2021 Lineup

1 hour ago, MIchael_scarn said:

Foals + Biffy Clyro

Idles

Jamie T

Everything Everything

Would honestly be boss that, it's what the people need.

This would be brilliant put Idles on as BBC radio 1 headliner and replaced with Skepta or Wolf Alice would be perfect!

Edited by Dim Sum

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Some might be shocked but I’d be all in for that. A foals and biffy coheadlining would be a very good night in reality.

I think Foals need another shot at headlining the major fests at least one more time, they smashed that 2016 set out of the park and it's still the best headline set I've seen to date. Biffy into Foals or vice versa would be an amazing way to finish a night.

58 minutes ago, Gerard the Fab said:

Take that over Rage headlining any day if it was this years Rage day

The Rage day was the only thing going for this years festival in my opinion. A run in of Slowthai> Run the Jewels > Idles > Rage was actually tempting me into getting a day ticket.

Edited by MIchael_scarn

42 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

I think Foals need another shot at headlining the major fests at least one more time, they smashed that 2016 set out of the park and it's still the best headline set I've seen to date. Biffy into Foals or vice versa would be an amazing way to finish a night.

Honestly I agree, I can’t see why people say they’re too small, the headliner Truck because it’s their home festival and they went full circle. Also realising two albums in a year at 1&2 is a pretty impressive feat.

45 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

The Rage day was the only thing going for this years festival in my opinion. A run in of Slowthai> Run the Jewels > Idles > Rage was actually tempting me into getting a day ticket.

I guess, but there was no saying IDLES wouldn’t clash with Rage, there was fuck all on any stages apart from Tom Grennan and Fever 333 and I don’t really listen to RTJ

I really can’t spell

1 hour ago, Gerard the Fab said:

Honestly I agree, I can’t see why people say they’re too small, the headliner Truck because it’s their home festival and they went full circle. Also realising two albums in a year at 1&2 is a pretty impressive feat.

They headlined Truck and released two albums

7 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Yeah I think they are a safe bet. Was quite surprised they missed all U.K. festivals this year. Reckon they might have done a secret set at Reading?

He’s a great artist and I’ve seen him a few times. I reckon he’d make a good radio 1 headliner.

Yeah, I think they would have done a secret set this year and then played next year anyway but who knows of all 3 headliners from this year carry over. 

I can’t stand Jamie T but he’s really popular with loads of people my age and slightly under. He’d be a good R1 headliner or third down Main again. 

2 hours ago, Gerard the Fab said:

I think you’re looking at it the wrong way. They aren’t top priority for Glasto / Reading. They had a window where they could have been given a shot but they have an “always a bridesmaid never a bride” sort of relationship. The likes of Glastonbury always have stronger options than Foals. If they are going to give a smaller act a shot, it will most likely be an act way more mainstream than Foals.

I think as well Reading are probably unsure whether Foals can sell their own day. Which is a valid reservation. They could return to coheadline but I reckon looking at TRNSMT etc R&L now know they can probably get them to sub if they ask nice enough.

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I think you’re looking at it the wrong way. They aren’t top priority for Glasto / Reading. They had a window where they could have been given a shot but they have an “always a bridesmaid never a bride” sort of relationship. The likes of Glastonbury always have stronger options than Foals. If they are going to give a smaller act a shot, it will most likely be an act way more mainstream than Foals.

I think as well Reading are probably unsure whether Foals can sell their own day. Which is a valid reservation. They could return to coheadline but I reckon looking at TRNSMT etc R&L now know they can probably get them to sub if they ask nice enough.

Would it be the first time a headliner has ever come back in a non headline position?

3 hours ago, TKOCF said:

Would it be the first time a headliner has ever come back in a non headline position?

Quite a few including Primal Scream, James, Cypress Hill, obviously Manics and strangely Rage in 2000. I’m sure that was some guest spot or something though. 

5 hours ago, HeyPorter said:

Quite a few including Primal Scream, James, Cypress Hill, obviously Manics and strangely Rage in 2000. I’m sure that was some guest spot or something though. 

RATM playing fourth down in 2000 seems mental to be. Like, had they really fallen off that much by then just four years after headlining, even if it was billed as a special guest slot or whatever? Goes to show that a good disbandment and then reformation a few years down the line can do wonders for your lineup positionings and legacy - I can see why so many acts break up only to come back a couple of years later for that sweet reformation money.

Edited by FloorFiller

11 hours ago, Matt42 said:

If they are going to give a smaller act a shot, it will most likely be an act way more mainstream than Foals.

Interested to hear some artists you mean here? Surely if they are more mainstream they are going to be bigger than Foals anyway?!?!

13 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Yeah, I think they would have done a secret set this year and then played next year anyway but who knows of all 3 headliners from this year carry over

13 hours ago, Andre91 said:

I can’t stand Jamie T but he’s really popular with loads of people my age and slightly under. He’d be a good R1 headliner or third down Main again. 

I think Biffy have to be one of the headliners lines up for next year anyways even if it was co headline. I also think they would’ve been one of the big secret sets this year

Sorry may I ask how old you are??

