2021 Lineup

2 minutes ago, Gerard the Fab said:

I think it is, Chemical Brothers have been around since the 90s so are obviously a choice for other stage headliner. BMTH have worked their way up the Reading bill and are big enough to headline, they subbed in 2015 and from videos it looked pretty packed

I also don't see where the bmth crowd size thing comes from. I went all three days on their weekend and although the Mumford crowd was substantially bigger, Bon Iver's was a lot smaller.

It obviously didn't sell outstandingly but i think efests also overestimates how small the crowd was.

54 minutes ago, theesundayroast said:

I also don't see where the bmth crowd size thing comes from. I went all three days on their weekend and although the Mumford crowd was substantially bigger, Bon Iver's was a lot smaller.

It obviously didn't sell outstandingly but i think efests also overestimates how small the crowd was.

I agree - to me the crowd seemed busy. Appreciate a lot were free tickets or whatever but still, was jammed around the front half of the field. 

Bring Me are a big band with some big songs, lots are comfortably over the 50,000 mark on Spotify, they’ve climbed the festival and the next step is headline

Also what are people thoughts on the new Vistas album 

10 minutes ago, Gerard the Fab said:

AOTY: they suggested on the stream the other day that they were booked to play this year, hope they come back next year.

Edited by TKOCF

59 minutes ago, TKOCF said:

AOTY: they suggested on the stream the other day that they were booked to play this year, hope they come back next year.

AOTY for me too, just pipping Shikari. Best indie album since Broken Machine in 2017 for me. Every song could be a single, it's so perfect!

Just booked 2 Leeds tickets for December, need to find someone at uni to go with haha! 

Vistas are worthy of an early Main Stage slot in 2021 now for sure.

6 minutes ago, R Shah said:

AOTY for me too, just pipping Shikari. Best indie album since Broken Machine in 2017 for me. Every song could be a single, it's so perfect!

Just booked 2 Leeds tickets for December, need to find someone at uni to go with haha! 

Vistas are worthy of an early Main Stage slot in 2021 now for sure.

It’s up there with the best this year, I was looking at the London gig but I don’t wanna book it for it to be cancelled as well. But would love to see them

6 hours ago, Gerard the Fab said:

Class.

7 hours ago, Gerard the Fab said:

I think it is, Chemical Brothers have been around since the 90s so are obviously a choice for other stage headliner. BMTH have worked their way up the Reading bill and are big enough to headline, they subbed in 2015 and from videos it looked pretty packed

Its just crazy how different their stock at glastonbury was vs reading. I think its a risky headliner after APE.

7 hours ago, theesundayroast said:

apparently 12k tickets were sold which is barely 25% capacity. i wouldn't say that bon ivers being smaller is a valid excuse - a reading headliner should be selling more than 12k tickets at a uk festival exclusive slot in my opinion.

Not sure on this but with BMTH - they seem quite marmite, which with reading's already split crowd i don't think that many people would actually be interested in them. They haven't broke through like Fall Out Boy/Panic either who were other smaller headliners. I just can't see them getting more than a 1/3 of the festival watching them honestly. the R1 tent will be packed unless its a tiny booking

2 hours ago, gfa said:

Class.

Its just crazy how different their stock at glastonbury was vs reading. I think its a risky headliner after APE.

apparently 12k tickets were sold which is barely 25% capacity. i wouldn't say that bon ivers being smaller is a valid excuse - a reading headliner should be selling more than 12k tickets at a uk festival exclusive slot in my opinion.

Not sure on this but with BMTH - they seem quite marmite, which with reading's already split crowd i don't think that many people would actually be interested in them. They haven't broke through like Fall Out Boy/Panic either who were other smaller headliners. I just can't see them getting more than a 1/3 of the festival watching them honestly. the R1 tent will be packed unless its a tiny booking

Do agree with this although I think it's important to note that their APE show was only 5 months after a 6 date arena tour. Still doesn't excuse ticket sales although I did think APE were very brave giving them a london date after very recently selling 22k tickets in the same city.

