2021 Lineup

21 hours ago, FestivalJamie said:

Reading festival has completely lost its identity anyway, that would be a strong line up for the current crowd that attends the festival.

Not really, neither have headlined anything yet. I'm not sure Tame Impala would get it but you can't book those 3 to headline and calling it Reading, Wireless maybe or dare I actually say V Festival.

• Downvote 1

37 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Not really, neither have headlined anything yet. I'm not sure Tame Impala would get it but you can't book those 3 to headline and calling it Reading, Wireless maybe or dare I actually say V Festival.

Dua lipa have headlined sziget before.

15 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Nah.

Yh I reckon so. If migos can sub she deffo can. She’s blowing up a fair bit on TikTok and she’s got quite a following behind her already. She will probably drop her first proper album before Reading and will definitely be big enough. Remember we are talking in over a years time and she has an album release before then.

Edited by Matt42
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Yh I reckon so. If migos can sub she deffo can. She’s blowing up a fair bit on TikTok and she’s got quite a following behind her already. She will probably drop her first proper album before Reading and will definitely be big enough. Remember we are talking in over a years time and she has an album release before then.

I miss the days when we just used to decide where acts would play based on if they could sell out Brixton Academy. 

8 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

A lot of assumptions and predictions to say she'll definitely be big enough.

Also is being big on TikTok the new measure of an artists size? Benee is going to sub next year. If Migos can sub then she deffo can. She's blowing up a fair bit on TikTok and she's got quite a following behind her already. She will probably drop her first proper album before Reading and will DEFINITELY be big enough. Remember we are talking in over a years time and she has an album release before then.

4 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

I miss the days when we just used to decide where acts would play based on if they could sell out Brixton Academy. 

Acts who have been big on YouTube have been getting big slots at r&l for years, dunno why this is any different.

Just now, Matt42 said:

That acts being popularised by the Internet and social media and receiving big bookings at festivals is nothing new.

I don't know why you singled out YouTube tho? Can't think of any acts that rose to fame through YouTube that have had a big slot at R&L. KSI was booked for this year but even he was given a really low slot on the 1xtra.

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Does her last album not count because it flopped?

Technically it was an EP :P 

also define flop. Savage is doing pretty well right now.

2 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

I don't know why you singled out YouTube tho? Can't think of any acts that rose to fame through YouTube that have had a big slot at R&L. KSI was booked for this year but even he was given a really low slot on the 1xtra.

When I was a youngun artists with big followings on YouTube we’re getting big bookings globally? Older adults not that familiar with internet bands were shouting “who” all the time. 

Also there’s a difference between KSI and someone signed to major label.

Edited by Matt42

Just now, Matt42 said:

When I was a youngun artists with big followings on YouTube we’re getting big bookings globally? Older adults not that familiar with internet bands were shouting “who” all the time. 

Which bands?

I could see Megan Thee Stallion getting a slot like 5th main stage next year, if she releases a successful album. If we're drawing parallels with Migos, that's the slot they got in 2017 at a similar stage in their career to Megan now. Also remember that both Post Malone and Billie Eilish played 5th main stage in the last couple of years even though they were both way bigger than Megan Thee Stallion will be by next year.

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Technically it was an EP :P 

also define flop. Savage is doing pretty well right now.

Ok, that's fair

She was anticipated to be the next big thing and have an Invasion of Privacy level blow-up, and then that release appears to have only scraped into the top 10 in the US. I don't really think it's as simple as 'was only an EP, jury's still out!' here, I think she just may not end up as popular as people thought she would. Like, do you remember Desiigner?

If you're putting TikTok popularity into this then you have to remember those things die out as quickly as they blow up so there are gonna be a hundred songs that blow up on there between now and the 2021 festival. Lessons should be learned from Macklemore & Ryan Lewis in 2014.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Lessons should be learned from Macklemore & Ryan Lewis in 2014.

Yep, this is what I'm thinking. They haven't seemed to repeat bookings acts that have blown up so quickly in such big slots since, they've given them more modest slots a la Post and Billie (both of whom will maintain their level of fame far better than Macklemore did, mind).

Even Lewis Capaldi is meant to play third down this year.

7 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Which bands?

I could see Megan Thee Stallion getting a slot like 5th main stage next year, if she releases a successful album. If we're drawing parallels with Migos, that's the slot they got in 2017 at a similar stage in their career to Megan now. Also remember that both Post Malone and Billie Eilish played 5th main stage in the last couple of years even though they were both way bigger than Megan Thee Stallion will be by next year.

6 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

So you just mean an artist that uploads their music videos to YouTube, like literally every artist on the planet right now?

All valid points. I’m just trying to gauge the potential unpredictable booking that could be made next year. We know that R&L sometimes likes to jump the gun a bit.

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Ok, that's fair

She was anticipated to be the next big thing and have an Invasion of Privacy level blow-up, and then that release appears to have only scraped into the top 10 in the US. I don't really think it's as simple as 'was only an EP, jury's still out!' here, I think she just may not end up as popular as people thought she would. Like, do you remember Desiigner?

If you're putting TikTok popularity into this then you have to remember those things die out as quickly as they blow up so there are gonna be a hundred songs that blow up on there between now and the 2021 festival. Lessons should be learned from Macklemore & Ryan Lewis in 2014.

Again, fair points. Have R&L learned that lesson though?

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

All valid points. I’m just trying to gauge the potential unpredictable booking that could be made next year. We know that R&L sometimes likes to jump the gun a bit.

I actually think an act like Doja Cat would be more likely to get a decent slot next year. Don't think she'll sub, but I think she's more likely than Megan Thee Stallion at this point.

Both of them would have been great booking for this year. Shame they didn't get either/they weren't available.

4 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

I actually think an act like Doja Cat would be more likely to get a decent slot next year. Don't think she'll sub, but I think she's more likely than Megan Thee Stallion at this point.

Both of them would have been great booking for this year. Shame they didn't get either/they weren't available.

Not sure if I missed it but it looks like Megan has totally sacked off the U.K so far. Don’t think I saw her on any lineups that I would have expected her to be at.

I could have seen Doja being a late addition to R&L.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Not sure if I missed it but it looks like Megan has totally sacked off the U.K so far. Don’t think I saw her on any lineups that I would have expected her to be at.

I could have seen Doja being a late addition to R&L.

Yeah I looked the other day and seems like she’s only ever played in the UK once. Surely will change eventually though.

Just now, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Yeah I looked the other day and seems like she’s only ever played in the UK once. Surely will change eventually though.

It can be like that for some US hip hop acts. Which makes me think she’s the type to only show up if she’s got a big slot.