2021 Lineup

29 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Releasing a bunch of EP's instead of one properly marketed album has never been a commercially fruitful venture. By the fourth release, the casual audience would no longer be paying attention.

Unless all the songs slap as much as Parasite Eve

The new song and Ludens are great tracks, as is about 70% of Amo.

The last EP isn’t great though and all these facts point to a patchy set of 40 tracks on the 4 EPs.

Is there anyone in their record label that isn’t a yes man who can apply some sort of quality filter for what they are putting out?
Even someone who coughs *less is more* when they pass them in the corridor would be a start.

New BMTH is ‘aight but it and the announcement of a bunch of EPs definitely isn’t the stepping stone to them headlining major festivals. Instead of going all in with an album that they can focus promoting they’re diluting themselves and people will just lose interest in this whole campaign before it’s over. Hopefully Download will finally give them the nudge, but I can’t see even a co-headlining situation happening at R/L.

Parasite Eve is alright. The second half bangs but overall it just sounds so disjointed and not in a good way. I cannot take Sykes seriously when he is trying to sound all emotive in the more spoken word parts. It sounds like a Year 10’s Drama monologue.  

Hearing Parasite Eve just highlights how far ahead of every other band Code Orange are when it comes to making something disjointed and borderline uncomfortable sound incredible like they have done on Underneath this year. BMTH seem to have all the ideas but not much of an idea how to make them all work together. 

The 4 EPs thing is a cool idea but is it going to be a Green Day Uno, Dos & Tre situation where there is just about, just about, enough half decent material that would make one fairly decent release as opposed to several releases that are all peppered with a lot of shit? I think a lot of bands would have quite a few duff tracks if they were releasing up to 40 tracks in one year. I don’t think they have the capabilities to make all 4 EPs solid. 

Saying that, I will always applaud BMTH for experimenting and stretching themselves and added new strings to their bow and I do like the idea of each EP being more focused into a certain mood or genre but if this track is anything to go by, it could be pretty messy. 

Edited by Andre91
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Parasite Eve is alright. The second half bangs but overall it just sounds so disjointed and not in a good way. I cannot take Sykes seriously when he is trying to sound all emotive in the more spoken word parts. It sounds like a Year 10’s Drama monologue.  

I hate that the talk-singing thing has just become the norm for BMTH now to cover up for Oli's obvious lack of singing ability. It was pretty annoying when they started implementing it constantly throughout TTS but now we're two projects later and it hasn't developed at all, and just puts their often cringe inducing lyrics to the forefront more than they should.

A couple of other thoughts: The kind of riffing in Parasite Eve, Don Broco do those riffs so much better. 

However, BMTH are clearly way better at the heavier elements of their sound than the pop. It’s good to hear them being a rock band again because there is definitely an audience for that, whereas I don’t think there is much of an audience for the super poppy material from the last album like Mother Tongue. Who that just listens to chart music and chart pop is going to want to listen to ‘an old screamo band’ doing pop music when they’ve got artists like Dua Lipa in the charts who makes genuine pop bangers? BMTH have got way more of an audience for the material such as Ludens and this song, particularly at Download. The Doghouse goes nuts when DJs drop BMTH over the course of the weekend. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

A couple of other thoughts: The kind of riffing in Parasite Eve, Don Broco do those riffs so much better. 

However, BMTH are clearly way better at the heavier elements of their sound than the pop. It’s good to hear them being a rock band again because there is definitely an audience for that, whereas I don’t think there is much of an audience for the super poppy material from the last album like Mother Tongue. Who that just listens to chart music and chart pop is going to want to listen to ‘an old screamo band’ doing pop music when they’ve got artists like Dua Lipa in the charts who makes genuine pop bangers? BMTH have got way more of an audience for the material such as Ludens and this song, particularly at Download. The Doghouse goes nuts when DJs drop BMTH over the course of the weekend. 

