could have been made regardless.

Edited by FestivalJamie
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

I like all of the artists that i mentioned and obviously that’s subject to opinion whether you think they classify as “good” or not- i personally think they are all strong artists who would fit Reading’s new demographic well.

Of course I don’t listen to only female artists, it’s absurd to say that. And I’m not just picking festival line ups based on whether i think they have the correct gender ratio or not (I’ve been to truck in the past on a completely male dominated line up as there were lots of bands that I really enjoyed there). But the music industry is incredibly unbalanced when it comes to gender and reading used to be a festival claiming to be supporting bringing woman up in the music industry (via partnership with Smirnoff- I know that means little to nothing) whereas now that has completely out of the window.

As i said above, sziget manages year upon year to create a diverse line up from different backgrounds, nationalities, gender, race, etc. They consistently always make sure to book at least one female headliner. Maybe that’s just to be a “crowd pleaser” and look politically correct but that female is always a strong booking- whether it be Florence, Lana del Ray, Dua lipa etc they always make sure it’s a strong female artist who represents the industry well.

I really struggle to believe that there was no female artist fit to headline this year. When you’ve got a band as medium sized as catfish headlining one of the biggest festivals in the UK you know that the options haven’t been thoroughly considered, or they spent all their money on post malone and stormzy and had to find someone “cheap and suitable” as their last headliner. If you’re gonna put catfish up there as your last headliner, it could have easily been wolf alice or chvrches. In my opinion they are both just as big and much more enjoyable to watch when it comes to live performance than catfish.

At the end of the day when the biggest female they’ve got is Mabel, I don’t think that is representing the music industry well as a whole. As I’ve said before the music industry is already unbalanced enough (an issue marina has already addressed herself) and females need to be supported through their career and festivals like reading are a great platform to do that. 

I think it’s a real missed opportunity to book 6 headliners and not a female artist. If they had booked 6 quality headliners then I would say fair play but when you’ve got catfish and disclosure on there, I really think better bookings could have been made regardless.

Well maybe the issue lies with the music industry and the blame shouldn't be laid at the door of the organisers of a specific festival. On the subject of race, at least there's Stormzy. Not often a black headliner is booked, before Kendrick in 2018 when did that last happen? Public Enemy in 1992? Not counting Gary Powell from The Libertines of course.

At the end of the day, Reading and Leeds are a business. Selling tickets is the number one priority to them, I can guarantee they think a lot more about that than whether there should be a gender balance on the line-up, or if the organisers are a bunch of misogynists who really want to own the women. They've gone with six headliners for next year who will make them money. Yes, someone like Dua or Billie would as well, but you get my point. Maybe neither of them have much plans for next year, who knows? Maybe they're exclusives at another UK festival. There are too many variables to really draw the conclusion of "it's because they're sexist".

And on a side note, the white male artists they book to play these days are rarely ever interesting anyway. :P 

Edited by VCK

38 minutes ago, VCK said:

Either way, should we be looking to the entertainment industry as a marker for a fair and just society? I doubt the most vitriolic misogynist is going to look at a festival line-up with a lot of women on it and think "you know what? I actually like women now!" Essentially you're lamenting people who are more rich and successful than you being denied a chance to become even more rich and successful than you. Like I said, I really doubt sexism has anything to do with why there's no female headliner.

It's about the culture that the entertainment industry has the power to create. What everyone sees/ hears on screen/radio is a big deal, particularly to young people who's opinions on gender roles and equality are shaped massively by it. And if a young person, boy or girl, sees a line up promoted as six big headliners which is all hotdog and no bun they're gonna grow up influenced by that. I'm not saying this one piddling festival has the power to change the world by itself, of course in the grand scheme its just one line up. But its indicative of the culture at large in a lot of corners of the industry. Of course all industries and companies have the same responsibility but it's entertainment that everyone has in common and sees every day on some level.

You're right, average Joe asshole misogynist isn't going to change his mind if he sees more representation, if anything he will get more affronted and annoyed. But like your (don't mean yours personally, just to make sure), "funny" racist grandparent does and says things you wouldn't dream of now, the next generation will hopefully look at us and realise how much work we had to do to improve as well. The hard part for us is most of us really mean well but that doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist. And you're right again, they're probably richer and more successful than I will ever see in my life. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't get a fair amount compared to the men. 

A fine, yet sad, current example, Chadwick Boseman who recently passed away was the lead in the first major studio blockbuster film which had a predominantly black cast. That film came out in 2018! And Boseman now has a legacy of contributing massively to breaking a massive wall down in an industry that wouldn't give opportunities like that to black casts before.

