2021 Lineup

Just now, Gilgamesh69 said:

It seems they still have Idles as an exclusive, according to people at Bearded Theory.

Reckon they could possibly make the jump to headliner? With 6 I doubt they're all going to be huge, and they have proved that they can shift  tickets with shows sold out on the first day.

Nah, I think they could most certainly sub though. 

Just now, Gilgamesh69 said:

It seems they still have Idles as an exclusive, according to people at Bearded Theory.

Reckon they could possibly make the jump to headliner? With 6 I doubt they're all going to be huge, and they have proved that they can shift  tickets with shows sold out on the first day.

I doubt they’re gonna be an exclusive again (not looked at the Bearded Theory thread so not sure what the info is there) and there’s no way they’ll headline. Sub at best what with this new 6 headliner thing, but not headline. 

6 minutes ago, stanh said:

I have genuinely not really got a clue, I mean I don't think he is completely out the picture, but I think he would be unlikely. I don't really think Fatboy is big enough to headline, and if he did, I doubt his crowd would be very big, especially as it is a 'main stage'... Then with Chems I don't really think the festival is their scene, and they are more suited to the likes of Boomtown, Boardmasters... I would like to see a dance headliner though, but if not, there is always the dance stage (which hopefully will return... I don't see why not).

Calvin Harris would be an insane booking but I agree with that about fatboy or chems I’d personally love to see them but maybe not realistic, Just got me thinking how much I’d just love to see one 90s dance act on it to be honest, faithless, daft punk, underworld any of them anywhere on lineup I’d be happy with 

I think some of you need to temper your expectations. Don’t fall into the annual trap of predicting sky high lineups and setting yourself up for disappointment.

In previous years if they couldn’t get three outright headliners they’d book coheadliners.

If they are pushing 6 headliners it’s probably because they couldn’t source 3 headliners big enough to headline outright.

If you’re making predictions where three headliners could easily headline outright you’re probably off the mark.

I say this with love but temper your expectations.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, VCK said:

Quite a few big names have been left out of this BBC coverage. Paramore, The Strokes, Arcade Fire, Pulp, The Cure, Green Day, Metallica.

Have Kasabian been left out for obvious reasons?

I think they might have just had a lot to fit in, plus a lot of the bands you’ve mentioned are headliners from ‘older’ years in comparison to what they’re showing on the BBC footage.

They only really seem to be showing headliners from the past 4/5 years.

The Kasabian thing I think you’re right about though

24 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I doubt they’re gonna be an exclusive again (not looked at the Bearded Theory thread so not sure what the info is there) and there’s no way they’ll headline. Sub at best what with this new 6 headliner thing, but not headline. 

It's not from the Bearded Theory thread, it's from Facebook. Someone asked about Idles playing and one of the organisers said it would be good but next year they're tied up as an exclusive elsewhere.

It just seems like Idles continue to grow so being the first major fest to have them headline would be a bold move

Greta Van Fleet and the War on Drugs will both have new albums come 2021 festival season, wonder if they will fit in anywhere? I think Greta would be the more likelier of the two, but still can't see it.  

I'd imagine both would play 3rd down if they were there?

Edited by KJP98

A couple of things as I catch up on my break at work

1.) I sort of agree with @Matt42 but I think the move to 6 rather than due to the fact they can’t get 3 big headliners is more to be able to get slighter bigger artists than what usually headline R1 while also allowing a few more atendees and probably selling more tickets

2.) I don’t think I’ve seen the xx mentioned, are they about/ a shout

3.) My dad said he saw an interview where Stormzy said he was definitely back this year. idk the truth behind it but I thought I’d mention it, obviously LG confirmed himself but unlike last time Reading haven’t said anything on the matter. Could he be waffling, or is the slightest opportunity he’s been bumped down idk but yh

17 minutes ago, KJP98 said:

Greta Van Fleet and the War on Drugs will both have new albums come 2021 festival season, wonder if they will fit in anywhere? I think Greta would be the more likelier of the two, but still can't see it.  

I'd imagine both would play 3rd down if they were there?

GVF wouldn’t play that high. That boring dad rock has its place at Download, no need to bleed over into R&L. 

2 minutes ago, Gerard the Fab said:

3.) My dad said he saw an interview where Stormzy said he was definitely back this year. idk the truth behind it but I thought I’d mention it, obviously LG confirmed himself but unlike last time Reading haven’t said anything on the matter. Could he be waffling, or is the slightest opportunity he’s been bumped down idk but yh

It does seem weird to me they'd drop Stormzy, especially with his arena tour being re-arranged to next year, perhaps Melvin forgot he had him booked.. 

I highly doubt they'd have bumped Liam down, I guess we will find out Monday.

5 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

GVF wouldn’t play that high. That boring dad rock has its place at Download, no need to bleed over into R&L. 

I don't get the hate for them, perhaps I just like my boring dad rock haha

They seem to be that high on non European bills, but that's perhaps another reason why they won't be booked, cannot imagine they'd come cheap to do a lower down slot. 

Edited by KJP98

3 minutes ago, KJP98 said:

It does seem weird to me they'd drop Stormzy, especially with his arena tour being re-arranged to next year, perhaps Melvin forgot he had him booked.. 

I highly doubt they'd have bumped Liam down, I guess we will find out Monday.

I think it’s weird as well, if anything drop

LG(ik ik he sells well) but hes toured his album already I think. 
If Stormzy does come back it opens whole new possibilities 

43 minutes ago, Rock_Cycle said:

Here’s one I made, based on the news from Melvin and the idea of having 2 different themed mainstages 

888F406F-78AE-478D-A414-23418852CE27.jpeg

Chase and Status normal set in the Dance Stage = casualties, of which I could quite possibly be one

10 minutes ago, KJP98 said:

I don't get the hate for them, perhaps I just like my boring dad rock haha

They seem to be that high on non European bills, but that's perhaps another reason why they won't be booked, cannot imagine they'd come cheap to do a lower down slot. 

I don’t hate them by any means, they’re just completely unoriginal and ripping off something that is already pretty boring. He is a phenomenal singer for sure but it’s just really dull to me. 

I think they’d probably be booked to headline the Pit or mid Main Stage. 

14 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I don’t hate them by any means, they’re just completely unoriginal and ripping off something that is already pretty boring. He is a phenomenal singer for sure but it’s just really dull to me. 

I think they’d probably be booked to headline the Pit or mid Main Stage. 

FWIW they have a lead single for the second album out in a few weeks, and the head of their label has suggested it's quite a different direction for them.

Edited by WhoOdyssey