Got a bit of a soft spot for Mother Tongue tbh as it's actually a pretty decent pop song, but you're spot on about it really muddling their audience, and was a pretty obvious grab at some kind of chart success. Think they can pull off a song like that every once in a while, but their audience is firmly in the heavier bracket. The four EP deal makes me think they're still stuck in a bit of an identity crisis of not knowing which direction to stick with rather than them overflowing with ideas.

As much as I love Bring Me and always have done I can’t help but to agree with you. The spoken word at the start is really cringey 😂 but after that it does get better. I personally don’t like Code Orange because idk I think that’s on the wrong side of heavy for me, but ik exactly where you’re coming from when you say about the disjointed nature.

I am excited for the 4 EPs because if they all sound slightly different then it could be a case of 4 out of 6 on each one are class the other two are meh, but I really don’t know.
As many people have said they need to decide what band they are. I definitely don’t think they’re a death core Count Your Blessings BMTH anymore because they have Jordan and that’s why they play less and less of their old material now, I just think they need to make a decision as to whether to go down the Pop Rock route or the more heavy Ludens/ Parasite Eve route, but with more Oli shouting than singing. I just think the longer it takes for them to nail an identity the longer it is before they find a devoted fan base and get the nod to headline major festivals (I think they’re still co headline size)

I could talk about them for ages as you can tell but I’ll end by saying if they went back to Sempiternal era sound I think that’d make many people happier than the current state 

• Like 1

They were only a deathcore band for one album and turned their back on that pretty quickly. Suicide Season still had elements of it but it’s far from a deathcore album.

There Is A Hell... is my favourite album by them and that was such an influential record. The way they had a bigger focus on electronics on that album was pretty groundbreaking at the time.

Sempiternal is definitely the album that has the BMTH sound imo. That album was so perfect for 2013 and was exactly what an exciting, modern metal band should have sounded like at that time. It was perfect. I really wish they had stuck to that sound a little longer, not forever, but longer than they did because That’s The Spirit for me is comfortably their worst album. It lives in one place far too much and is just really bland. Whilst it made them massive and gained them a hell of a lot of fans, it was the album that a lot of people fully checked out on BMTH. They’ve always had detractors throughout their career but TTS is the point where there seemed to be more of it from within their already existing, pre-TTS fan base. 

I think amo is where the identify crisis fully kicked in and it’s definitely continuing with the news of these 4 EPs. Like I said, it’s nice to hear them being a heavier rock band again but the more they try and squeeze in loads of different elements into their songs, the less fluid the songs get.

17 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Sempiternal is definitely the album that has the BMTH sound imo. That album was so perfect for 2013 and was exactly what an exciting, modern metal band should have sounded like at that time. It was perfect. I really wish they had stuck to that sound a little longer, not forever, but longer than they did because That’s The Spirit for me is comfortably their worst album. It lives in one place far too much and is just really bland. Whilst it made them massive and gained them a hell of a lot of fans, it was the album that a lot of people fully checked out on BMTH. They’ve always had detractors throughout their career but TTS is the point where there seemed to be more of it from within their already existing, pre-TTS fan base. 

I think amo is where the identify crisis fully kicked in and it’s definitely continuing with the news of these 4 EPs. Like I said, it’s nice to hear them being a heavier rock band again but the more they try and squeeze in loads of different elements into their songs, the less fluid the songs get.

Yes I agree Sempiternal is how I imagine them sounding, TTS I like but I can see why many people really don’t, same with amo but at least on their the record is quite diverse and doesn’t all sound the same

7 minutes ago, Gerard the Fab said:

Has anyone been watching some of the Glasto stuff, if so what’s been the best

That Foals secret set last year was class, as were Arcade Fire, Glass Animals and the Oasis 94 one

I'm currently watching the lewis capaldi set 

2 hours ago, Gerard the Fab said:

That Foals secret set last year was class, as were Arcade Fire, Glass Animals and the Oasis 94 one

While working from home today I've watched Pale Waves, Metallica, Janelle Monae, Run The Jewels, Sigrid and Lewis Capaldi and all have ''slapped'' as you people on here seem to say these days.

