Ryan Adams

tevaburger

6 minutes ago, Room to sway said:

So... what happens now? Is he going to come out and make a statement (I know he made one on the day these came out but that's been it)?

Haven't seen anything else from him. I think we need a lot more than just "well gee whiz I didn't realise I might have hurt people". Maybe he could go full Spacey and release a video? Maybe not...

He can't just leave things as they stand though, what's he gonna do, turn up on stage and just carry on like nothing's happened? "Here's a song about love, and what I do to people to get what looks like it".

why can't he? What good is any statement going to make? Will it change any minds?

23 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

why can't he? What good is any statement going to make? Will it change any minds?

It raises an interesting point/question , as to what happens to people who are accused of this sort of stuff (and it links back to the whole aftermath of this type of thing), are they essentially not allowed to work again in their chosen profession? And also is that based on whether they've been found guilty or simply accused? And is that forever or for a set period of time and also who decides? (is it the studio's, promoters, record labels or the public or the victims) 

Not defending him and his ilk at all, but I think it's an interesting discussion to have. 

43 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

If he's innocent, or thinks there's information that needs to be out there, then surely he would come out and say it. He's already made some noises about his relative innocence so why not explain things to people?

I know a lot of people have written him off due to these rumours already, how would it be worse to come out and talk about it?

Unless he's hoping that this is all under the radar just enough so that enough people will still come to the gigs... his level of fame is hard to gauge, really. What percentage of people coming to his gigs would know about these allegations?

14 minutes ago, Room to sway said:

If he's innocent, or thinks there's information that needs to be out there, then surely he would come out and say it.

My guess is that anything he'll do will be done for his benefit and not for people like you.

So why would he make further statements? It'll only give the likes of you a further excuse to slate him, with lots of "that was inadequate/I don't believe him/he's still a c**t" flying around.

31 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

It raises an interesting point/question , as to what happens to people who are accused of this sort of stuff

I think it might have been raised before. :P 

The majority opinion seems to be that he's to somehow become a non-person - but any mention of his name should be followed by the loudest condemnations possible.

(i wonder if any of those peeps are still shopping with or working for Arcadia group? :P )

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

My guess is that anything he'll do will be done for his benefit and not for people like you.

So why would he make further statements? It'll only give the likes of you a further excuse to slate him, with lots of "that was inadequate/I don't believe him/he's still a c**t" flying around.

Of course he'll make a decision for his own benefit, I was just asking what people thought that decision might be, and when.

Anyone who's heard the allegations will want to hear his side of things, me included. However, all I've heard so far are the allegations from the other side.

All he's done is put out a few general tweets that don't answer any specific points ("Some of its details are misrepresented; some are exaggerated; some are outright false"). Those were two weeks ago now. Does he think that's answered all the questions people have?

Why wouldn't it seem reasonable to him to come out and respond fully to the allegations, and what's specifically been alleged? I'd be very very upset if I was accused of the things he's been accused of (particularly the underage stuff).

I get that nothing has been proven, and maybe there isn't a way of "disproving" these allegations, but I do feel that he could do a lot lot more to talk to people about this.

4 minutes ago, Room to sway said:

Of course he'll make a decision for his own benefit, I was just asking what people thought that decision might be, and when.

Anyone who's heard the allegations will want to hear his side of things, me included. However, all I've heard so far are the allegations from the other side.

All he's done is put out a few general tweets that don't answer any specific points ("Some of its details are misrepresented; some are exaggerated; some are outright false"). Those were two weeks ago now. Does he think that's answered all the questions people have?

Why wouldn't it seem reasonable to him to come out and respond fully to the allegations, and what's specifically been alleged? I'd be very very upset if I was accused of the things he's been accused of (particularly the underage stuff).

I get that nothing has been proven, and maybe there isn't a way of "disproving" these allegations, but I do feel that he could do a lot lot more to talk to people about this.

It’s quite likely that he’s been advised not to make any public statements. There’s still the possibility of all this going legal.

14 minutes ago, Room to sway said:

Does he think that's answered all the questions people have?

Does he think he's obliged to answer all the questions people have?

It seems to me that everyone has already made up their minds anyway and that anything he says won't be changing any minds, but it would drag it all up as headline news again and make it harder for him to move on with his life (and whatever you think of him and whatever punishments you think he should face he still has to move on with his life).