I'm not excusing the fact it was a small crowd at all and do agree with the marmite nature of them. It does just seem strange that the demand on social media and recent album sales would make you imagine they'd be a higher ticket seller.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, theesundayroast said:

Do agree with this although I think it's important to note that their APE show was only 5 months after a 6 date arena tour. Still doesn't excuse ticket sales although I did think APE were very brave giving them a london date after very recently selling 22k tickets in the same city.

I'm not excusing the fact it was a small crowd at all and do agree with the marmite nature of them. It does just seem strange that the demand on social media and recent album sales would make you imagine they'd be a higher ticket seller.

I think you hit the nail on the head with this (i'm probably quite biased as i'm not a fan).

It seems to be their slots at Reading have been overinflated similar to the vaccines sub slot a few years - they just can't keep up the pace which is fair enough I guess. Just because an act subbed last time they played it doesn't mean they have to headline next time I guess is what I am saying

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, gfa said:

I think you hit the nail on the head with this (i'm probably quite biased as i'm not a fan).

It seems to be their slots at Reading have been overinflated similar to the vaccines sub slot a few years - they just can't keep up the pace which is fair enough I guess. Just because an act subbed last time they played it doesn't mean they have to headline next time I guess is what I am saying

Unless they’re good enough to headline, which Bring Me are

15 hours ago, Gerard the Fab said:

Unless they’re good enough to headline, which Bring Me are

However good their live show is, if they aren't big enough they won't be booked. See how chems, idles, whoever else don't get booked? Also if this about musically good acts Post Malone headlined 2 years ago...

1 hour ago, gfa said:

However good their live show is, if they aren't big enough they won't be booked. See how chems, idles, whoever else don't get booked? Also if this about musically good acts Post Malone headlined 2 years ago...

But they are big enough, they’re surely bigger than Foals who could still comfortably co headline at least

And Post Malone is a big act as well as a good act, he’s a completely different genre to Bring Me tho so there’s separate arguments 

10 hours ago, Gerard the Fab said:

But they are big enough, they’re surely bigger than Foals who could still comfortably co headline at least

And Post Malone is a big act as well as a good act, he’s a completely different genre to Bring Me tho so there’s separate arguments 

Foals sold out olympia 3x after doing just about ever medium festival? BMTH sold about 10k tickets at APE after doing 2 ally pally shows - hardly a comparison

Here is the thing with BMTH becoming 'headliners'. People don't give a shit anymore.

For them to headline now it feels really overdue and the hype has expired. I don't know what they've done to convince anyone they deserve the step up. They aren't a huge touring force and it doesn't seem like they are about to release a massive album which propels them back into the mainstream either. 

R&L haven't booked them since 2015 because FR probably don't think they can sell out their own day without some other big ticket act being in the equation. They can sub a band like metallica because metallica will attract people outside of R&L's audience to the festival. It would be great if they subbed someone like Rage, but it feels like they have some sort of standoff relationship with R&L which explains why they ain't getting booked. 

Edited by Matt42
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Here is the thing with BMTH becoming 'headliners'. People don't give a shit anymore.

For them to headline now it feels really overdue and the hype has expired. I don't know what they've done to convince anyone they deserve the step up. They aren't a huge touring force and it doesn't seem like they are about to release a massive album which propels them back into the mainstream either. 

R&L haven't booked them since 2015 because FR probably don't think they can sell out their own day without some other big ticket act being in the equation. They can sub a band like metallica because metallica will attract people outside of R&L's audience to the festival. It would be great if they subbed someone like Rage, but it feels like they have some sort of standoff relationship with R&L which explains why they ain't getting booked. 

I reckon catfish are probably the same re standoff, they just seem to want to headline now

34 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I don't think there is much of a standoff i think this is the first year they could have really booked them since 2015 because playing the same position in 2016 would have been boring and last year they played all points east in london.

5 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Saying they’re barely sub level is a stretch. 

