2021 Lineup

3 minutes ago, leonaves said:

I imagine they mostly go off "how big a crowd has act x" historically drawn, and then you look at how packed the Other Stage field was a Glasto in 2017, and the big crowd on the Pyramid for him last year and there's no real argument for not having him headline except irrelevant or anecdotal arguments—Liam would draw (and has drawn at other festivals) a headliner sized crowd, therefore he's big enough to be booked as a headliner, it's not much more complicated than that.

Well said

3 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

In the UK.*

Well R&L is taking place in the U.K. so I guess that’s good news for FR.

Also to any younguns unaware of QOTSA and interested in checking them out. They really are a R&L classic and probably one of the best few ‘proper’ rock bands going. Every time I’ve seen them they’ve been smashing. Their 2014 was up there with one of my favourite sets I’ve seen at the festival. A band that really symbolise me being young and loving guitars! I think of them in similar ways to Rage. Always welcome on any lineup.

Edited by Matt42

3 hours ago, Dukey said:

The thing that blags my head is why Melvin lied about only one headliner rebooked from this year 

I reckon now, he may have been rebooting post malone from last festival as headliner, with the other 5 as the 1st time headliners.  Even though 2 of them have co-headlined before. 

3 minutes ago, Tyler_Durden said:

I reckon now, he may have been rebooting post malone from last festival as headliner, with the other 5 as the 1st time headliners.  Even though 2 of them have co-headlined before. 

He’s just a senile old man that is past it. He probably can’t remember who headlined in 2019 so that’s why he thinks it’s an exclusive.

This is nothing new. In 2011 he said that R&L had booked three worldwide exclusive headliners. Of course, this was all rubbish as MCR played a huge tour in the U.K. a few months before, the strokes were also about a lot during the summer, pulp were headlining countless other festivals, and it was Muse’s only EU date on the back of three years of heavy touring.

Melvin talks out of his arse and gets aggressive when he’s called up on it. He knows what to say to get R&L in the papers. 

Edited by Matt42

1 hour ago, Pottsy2913 said:

Quite sad looking at the reaction to this set of headliners compared to when Rage was announced. Actually quite staggering to be honest.

For Queens, definitely give Songs for the Deaf a listen, some great songs on that album. Stand out singles from other albums for me would have to be 'Feel Good Hit Of The Summer', 'Little Sister', 'I Sat By The Ocean', and 'The Way You Used To Do'. Hopefully you enjoy!

QOTSA are only a slight step down from RATM as far as I'm concerned. Always a great booking.

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

Liam Gallagher might be a ‘legend’ but he’s a talentless little-man who’s crowds turn up to hear the same handful of songs they’ve been listening to on repeat for years and years. 

But a bunch of Oasis classics would be perfect for a festival. Can guarantee he'll shift a lot of day tickets.

18 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I swear if I read the “well there are no female headliners to book” argument one more time.

It’s complete bollocks.

The problem is the names being bandied about for which female artist should be headlining are just mainstream top 40 pop singers, as if there isn't any big name female talent outside of what Capital FM plays.

Either way there's probably a few factors to take into account as to why there isn't a female headliner and I would put money on it not being because they're sexist and hate women, despite the amount of people baselessly drawing such a conclusion.

Edited by VCK
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, VCK said:

The problem is the names being bandied about for which female artist should be headlining are just mainstream top 40 pop singers, as if there isn't any big name female talent outside of what Capital FM plays.

Either way there's probably a few factors to take into account as to why there isn't a female headliner and I would put money on it not being because they're sexist and hate women, despite the amount of people baselessly drawing such a conclusion.

But Lewis Capaldi, Stormzy, and Post Malone are top 40 singers. These are the type of acts that R&L book now. It’s hardly stupid to question why they book the male ones and not the female ones.

Only just seen the news of the 2 main stage/ 6 headliners idea and the subsequent announcement and judging by what very limited reaction I've seen this could potentially be the worst reaction to a set of headliners I've seen since I started following the festival. Anybody else feel the same? 

I'm sure it's all been covered a million times since the announcement but Post Malone? Again? Really? Easily the laziest booking since getting Fall Out Boy on a 2 year rotation. I saw Catfish being touted as headliners heavily from 2016-2018 but the force behind that has gradually dwindled so why book them to headline now? Makes no sense. Liam was always coming back sadly so no quarms with that even though everyone knows it's a boring booking. Stormzy is the same but was quite a respectable booking for 2020 despite not being a huge fan. Disclosure are great but shouldn't have that slot, really bizarre booking. Can't complain with QOTSA though they were due back around now which is a solid rotation time. 

Generally though no improvement on what was supposed to be this years starting lineup. QOTSA and retaining fever 333 + Mabel are the only things making me semi happy from that announcement.

5 hours ago, Xeph1995 said:

I've waited 10 or so years to see Rage Against the Machine and now they aren't even playing. Absolutely wounded, never been so sad about a festival announcement tbh.

Could they be bought back if they announce tour dates in 2021 and become subheadliners (seem to love the festival as were apparently according to someone on  here announced later before they disbanded in 2000 and were put lower down the bill but still played)

2 hours ago, VCK said:

Sorry but they haven’t booked a female headliner for 6 years. I highly doubt there hasn’t been anyone “worthy” or available for 6 whole years. And this year, when they finally branch out and increase from 3 to 6 headliners, still no female representation.