@Hugh Jass fair point, that's probably the reason for the radio silence!

@eFestivals he's not "obliged" to say anything, though I guess i'm kind of expecting something because, from my point of view, I want to know whether this person is someone I'd be happy listening to the music of (the person behind the music is important to me), especially since I've loved a lot of his stuff for years.

It's very disappointing to me (awful for the women/girls concerned) if these things are true.

For the time being I'm not listening to anything of his. Not that he cares, of course. He'll do what's right for him. Of course he still has a life to lead whatever happens, but I'm less sympathetic to him than I am to the people who he's hurt - if he has hurt them, of course.

2 hours ago, priest17 said:

Think Louis CK and Aziz Ansari have shown that just cracking like before is the best way to deal with this. Unless something criminal comes out of the alleged abuse of the younger lass I imagine he'll just do the same.

c**ts the lot of them.

To be fair to Aziz, his was just a bad date. I don't think it's massively fair to pair him with a serial abuser like louis ck

8 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

I asked for a refund for my Manchester ticket and was refused by Seetickets. Seems like a pretty bad idea leaving angry fans without refunds but still with tickets to attend.

Seems to me that nobody - Adams, the promoters or the ticket sellers are prepared to take the financial hit of cancelling the shows or refunding punters, so right now it's the punters who are taking the hit. It's a murky area as despite the allegations Adams hasn't actually been convicted of anything, so nobody can cancel without having to pay out. See are quite justified in asking why they should have to refund tickets through no fault of their own when the show is still scheduled to go ahead.

Ultimately it's up to Adams' people to either cancel the shows outright or authorise refunds on the tickets, but they seem unwilling to do so. As said above, it'll be interesting to see what sort of reaction he gets if he does go ahead.

17 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

would the fans love Ryan again, then, if he refunded...? :P 

I've made a decision (as many fans have) that I don't want to financially support the dude in light of the allegations. Love? No I'd just be happy to not spend £100 on a gig i'm not attending :D

With regards to Seetickets, pointing at the T&Cs is the easy answer but the fact that this has made national news shows this isn't just a few people asking for refunds. Also just because something is in the 'rules' doesn't necessarily mean it's morally correct or fair, it's a business decision pure and simple. A seesaw between bad press and financial gain.

6 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Also just because something is in the 'rules' doesn't necessarily mean it's morally correct or fair, it's a business decision pure and simple.

Yep, i'm sure it's a business decision, tho the venues and promoter and ticket agents, etc, are as innocent as you are for what Adams is accused of. You can see why they'd be reluctant to pick up the losses.

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Yep, i'm sure it's a business decision, tho the venues and promoter and ticket agents, etc, are as innocent as you are for what Adams is accused of. You can see why they'd be reluctant to pick up the losses.

Oh absolutely. I bet they're super pissed about all the publicity it's getting and I'd love to be a fly on the wall for the talks between The venues, the promoter, Seetickets and Ryan Adams management that are going on right now.

Ultimately though, if they do go ahead, they're going to be absolute shit shows. A volatile performer known for his outbursts going through a career nose drive, a cocktail of no shows, the super loyal fans who want to stand by him and then angry punters who didn't get refunds who have turned up to just to mess shit up......hmmmmm maybe I will go if it does go ahead. 

2 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Ultimately though, if they do go ahead, they're going to be absolute shit shows. A volatile performer known for his outbursts going through a career nose drive, a cocktail of no shows, the super loyal fans who want to stand by him and then angry punters who didn't get refunds who have turned up to just to mess shit up......hmmmmm maybe I will go if it does go ahead. 

Think you've just sold me on these gigs...

6 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

See would issue the refund then claim it back from the promoter.

On what grounds though?  I understand if a gig is pulled then Seetickets would physically deal with the refunds, as there would then be an arrangement in place with the promoter to refund the money, but in this scenario why would anyone ask Seetickets for the money?

6 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

See would issue the refund then claim it back from the promoter.

that sort of thing would only be done with the promoter's say so, tho, cos it's bound to all be tightly contracted. 

And the promoter will have contracts with Adams, where the promoter is committed to paying £x for the shows, with Adams quite possibly liable to carry all the costs so far if he cancels.