I'd say Janelle Monae has put on the best show so far.

Think I'll be doing one of those Zoom party things with my festival crew tomoz and all watch the Foo Fighters set as it's probably the one we'd all watch together as we have very different tastes. I can't decide if that makes Foos good or bland 😄

3 minutes ago, metallimuse said:

While working from home today I've watched Pale Waves, Metallica, Janelle Monae, Run The Jewels, Sigrid and Lewis Capaldi and all have ''slapped'' as you people on here seem to say these days.

I'd say Janelle Monae has put on the best show so far.

Think I'll be doing one of those Zoom party things with my festival crew tomoz and all watch the Foo Fighters set as it's probably the one we'd all watch together as we have very different tastes. I can't decide if that makes Foos good or bland 😄

It makes Foos the best, and your use of ‘slapped’ has made me chuckle

4 hours ago, Gerard the Fab said:

watched oasis, glass animals, bit of wombats and george ezra. glass animals are my favourite band joined with strokes but i thought it was kinda weak compared to their smaller venue shows they did recently

7 minutes ago, metallimuse said:

I’m kidding. That’s a lovely gesture and nice to see the community spirit on here still exists ☺️

C519EF6B-C11C-4377-95E1-9CA6CB25DA08.gif

I know how shit it can be when you want to go to a gig and none of your mates like the band or wanna go. If someone ever doesn't have people to go with, I never mind people coming along with me, that mindset started at Glasto when me and my mate turned up and we talked to this group who took us under their wing and showed us the ropes at Glastonbury. World would be better if we all got on and besides, if it makes a gig better for you then brilliant. 

• Upvote 6

8 hours ago, Andre91 said:

They were only a deathcore band for one album and turned their back on that pretty quickly. Suicide Season still had elements of it but it’s far from a deathcore album.

There Is A Hell... is my favourite album by them and that was such an influential record. The way they had a bigger focus on electronics on that album was pretty groundbreaking at the time.

These are all very interesting and great points you've made about BMTH, being biased myself on the high of how much I love P.E. it's nice to have a proper objective point of view as well :)

Interestingly, whilst I agree they had a bit of an identity crisis with amo, I think they've kinda rediscovered it with Ludens and P.E. Being asked to make a song so fast for Death Stranding must've influenced them a lot as I get a huge video-game vibe from P.E. (probably mostly thanks to Mick Gordon) and I really like this weirder take on a heavier style. I really feel it's more than just EDM with breakdowns, when I think of BMTH I used to think of Sempiternal but now it really is this new weird, edgy, almost creepy style.

It's really had a massive influence on songwriting with my band too - we're almost tryna take BMTH's recent 'formula' and apply it to more indie-rock stuff, somehow Ludens and P.E. have both managed to be HUGE singles on their own with these catchy choruses, massive electronic sections and heavy bits. Working in these heavier, sempiternal style breakdowns alongside quite basic melodies and major chord progressions is something that's really hard to crack. It's bloody hard to make so much contrasting stuff work together but I personally feel they're doing that incredibly well - I really hope this direction continues for a good portion of the new music we get this year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

I know how shit it can be when you want to go to a gig and none of your mates like the band or wanna go. If someone ever doesn't have people to go with, I never mind people coming along with me, that mindset started at Glasto when me and my mate turned up and we talked to this group who took us under their wing and showed us the ropes at Glastonbury. World would be better if we all got on and besides, if it makes a gig better for you then brilliant. 

I actually met one of my best pals through this site.

Moved to London from Scotland many moons ago and ended up camping with a bunch of solo efesters at Reading festival years ago and one lasting friendship was formed lol.

Edited by metallimuse
  • Like 1