2021 Lineup

5 hours ago, Gerard the Fab said:

i cant see Dua Lipa subbing, let alone the weakest of the three headliners

This is the point. She subs to boost the day like you were so close to getting the point but didn't

--

not saying biffy are bad but i think they are kind of old news. would be people outside of this forum in the reading age bracket be interested really in them compared to acts that just broke through? they certainly can't do the foos/ratm/kol/muse older sunday slot yet. i guess what i'm saying is theres not much reason to book them over say kasabian who are older yes, but they fit the demographic a lot more and are probably a bit more well known.

1 hour ago, gfa said:

not saying biffy are bad but i think they are kind of old news. would be people outside of this forum in the reading age bracket be interested really in them compared to acts that just broke through? they certainly can't do the foos/ratm/kol/muse older sunday slot yet. i guess what i'm saying is theres not much reason to book them over say kasabian who are older yes, but they fit the demographic a lot more and are probably a bit more well known.

Why did you stop at listing the last four Sunday headliners? Why not five?

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Gerard the Fab said:

Is Glastonbury not quite close to the Reading demographic of school leavers.

Not when I’ve been.

Glastonbury is full of all ages and a much more mature audience. 

It’s also more of a middle class festival compared to Reading and Leeds.

A huge difference in its target audience.

25 minutes ago, metallimuse said:

Not when I’ve been.

Glastonbury is full of all ages and a much more mature audience. 

It’s also more of a middle class festival compared to Reading and Leeds.

A huge difference in its target audience.

What the hell does middle class festival mean

If there's no Rage next year then how about Royal Blood instead? Whenever their next album is out, if it tops the charts that'll be their third consecutive number one album in a row, so without a doubt that'd make them headline-sized. Plus if they keep The Courteeners they'd complement each other somewhat better than Rage as they're both British rock bands who reached their prime in the '10s and have some kind of crossover appeal with each other.

• Upvote 3

Can't see Royal Blood doing it when they seem to still be doing all their smaller festival slots. Big exclusive on a new album in 2022 though, that I could see.

A lot of people thinking Biffy for Download after the length of coverage they were given at the DownloadTV thing, so not sure on them either.

If they don't get Rage I can honestly see them just bumping up Courteeners, which would be awful.

1 hour ago, Nick Aldous said:

Biffy for the third time since 2021 would be an absolute joke. Arctic Monkeys return would be welcome but they’ll probably go with Glastonbury

Biffy three times in the same year sign me the fuck up

Edited by Aech

35 minutes ago, Jericode said:

Can't see Royal Blood doing it when they seem to still be doing all their smaller festival slots. Big exclusive on a new album in 2022 though, that I could see.

A lot of people thinking Biffy for Download after the length of coverage they were given at the DownloadTV thing, so not sure on them either.

If they don't get Rage I can honestly see them just bumping up Courteeners, which would be awful.

They were heavily, heavily rumoured to play above Liam Gallagher and below The Strokes this year at Rock Werchter, I could see them co-heading at the very least. 

46 minutes ago, Jericode said:

I just really can't see FR bumping Courteeners up for one main reason - they had them subbing Kings of Leon at their Finsbury Park show for 28/6/2020. The likes of The Kooks, TDCC have played larger slots than Courteeners at Finsbury in recent years.

No way will FR book an act as a co-headliner who they see as worthy of subbing in a Finsbury Park show, yes they're much bigger up North but that's precisely why they're headlining TRNSMT and were due to sub R+L.

I am 100% confident if Courteeners are rebooked, it will be as a sub and nothing else - they've just released an album so their stock isnt going to change much between now and 2021.

Biffy at Download on the other hand?! Sign me up, can see it being Biffy, System & either Maiden/Kiss, think I saw System officially confirm they'll be playing some Euro festivals in June 2021.

I agree that 2022 and beyond is probably more likely for a Royal Blood headline, it absolutely has to happen at some point though. They are only getting bigger and have a huge younger appeal.

Edited by R Shah

9 hours ago, R Shah said:

I just really can't see FR bumping Courteeners up for one main reason - they had them subbing Kings of Leon at their Finsbury Park show for 28/6/2020. The likes of The Kooks, TDCC have played larger slots than Courteeners at Finsbury in recent years.

No way will FR book an act as a co-headliner who they see as worthy of subbing in a Finsbury Park show, yes they're much bigger up North but that's precisely why they're headlining TRNSMT and were due to sub R+L.

I am 100% confident if Courteeners are rebooked, it will be as a sub and nothing else - they've just released an album so their stock isnt going to change much between now and 2021.

Biffy at Download on the other hand?! Sign me up, can see it being Biffy, System & either Maiden/Kiss, think I saw System officially confirm they'll be playing some Euro festivals in June 2021.

I agree that 2022 and beyond is probably more likely for a Royal Blood headline, it absolutely has to happen at some point though. They are only getting bigger and have a huge younger appeal.

I think Royal Blood hamper their chances by subbing Reading and then accepting a Victorious headline slot. I know it's grown bigger as a festival but it feels smaller than maybe it is.

14 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I think Royal Blood hamper their chances by subbing Reading and then accepting a Victorious headline slot. I know it's grown bigger as a festival but it feels smaller than maybe it is.

Whilst I see this argument, subbing R&L before a third album is out and then - theoretically, we can't know for certain now - headlining a load of smaller ones (they were down for This is Tomorrow and Y Not as well) makes sense. It makes it a huge get for the smaller fests if the album does well, and R&L can still have them as a headliner down the line with their headliner credentials established and more new music. 2022 will be three years since the sub slot, admittedly only two festivals, but I'd say that's a fair amount of time to return and step up. It's not as bad as FOB returning from co-headliner to headline in two years.

7 hours ago, stanh said:

i personally disagree with that, caught a bit of their set last year and from what i saw i really enjoyed - and have been to their own gigs too which i have loved. imo they are great live, but i guess it depends on personal preference 

Last year they were class and when I saw them at Rivermead they were exceptional. 
I still think with no Rage Foals would be an ideal replacement, co headline or not they definitely would be brilliant Foals and the Strokes would be class

Edited by Gerard the Fab

11 hours ago, stanh said:

i personally disagree with that, caught a bit of their set last year and from what i saw i really enjoyed - and have been to their own gigs too which i have loved. imo they are great live, but i guess it depends on personal preference 

3 hours ago, Gerard the Fab said:

Last year they were class and when I saw them at Rivermead they were exceptional. 
I still think with no Rage Foals would be an ideal replacement, co headline or not they definitely would be brilliant Foals and the Strokes would be class

Dont know why I was downvoted for sharing an opinion but alright. I saw them at Manchester Arena in 2017 and I was bored and at Leeds, same again. It might be different at a smaller venue but thats how I feel regarding Royal Blood. There music is very good but personally MYSELF didnt enjoy them much live.