I find it hard to believe anyone can look beyond gender, or colour or orientation. It's part of who you are and who I am. Stormzy is a young black man from London and that absolutely drives his music and also drives why a lot of people love it or will never listen to it (bit of a bad example with how huge he is but you hopefully get my point). Our differences as people shouldn't be ignored, that's not what not being sexist or racist is. The point is being what you are shouldn't hold you back.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, VCK said:

Well maybe the issue lies with the music industry and the blame shouldn't be laid at the door of the organisers of a specific festival. On the subject of race, at least there's Stormzy. Not often a black headliner is booked, before Kendrick in 2018 when did that last happen? Public Enemy in 1992? Not counting Gary Powell from The Libertines of course.

At the end of the day, Reading and Leeds are a business. Selling tickets is the number one priority to them, I can guarantee they think a lot more about that than whether there should be a gender balance on the line-up, or if the organisers are a bunch of misogynists who really want to own the women. They've gone with six headliners for next year who will make them money. Yes, someone like Dua or Billie would as well, but you get my point. Maybe neither of them have much plans for next year, who knows? Maybe they're exclusives at another UK festival. There are too many variables to really draw the conclusion of "it's because they're sexist".

And on a side note, the white male artists they book to play these days are rarely ever interesting anyway. :P 

Why doesn’t Gary Powell count? Because he’s only a drummer? Haha.

I’ve already said what I think about the lack of female artists high in an incredibly uninspired booking. But Dua Lipa could at an almighty push be bought in to sub. That doesn’t excuse the lack of a Billie or Florence at the top but at least a couple of female subs could really help

14 minutes ago, 1986 said:

It's about the culture that the entertainment industry has the power to create. What everyone sees/ hears on screen/radio is a big deal, particularly to young people who's opinions on gender roles and equality are shaped massively by it. And if a young person, boy or girl, sees a line up promoted as six big headliners which is all hotdog and no bun they're gonna grow up influenced by that. I'm not saying this one piddling festival has the power to change the world by itself, of course in the grand scheme its just one line up. But its indicative of the culture at large in a lot of corners of the industry. Of course all industries and companies have the same responsibility but it's entertainment that everyone has in common and sees every day on some level.

You're right, average Joe asshole misogynist isn't going to change his mind if he sees more representation, if anything he will get more affronted and annoyed. But like your (don't mean yours personally, just to make sure), "funny" racist grandparent does and says things you wouldn't dream of now, the next generation will hopefully look at us and realise how much work we had to do to improve as well. The hard part for us is most of us really mean well but that doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist. And you're right again, they're probably richer and more successful than I will ever see in my life. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't get a fair amount compared to the men. 

A fine, yet sad, current example, Chadwick Boseman who recently passed away was the lead in the first major studio blockbuster film which had a predominantly black cast. That film came out in 2018! And Boseman now has a legacy of contributing massively to breaking a massive wall down in an industry that wouldn't give opportunities like that to black casts before.

I find it hard to believe anyone can look beyond gender, or colour or orientation. It's part of who you are and who I am. Stormzy is a young black man from London and that absolutely drives his music and also drives why a lot of people love it or will never listen to it (bit of a bad example with how huge he is but you hopefully get my point). Our differences as people shouldn't be ignored, that's not what not being sexist or racist is. The point is being what you are shouldn't hold you back.

Very well said but out of upvotes.

We’ve just had thousands of people marching down the street to try and improve worldwide black rights and make the world a better place with more equality, I wouldn’t like to think we have to go back to a time when women have to start fighting for their freedoms again because everything has become male dominated.

I know it’s just one festival line up, but i would like the organisers to look at the bigger picture. Booking a big female headliner means a lot to a lot of young people, including myself, in the way that booking stormzy, means a lot to a lot of young people in such challenging and hard times we live in right now. 

At the end of the day R&L may be focussed on money making, I’d like them to start looking at the bigger picture and trying to make a change. I want them to change their festival to make everyone feel welcome. To be quite honest I feel quite uncomfortable in what I feel is a hostile environment created by a lot of the people who go to reading, but if I go to truck down the road or out to sziget I feel welcome and wanted in a loving environment where everyone is accepting of each other. When it comes to the artists you book as a festival, that makes a lot of difference into the type of people who come to your festival and the way people behave at the festival towards others. Glastonbury is equally as diverse, it has such a diverse line up year upon year and an amazing culture, and glasto is something I would love to experience, but unfortunately I haven’t quite made it there yet. I think it’s a shame R&L seemed to be so focussed on the money rather than booking artists which can actually influence a lot of young people and make a positive change in people’s lives.

