2021 Lineup

2 hours ago, Jericode said:

Didnt they already headline doing the album in full? Why bother doing similar as a secret set?

Yeah they did in 2011; I’m not saying a full album set, just a secret one with fan favourites (Bliss, New Born, Micro Cuts, Feeling Good, Plug In Baby) from the record and other early stuff - Absolution/Showbiz eras. 

2 hours ago, Dim Sum said:

Arcade Fire releasing new album soon! Thoughts on them headlining again? Or they past there days I think if there new album has the same reception as Everything now they could be in with a shot!

They don't have the status of Foo Fighters/Muse/RATM and definitely aren't popular with the festival's audience. More likely for BST/APE/Glastonbury I think

3 hours ago, Jericode said:

Didnt they already headline doing the album in full? Why bother doing similar as a secret set?

1% of people who went to that are probably still regular reading goers i bet and like only 10% of the audience if that would go for another round of the same thing. still would be strange though as a choice.

12 hours ago, Dim Sum said:

Arcade Fire releasing new album soon! Thoughts on them headlining again? Or they past there days I think if there new album has the same reception as Everything now they could be in with a shot!

Not sure they fit the festival any more sadly. Tbf - even when they headlined in 2010 the crowd at Leeds was dead - largely because they clashed with Pendulum. We headed off half way through their set to catch Pendulum and could only watch from the outside of the tent. Felt like there was more people trying to get in to see them than watching Arcade Fire at the main stage.

Edited by Dukey

10 hours ago, gfa said:

They don't have the status of Foo Fighters/Muse/RATM and definitely aren't popular with the festival's audience. More likely for BST/APE/Glastonbury I think

If they play All Points East or British Summer Time I will be attending

14 hours ago, Dim Sum said:

Already been said but if you hold out hope for artists like arcade fire to be booked again you’re attending the wrong festival.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BigBoyBridge said:

on twitter a member of the band Loathe said they were meant to be playing this year and that there is always next year so they are highly likely to be announced for the pit in 2021

Excellent news. Their album they released earlier this year is great. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BigBoyBridge said:

on twitter a member of the band Loathe said they were meant to be playing this year and that there is always next year so they are highly likely to be announced for the pit in 2021

First time in long time The Pit/Lock Up stage looked better than it has in previous years, loathe would have been a great addition 

Jeez some of you need to manage your expectations.

I can’t see them getting both AM and Travis in the same year.

The Strokes aren’t subbing shit.

This is why y’all hate the lineup every year. Because you don’t manage your expectations.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Jeez some of you need to manage your expectations.

I can’t see them getting both AM and Travis in the same year.

The Strokes aren’t subbing shit.

This is why y’all hate the lineup every year. Because you don’t manage your expectations.

Remember 2018 hahahaha

2 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Remember 2018 hahahaha

I have developed a theory that people don’t actually hate R&L, just every year expectations get sky high and people walk head first into a disappointment.

Usually it’s because they expect three marquee acts in one year. 

Also if R&L bags a big headliner it usually means the undercard is going to be smaller. Very rare now R&L bags big headliners and big undercards. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Matt42 said:

I have developed a theory that people don’t actually hate R&L, just every year expectations get sky high and people walk head first into a disappointment.

Usually it’s because they expect three marquee acts in one year. 

Also if R&L bags a big headliner it usually means the undercard is going to be smaller. Very rare now R&L bags big headliners and big undercards. 

Your theory's probably spot on. You either get a balanced lineup with no big headliner or a big headliner(s) and the rest of the lineup isn't big.  People need to understand from a business aspect especially due to the virus that they wont spend more than last year and they dont need to due to the demand from teenagers next year. Maybe one big headliner. I think its impossible to judge this far ahead as you dont get August information for ages. Rage are the front runners at the moment due to replacing an American tour leading to RandL next year but even they arent a guarantee. RandL is a waiting game till Dan joins in.

4 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Your theory's probably spot on. You either get a balanced lineup with no big headliner or a big headliner(s) and the rest of the lineup isn't big.  People need to understand from a business aspect especially due to the virus that they wont spend more than last year and they dont need to due to the demand from teenagers next year. Maybe one big headliner. I think its impossible to judge this far ahead as you dont get August information for ages. Rage are the front runners at the moment due to replacing an American tour leading to RandL next year but even they arent a guarantee. RandL is a waiting game till Dan joins in.

I think something forgotten about is this possibility.

if people like stormzy, Liam gallagher etc aren’t about, what if people like arctic monkeys, Travis, etc aren’t either? There’s a strong possibility that R&L will have even less options than usual.

Also people predicting Dua Lipa to play any less than headline / coheadline have got another thing coming. If they tried to get Halsey to headline this year then Dua is definitely a headliner. She’s the 4th most streamed artist in the world. Some artists have headlined with much less.

Just now, Matt42 said:

I think something forgotten about is this possibility.

if people like stormzy, Liam gallagher etc aren’t about, what if people like arctic monkeys, Travis, etc aren’t either? There’s a strong possibility that R&L will have even less options than usual.

Also people predicting Dua Lipa to play any less than headline / coheadline have got another thing coming. If they tried to get Halsey to headline this year then Dua is definitely a headliner. She’s the 4th most streamed artist in the world. Some artists have headlined with much less.

Artists are preferring the June/July circuit and not as many on the August Sziget/RandL circuit. Next year will not be stronger than what we have now and people will moan, just comes to how bad it may be and if it is.

2 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Artists are preferring the June/July circuit and not as many on the August Sziget/RandL circuit. Next year will not be stronger than what we have now and people will moan, just comes to how bad it may be and if it is.

What I mean is because it’s still v uncertain whether gigs will be allowed next year some big artists can afford to wait it out. If there’s a slim amount of artists touring next year, let alone touring the late summer circuit, then R&L’s lineup might look a bit... inventive.

And by inventive I mean Courteeners.