Im sorry but reading has turned into a rap/pop festival. Whether people like it on here or not, their main bookings this year are post malone, stormzy, disclosure and aj Tracey. Throw in Doja cat and Mabel and you’ve got your line up. They’re only booking QOTSA to satisfy the old time crew, give it 5 years and the old classic acts will be gone and it will just be rap and pop.

Theres no reason lorde, Billie or Dua haven’t been booked for this year. I’d be surprised if we got evidence that they’ve even considered them. They obviously know the big rapper names are what sells the tickets these days and that’s exactly where the festival is heading. The first female headliner and perhaps the only one we will ever see for a long time is cardi b. Maybe Billie at a push but this year would have been the year to book her and it’s clear that’s just not where they want to spend their money.

As I’ve said before wolf Alice are as big as catfish and could have filled that spot. Florence, lorde, haim, Dua or Billie could have easily taken on a headline spot. Lizzo could have taken on a strong sub spot. We could have got given a strong female undercard with fickle friends, anteros, Becky hill etc.. I’m not saying that there’s not still time to add these but when you are presented with doja cat, a tiktok sensation as you’re strongest piece of female representation for 2020, a year of troubled times when we are fighting for equality rights, I find that concerning, sorry.

Edited by FestivalJamie

And before people start saying that I’m saying I want acts booked on gender rather than talent, I don’t. I want to see a balanced line up. I want diversity in music, gender, race, talent etc etc. 

Sziget manage it year upon year, I don’t see why r&l fail to every year to be honest. And this year just slaps worse because they have 6 headliners and not one is even female representation.

5 hours ago, MIchael_scarn said:

Only just seen the news of the 2 main stage/ 6 headliners idea and the subsequent announcement and judging by what very limited reaction I've seen this could potentially be the worst reaction to a set of headliners I've seen since I started following the festival. Anybody else feel the same? 

I'm sure it's all been covered a million times since the announcement but Post Malone? Again? Really? Easily the laziest booking since getting Fall Out Boy on a 2 year rotation. I saw Catfish being touted as headliners heavily from 2016-2018 but the force behind that has gradually dwindled so why book them to headline now? Makes no sense. Liam was always coming back sadly so no quarms with that even though everyone knows it's a boring booking. Stormzy is the same but was quite a respectable booking for 2020 despite not being a huge fan. Disclosure are great but shouldn't have that slot, really bizarre booking. Can't complain with QOTSA though they were due back around now which is a solid rotation time. 

Generally though no improvement on what was supposed to be this years starting lineup. QOTSA and retaining fever 333 + Mabel are the only things making me semi happy from that announcement.

I’ve can’t ever remember a good reaction to a reading and Leeds line up announcement. A lot of people expect it to be perfectly tailored to their taste, which it never will be. I do always enjoy checking out twitter and efests as people hate it to start, and then seem to grow to quite like it as the festival gets closer.

I’ve never understood it really, just wait till all festival line ups are out and go to the one that’s best suited to you. I’ve been to Reading twice (2014 and 2017) and they were both when the line up suited me, in between ive gone elsewhere.

5 hours ago, FestivalJamie said:

Sorry but they haven’t booked a female headliner for 6 years. I highly doubt there hasn’t been anyone “worthy” or available for 6 whole years. And this year, when they finally branch out and increase from 3 to 6 headliners, still no female representation.

Im sorry but reading has turned into a rap/pop festival. Whether people like it on here or not, their main bookings this year are post malone, stormzy, disclosure and aj Tracey. Throw in Doja cat and Mabel and you’ve got your line up. They’re only booking QOTSA to satisfy the old time crew, give it 5 years and the old classic acts will be gone and it will just be rap and pop.

Theres no reason lorde, Billie or Dua haven’t been booked for this year. I’d be surprised if we got evidence that they’ve even considered them. They obviously know the big rapper names are what sells the tickets these days and that’s exactly where the festival is heading. The first female headliner and perhaps the only one we will ever see for a long time is cardi b. Maybe Billie at a push but this year would have been the year to book her and it’s clear that’s just not where they want to spend their money.

As I’ve said before wolf Alice are as big as catfish and could have filled that spot. Florence, lorde, haim, Dua or Billie could have easily taken on a headline spot. Lizzo could have taken on a strong sub spot. We could have got given a strong female undercard with fickle friends, anteros, Becky hill etc.. I’m not saying that there’s not still time to add these but when you are presented with doja cat, a tiktok sensation as you’re strongest piece of female representation for 2020, a year of troubled times when we are fighting for equality rights, I find that concerning, sorry.

Don’t want to get into the female headliner argument as it’s one that’s gone round and round on here many times but I personally believe that they would have booked Billie Eilish if they had the chance (you are right when you say that you are unlikely to see evidence of this though, what on Earth makes you think that you were ever likely to see evidence of failed attempts at bookings)

8 hours ago, Matt42 said:

But Lewis Capaldi, Stormzy, and Post Malone are top 40 singers. These are the type of acts that R&L book now. It’s hardly stupid to question why they book the male ones and not the female ones.

Stormzy and Post Malone are both rap, a genre which R&L have always gone for.

My point is that when it comes to female artists, the festival can do a lot better than the names being touted.