All I’m asking for is one female headline slot in the last 6 years, just one. I don’t think it’s a hard ask and I really struggle to see how there hasn’t been anyone available for that whole time. I just can’t put my finger on this one, and this year I thought had to be the year with possibilities like Florence, Dua, haim and Billie. But once again I just feel like I’ve fallen flat on my face. 

Edited by FestivalJamie

1 minute ago, Gerard the Fab said:

I’ve already said what I think about the lack of female artists high in an incredibly uninspired booking. But Dua Lipa could at an almighty push be bought in to sub. That doesn’t excuse the lack of a Billie or Florence at the top but at least a couple of female subs could really help

I think Dua lipa is bigger than disclosure and catfish and the bottlemen, especially after her new album.

Im not even the biggest fan of hers, but given how well she did at reading last time, im surprised she’s not back.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, 1986 said:

As I said in a previous post, if anything the problem lies with the music industry as a whole rather than specific festivals, and for all we know they could have tried going for a female headliner, but none of the acts they wanted were available to play at the festival next year, be it because they're already booked as exclusives elsewhere or maybe they don't even have any plans to tour. Who knows, really? It's hard to say that Reading and Leeds haven't been making the effort with the gender thing, especially in recent years when they've been giving main stage slots to the likes of Billie Eilish, Mabel, Dua Lipa, Charli XCX, Pvris, et al. Still not 50/50 of course, but I don't think a perfect half and half split between the genders is realistic when you take into account a number of factors.

I could roll off a long list of female and non-white artists I'd love to see at the festival but have zero chance of being booked for 2021. When I see a festival line-up, the ratio between male and female artists is a determining factor for what makes it good for me. The ratio between artists I like, and artists I'm not fussed about is. I'd rather see the Manics or Tool on a festival line-up than Dua Lipa or Billie Eilish. Likewise, I'd also rather see Public Enemy or PJ Harvey than Catfish or Lewis Capaldi.

21 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

Why doesn’t Gary Powell count? Because he’s only a drummer? Haha.

Basically. I should have said black fronted artists.

Edited by VCK

15 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

I think Dua lipa is bigger than disclosure and catfish and the bottlemen, especially after her new album.

Im not even the biggest fan of hers, but given how well she did at reading last time, im surprised she’s not back.

Lewis Capaldi is also bigger than those though, so there is a chance she could still sub. (they seem to be avoiding pop artists like Capaldi as headliners which is fair enough)

14 minutes ago, WhoOdyssey said:

Lewis Capaldi is also bigger than those though, so there is a chance she could still sub. (they seem to be avoiding pop artists like Capaldi as headliners which is fair enough)

I think there’s a difference in vibe between the two, however

Stormzy/Dua Lipa/Mabel

Catfish/Two Door Cinema Club/NBT

Post Malone/Capaldi/Doja Cat

Disclosure/Megan thee Stallion/AJ Tracey

Liam Gallagher/Haim or Wolf Alice/DBE

QOTSA/ Idles/Fontaine’s DC

This makes it look slightly better I think if we get anything along these lines but still not good enough. It also is a prime example of how many good female artists there are

Edited by Gerard the Fab

9 minutes ago, VCK said:

As I said in a previous post, if anything the problem lies with the music industry as a whole rather than specific festivals, and for all we know they could have tried going for a female headliner, but none of the acts they wanted were available to play at the festival next year, be it because they're already booked as exclusives elsewhere or maybe they don't even have any plans to tour. Who knows, really? It's hard to say that Reading and Leeds haven't been making the effort with the gender thing, especially in recent years when they've been giving main stage slots to the likes of Billie Eilish, Mabel, Dua Lipa, Charli XCX, Pvris, et al. Still not 50/50 of course, but I don't think a perfect half and half split between the genders is realistic when you take into account a number of factors.

I could roll off a long list of female and non-white artists I'd love to see at the festival but have zero chance of being booked for 2021. When I see a festival line-up, the ratio between male and female artists is a determining factor for what makes it good for me. The ratio between artists I like, and artists I'm not fussed about is. I'd rather see the Manics or Tool on a festival line-up than Dua Lipa or Billie Eilish. Likewise, I'd also rather see Public Enemy or PJ Harvey than Catfish or Lewis Capaldi.

