2021 Lineup

13 minutes ago, Jericode said:

I'd love Panic, but I'd rather he came back in 2022 with a new album.

I second this, it would be roughly the same set list as 2018, ik that this is optimistic but Bring Me as a less expensive Rage replacement and AM for LG?

21 minutes ago, CharlieDaRapper said:

Why is everyone set on BMTH being the other headliner? There are so many other acts that could fill that slot.

Such as Gorillaz, Haim, Tame Impala, The Weeknd and The Strokes. So let's discuss these options.

None of them fit the bill as a larger rock act, and the amount of conversations we’ve had about Gorillax never doing it, and Tame Impala and Haim not being big enough 

39 minutes ago, CharlieDaRapper said:

Why is everyone set on BMTH being the other headliner? There are so many other acts that could fill that slot.

Such as Gorillaz, Haim, Tame Impala, The Weeknd and The Strokes. So let's discuss these options.

OK and for full context I say this as a 40+ male, who's lived in the aUS for the past 5 years.

Gorillaz - Not a huge fan but would be interested in seeing them, not sure they'd be interested in playing over other options, I think they would definitely be a draw though.

Haim - Don't mind them but, from my perspective, they can in no way aheadline Reading. Perhaps theyre much bigger in the UK than I can ever envisage, Im pretty sure they wont be a big enough draw for the 'Neutral'

Tame Impala - Again a little too niche to headline a mass, commercial festival. They will not shift tickets (as is confirmed even at London based more niche festivals), they wont attract the kids and there's not enough beard strokers about to fill that field

The Weekend - OUt of my comfort zone, too old to get into them obv, but it just seems like bland pop to me, nothing slightly special but I don't know near enough about them to assert that opinion

The Strokes - Again coming from a 40 year, I would much rather see them as much as Stormzy (just about), miles more than Liam Gallagher and miles more than BMTH. Think they're perhaps just about big enough but imagine the other 3 would sell better to the target demographic

Edited by Benj

3 hours ago, Benj said:

The Weekend - OUt of my comfort zone, too old to get into them obv, but it just seems like bland pop to me, nothing slightly special but I don't know near enough about them to assert that opinion

The Weeknd would be a massive pull tbh, but I don’t think they’d go for Stormzy AND him unless they have a weaker alternative to Rage and put the Weeknd as a co

3 hours ago, CharlieDaRapper said:

Yes ma man!

Now someone's talking, let's get The Weeknd in.

It would be an inspired booking and something that would make me instantly buy a day ticket.

Can't see it though with Stormzy being one of the other headliners. 

Biffy seemed an easy replacement for Download and FR booked LG for Latitude and RandL. I can see them struggling to replace Rage and Biffy is an easy booking. They subbed Glastonbury, headlined TRNSMT and Download in 2017. I can see them touring 2021 in the UK, headlining Download and RandL as I bet they are one of the biggest rock acts they can get considering the limited acts touring next year. I feel FR arent that keen on bumping BMTH up as much as we want it.

Stormzy // Liam // Biffy 

3 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Biffy seemed an easy replacement for Download and FR booked LG for Latitude and RandL. I can see them struggling to replace Rage and Biffy is an easy booking. They subbed Glastonbury, headlined TRNSMT and Download in 2017. I can see them touring 2021 in the UK, headlining Download and RandL as I bet they are one of the biggest rock acts they can get considering the limited acts touring next year. I feel FR arent that keen on bumping BMTH up as much as we want it.

Stormzy // Liam // Biffy 

There's no chance that will happen. Things aren't that bad.

There are plenty of sufficiently 'rock' headliners that they could tempt over with the other festivals that Rage has bolted from. Failing that, they would most likely either just book an indie headliner (maybe a good move as Rage didn't seem to be a roundly pleasing choice anyway) or even just book another rapper. All better options than stretching a weak headliner across two massive festivals where they couldn't get a slot this year.

50 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

There's no chance that will happen. Things aren't that bad.

There are plenty of sufficiently 'rock' headliners that they could tempt over with the other festivals that Rage has bolted from. Failing that, they would most likely either just book an indie headliner (maybe a good move as Rage didn't seem to be a roundly pleasing choice anyway) or even just book another rapper. All better options than stretching a weak headliner across two massive festivals where they couldn't get a slot this year.

I agree I think if they’re struggling we could see a double rap headliner

Stormzy/LG/Travis Scott??

1 hour ago, Gerard the Fab said:

I agree I think if they’re struggling we could see a double rap headliner

Stormzy/LG/Travis Scott??

If we’re doing a double “rap” headliner then get The Weeknd in.

Not strictly “rap” but, like Travis Scott admittedly, he’s one of the biggest artists in the world with huge streams worldwide and he’s touring.

9 hours ago, Gerard the Fab said:

None of them fit the bill as a larger rock act, and the amount of conversations we’ve had about Gorillax never doing it, and Tame Impala and Haim not being big enough 

how are the strokes not a larger rock act?

i reckon RHCP must be in with a shout

2 minutes ago, gfa said:

how are the strokes not a larger rock act?

i reckon RHCP must be in with a shout

I’d consider the Strokes as an indie act, Chilis are definitely more rock than the Strokes

I can only see British acts possibly being at R&L or other UK festivals next year tbh as it seems USA and some other countries are 10x worse than us atm, that’s even if festival season goes ahead next year as people are saying 2022 is more realistic to go ahead. I would say 2021 has a chance as the government is on stage 4 out of 5 for allowing live performances and that, so hope and will being looking forward to next year. What do you guys think is it likely for festival season to happen next year and will indoor gigs happen next year too ? 

11 minutes ago, Festivalboi36 said:

I can only see British acts possibly being at R&L or other UK festivals next year tbh as it seems USA and some other countries are 10x worse than us atm, that’s even if festival season goes ahead next year as people are saying 2022 is more realistic to go ahead. I would say 2021 has a chance as the government is on stage 4 out of 5 for allowing live performances and that, so hope and will being looking forward to next year. What do you guys think is it likely for festival season to happen next year and will indoor gigs happen next year too ? 

A lot of Download acts aren’t from the U.K...

1 minute ago, Rotinajer said:

A lot of Download acts aren’t from the U.K...

Oh really didn’t realise mate, I don’t follow download or and of that stuff tbh, but with things getting worse in USA etc it could be difficult for foreign acts to make it for all these festivals and gigs if restrictions are still in place next year ??

As it stands I don’t think we’ll be getting any major festivals next year tbh. Pains me to say that but I just don’t think it’s that realistic. Hope I’m wrong though. I guess R&L has more chance of happening that than stuff like Download and Glasto which are really under threat but still, atm I’m leaning more towards fests not happening. Again, really really hope I’m wrong I dunno if i can cope with another year of no festivals.