You’re right, it is. Definitely no higher though and I wouldn’t label them a strong sub. I would say they are smaller than at least two of the subs this year and both special guests. But obviously bigger than a typical third down like RTJ.

I just don’t see where people are getting the idea headlining could happen still, though.

42 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

They played a secret set in 2018. But that says to me that not even a good relationship with the festival can give them an in for a headline slot. They don’t even have to sell out their day - that’s not a requirement of a headline band - they just have to be roughly big enough not to absolutely tank the thing.

The thing with them subbing Metallica was that the festival was generous with that booking and the band later proved that they were that level with a big tour and successful album. They didn’t improve on it though, and are no bigger than when TTS came out.

Edited by dentalplan
  • Upvote 1

Late 2016 was BMTH’s peak. TTS was released the year before and late 2016 saw their biggest ever tour. 

I don’t think they helped themselves by going out on an arena tour late 2018 with no new album. I for one certainly didn’t care about going to see them because that time of year is always busy for gigs and they had no new material. 

I think we will have to see what happens with them with a new album and tour, which is difficult because of the situation we find ourselves in with COVID-19. I don’t see any reason why they wouldn’t go for arenas again and hopefully a new album in tow will garner more interest than their 2018 where they had no new material to showcase. 

I stand by that I think they could co-headline on a new album cycle but nothing more but I wouldn’t be surprised if they just didn’t play R&L either. I do, however, think that Download will have them headline some time because they will be in desperate need of headliners at the rate that the dinosaur bands are jacking it in. 

Edited by Andre91

I’m a huge BMtH fan but for me their chances to headline passed after TTS and even that was a stretch. I think they’d be a very strong sub or co-headliner with a bigger act like Travis Scott who could arguably headline outright.

They’d smash a headliner slot and would put on a show but more chance of a one off Slam Dunk style show like ADTR. 

Also, the only UK show they’ve done post AMO is at APE which is odd - seemed to have focussed on America and Asia. 

Edited by Dukey

1 minute ago, Andre91 said:

Late 2016 was BMTH’s peak. TTS was released the year before and late 2016 saw their biggest ever tour. 

I don’t think they helped themselves by going out on an arena tour late 2018 with no new album. I for one certainly didn’t care about going to see them because that time of year is always busy for gigs and they had no new material. 

I think we will have to see what happens with them with a new album and tour, which is difficult because of the situation we find ourselves in with COVID-19. I don’t see any reason why they wouldn’t go for arenas again and hopefully a new album in tow will garner more interest than their 2018 where they had no new material to showcase. 

I stand by that I think they could co-headline on a new album cycle but nothing more and I wouldn’t be surprised if they just didn’t play R&L either. I do, however, think that Download will have them headline some time because they will be in desperate need of headliners at the rate that the dinosaur bands are jacking it in. 

Rate that Dinosaur headline bands are jacking it in?????

Sabbath,Kiss and............?????

19 minutes ago, Ridin' Solo said:

I don't think there is much of a standoff i think this is the first year they could have really booked them since 2015 because playing the same position in 2016 would have been boring and last year they played all points east in london.

And why did they play ape? Probably because no other festival was making the call.

14 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They played a secret set in 2018. But that says to me that not even a good relationship with the festival can give them an in for a headline slot. They don’t even have to sell out their day - that’s not a requirement of a headline band - they just have to be roughly big enough not to absolutely tank the thing.

Just goes to show much of a legendary outing it was. I forgot that even happened.

It’s nothing personal with BMTH. I don’t think they are a bad band and what they’ve experienced isn’t exclusive to them either. I think with music trends of the past 10 years it’s been really hard for ‘new’ bands to get it over the line and become comfortable festival headliners. I think the only new British Band headliners of the 2010’s are Mumford & Sons and The 1975. It has been really hard for a British band to get up to headline and stay there. We’ve had a few who have got up there temporarily and already tumbled down. 

There’s a bigger chance of a new band sweeping in and headlining early in their career than BMTH being given a chance. I genuinely think they will book two rap headliners before turning to BMTH.