13 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I think as a co headline they would seek quickly, especially in a kinda TØP, Panic situation

Foals and Bring Me would be a good pairing I think 

Can''t see them losing any of the headliners honestly. Migos is the highest billed artist they could lose I reckon - the others are mostly british touring staples and Rage are set to tour. I would love a completely new lineup though

1 hour ago, Gerard the Fab said:

I think Biffy have to be one of the headliners lines up for next year anyways even if it was co headline. I also think they would’ve been one of the big secret sets this year

Sorry may I ask how old you are??

I’m 27. 

42 minutes ago, AlfieLamb said:

Seeing a lot of people saying arctic monkeys for next year. If the Hillsboro park dates are confirmed will glasto not be much more likely for them? 

Arctic Monkeys are said a lot every year, can't see them coming back though. They have the pulling power to play wherever they want even after releasing an album a lot of people (not me) were disappointing with.

Despite being massive fan, I think I'd rather someone fresh headline and see AM at one of their own shows really.

1 hour ago, AlfieLamb said:

Seeing a lot of people saying arctic monkeys for next year. If the Hillsboro park dates are confirmed will glasto not be much more likely for them? 

41 minutes ago, theesundayroast said:

Arctic Monkeys are said a lot every year, can't see them coming back though. They have the pulling power to play wherever they want even after releasing an album a lot of people (not me) were disappointing with.

Despite being massive fan, I think I'd rather someone fresh headline and see AM at one of their own shows really.

Obviously no idea what direction AM are gonna take with their new material, but if they're planning on continuing to veer away from their older sound like they did on the last album (whether it be a continuation of that sound or something new entirely) then Reading/Leeds may not be the place for them anymore. Imagine a crowd of eccied up students wanting to go mental to Mardy Bum, only to be hit with -scans TBH&C tracklist- The World's First Ever Monster Truck Front Flip.

Of course they might just go back to another version of the guitar lead indie rock that they're loved for so it may be a non-issue. 

1 hour ago, theesundayroast said:

I’m a big fan, loved TBHC and I’ve never seen them before so I’m kinda the opposite, would love to see them headline a festival (although I feel like they might be more likely to play Glastonbury than Reading next year)

27 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Obviously no idea what direction AM are gonna take with their new material, but if they're planning on continuing to veer away from their older sound like they did on the last album (whether it be a continuation of that sound or something new entirely) then Reading/Leeds may not be the place for them anymore. Imagine a crowd of eccied up students wanting to go mental to Mardy Bum, only to be hit with -scans TBH&C tracklist- The World's First Ever Monster Truck Front Flip.

Of course they might just go back to another version of the guitar lead indie rock that they're loved for so it may be a non-issue. 

I understand your point, but there is simply no way I can agree with the bit in bold - their 2nd most recent album AM is absolutely HUGE amongst the younger crowd let alone the older stuff, which the majority regard as their best and rightly so.

Like yeah people would go mental for stuff like Mardy Bum, Fluorescent Adolescent etc. but you forget just how unbelievably big Do I Wanna Know, R U Mine, Dancefloor etc. still are to your average 16-18 year old - irrespective of TBHC or whatever direction their newer stuff may be.

Arctic Monkeys in my opinion are still comfortably the biggest booking R+L could make in terms of the widest appeal and the fastest selling day

Edited by R Shah

1 minute ago, R Shah said:

I understand your point, but there is simply no way I can agree with the bit in bold - their 2nd most recent album AM is absolutely HUGE amongst the younger crowd let alone the older stuff, which the majority regard as their best and rightly so.

Arctic Monkeys in my opinion are still comfortably the biggest booking R+L could make in terms of the widest appeal and the fastest selling day

Yeah you're absolutely right, and tbh I think their last album's direction was more than likely a one off and they'll go back to the standard lads with guitars formula to keep everybody happy and still comfortably be able to headline R/L on the next one, but if not it may be a harder sell, especially if they decide to cull more and more of their older material from the setlists. They'd certainly be the biggest/most in demand booking the festivals could make, but if their next album is more mid tempo lounge songs then they may decide to play somewhere better suited for that kind of stuff.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah you're absolutely right, and tbh I think their last album's direction was more than likely a one off and they'll go back to the standard lads with guitars formula to keep everybody happy and still comfortably be able to headline R/L on the next one, but if not it may be a harder sell, especially if they decide to cull more and more of their older material from the setlists. They'd certainly be the biggest/most in demand booking the festivals could make, but if their next album is more mid tempo lounge songs then they may decide to play somewhere better suited for that kind of stuff.

This is a good point about the band not wanting to play R+L because they want to tour venues more appropriate to their new album's sound (perhaps explaining why they did only 1 outdoor UK show on the TBHC tour).

However, if R+L do manage to book them it'll be a colossal ticket shifter and set - no matter what their new album songs like! I shall be there

4 hours ago, Andre91 said:

I’m 27. 

Oh blimey right, well I’m 10 years younger than you and it’s completely the same here

3 hours ago, AlfieLamb said:

lets hope Glasto roll the lineup over