I agree and said previously that it is the industry as a whole and not just down to one festival but Reading/Leeds is a big part of that industry. Particularly, as everyone jokes about on here, to the very young who use it to introduce themselves to the festival experience. Not wanting to go round in circles either (I should really do some work today ha), but I also said I'd give them the benefit of the doubt in that maybe they did try to get Billie etc but couldn't so went with what they considered the best option. I'd only argue it isn't the best option. Personal taste aside, Catfish were down to headline at least 2 of the cancelled fests this year and are down to make up at least one of them next. Good or not they're a vanilla ass choice and the band is getting opportunity after opportunity that I don't see happening with female acts or fronted bands. Whereas an exciting band like Haim or however many other female acts at that level, could have stepped up instead. It's lazy and uninspired, and definitely not "forward thinking" as Melvin Benn cringingly keeps saying the festival is.

You rattled off a good few examples of main stage female artists there so fair play, definitely give credit to the fest where its due. But if they have that equality in mind, is it even more frustrating that they can't do it at headliner level? National press isn't going to list the minutiae of the whole line up, they're likely going to say "these 6 acts head up Reading festival 2021." and that's what will be noticed.

There will be five bands on each main stage, and they will play on a rotational basis. So band on Main Stage West opens, then band on Main Stage East, then the next band on Main Stage West, all the way up to the Main East headliners (Stormzy, Post and Liam)

There will be no NME, Pit, Dance, Festival Republic or BBC Introducing Stages, but there will be a third stage for smaller acts, and it'll be open air. Think something similar to the Park at Glastonbury.

I believe this is only a temporary measure in regards to the pandemic and 2022 will see the festival resume normal service, as it were.

Expect a second announcement around September. With a few interesting names.

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, IanF said:

There will be five bands on each main stage, and they will play on a rotational basis. So band on Main Stage West opens, then band on Main Stage East, then the next band on Main Stage West, all the way up to the Main East headliners (Stormzy, Post and Liam)

There will be no NME, Pit, Dance, Festival Republic or BBC Introducing Stages, but there will be a third stage for smaller acts, and it'll be open air. Think something similar to the Park at Glastonbury.

I believe this is only a temporary measure in regards to the pandemic and 2022 will see the festival resume normal service, as it were.

So you’re telling me we’ve only 3 stages. Then surely capacity has to be reduced otherwise too many people will be at other stages. When you say interesting names what does that entail and I’m assuming that means 3 headliners 2022

Just now, Gerard the Fab said:

So you’re telling me we’ve only 3 stages. Then surely capacity has to be reduced otherwise too many people will be at other stages. When you say interesting names what does that entail and I’m assuming that means 3 headliners 2022

As far as I know there will only be three stages, yes. Remember that the area for a second main stage will take up a lot of space in the arenas at Leeds and Reading and neither festival has much ground to expand on as it is.

One of the sub headliners is a former headliner. I thought it was interesting for me personally because I'm a huge fan of them and they're not an act that have been suggested much despite a good history with the festival. Another sub headliner is a fairly new act, I'm talking someone who only released their debut about three years ago.

That's a massive downgrade in capacity and number of bands if true.

Fair enough to play it safe, but billy big bollocks Benn was giving it all the hype last week. Saying the year off allowed them to add things not take them away. I guess he's lying again or this isn't true or it's something in between.

11 minutes ago, IanF said:

Can’t believe this to be true 

1 hour ago, FestivalJamie said:

They booked Catfish over Wolf Alice and Chvrches because they are ticket shifters. Had Wolf Alice or Chvrches been ticket shifters then they'd have been considered? 

13 minutes ago, IanF said:

good god it gets worse

5 minutes ago, IanF said:

As far as I know there will only be three stages, yes. Remember that the area for a second main stage will take up a lot of space in the arenas at Leeds and Reading and neither festival has much ground to expand on as it is.

One of the sub headliners is a former headliner. I thought it was interesting for me personally because I'm a huge fan of them and they're not an act that have been suggested much despite a good history with the festival. Another sub headliner is a fairly new act, I'm talking someone who only released their debut about three years ago.

this is very exciting though, sam fender for the new act but honestly i'm unsure for the other act

1 hour ago, 1986 said:

You bring up a perhaps interesting discussion to be had on brand loyalty. The reason people get pissed at line ups is cus their favourite fest that they always go to isn't bringing them the goods but they will still likely get tickets anyway. Whereas you, more sensibly, look at the product and decide if its for you.

I've done both over the years. Fully get why people stick to one thing, if its the same group of mates or you love it there most of the time anyway so want to go, shit line up or not. But I agree with you that you should vote with your wallet and go to something that you think is worth the money. Way too big of a choice of festivals available to lump yourself somewhere with nothing but crap for 5 days.

Its also to do with the time of the year, unless you want to go to creamfields which reading goers are unlikely to, theres no other choice really (victorious i guess but thats pretty far from most people) for festivals at that time of the year. Also location - especially for Reading, its the only camping festival easy to get to from London which is super helpful for people without a designated driver.