Ryan Adams

tevaburger

he's gotten a mention or two on a few other threads, but... not a good day to be Ryan Adams

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/13/arts/music/ryan-adams-women-sex.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

interesting to see the chatter on twitter with others like Natalie Prass and Margo Price responding to each other, and we know the Phoebe Bridgers song referencing him too...

sickening stuff

3 hours ago, tevaburger said:

he's gotten a mention or two on a few other threads, but... not a good day to be Ryan Adams

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/13/arts/music/ryan-adams-women-sex.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

interesting to see the chatter on twitter with others like Natalie Prass and Margo Price responding to each other, and we know the Phoebe Bridgers song referencing him too...

sickening stuff

Yup. Always came across as a massive dick, but I didn't realise exactly how much of a scumbag he is  

Edited by zahidf

15 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

Just add a B to the start and pretend you’re a fan of the Summer of 69 heartthrob. 

I already have so many Bryan Adams tees though. 

Joking aside this is pretty fucking grim. It's a sad state of affairs that in this case its not even *that* much of a surprise (okay the underage thing is, but the rest not so much). Even as a fan I can acknowledge that most of the time Adams comes across as a pretty unpleasant person, that being said there's a big difference between being a bit of a dick and putting people your meant to care for through this kind of shit. Hugely disappointed in him. 

Adams being a manipulative prick isn't remotely surprising to be honest. he's long had a history of being an asshole to various people, either romantically involved or not.

I used to just assume he was another standard drug-addled, "tortured" artist. After a few years of him being on social media, he seems like an immature, unstable prick.

51 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Very nearly bought a ticket for his upcoming tour yesterday. Glad I didn't now. It'll be interesting to see if it goes ahead and if people still turn up, quite a few dates already sold out.

I would be confident it will go the same way as last year's Hookworms tour which was shrouded in the same grimness.

The tour will die, I have no doubt.

Ben

Even if he only suspected it and actually thought she was 16 or 17  (which is the most leeway Ill give him) he should've stayed well clear. Obviously. A 40 year old man has no business anywhere near a 16/17 year old. 3200 texts, pet names for her body parts and texts containing stuff like "tell me that your mom is not gonna kill me if she finds out we even text" and "You never send me pics anymore....I just want you to touch your nipple". 

Then his lawyer comes out with a Chris Morris type "he does not recall having online communications with anyone related to anything outside of music". 

Over 3200 texts. 

The tour will be binned. 

What a waste, was only listening to his self titled yesterday. 

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

Even if he only suspected it and actually thought she was 16 or 17  (which is the most leeway Ill give him) he should've stayed well clear. Obviously. A 40 year old man has no business anywhere near a 16/17 year old. 3200 texts, pet names for her body parts and texts containing stuff like "tell me that your mom is not gonna kill me if she finds out we even text" and "You never send me pics anymore....I just want you to touch your nipple". 

Then his lawyer comes out with a Chris Morris type "he does not recall having online communications with anyone related to anything outside of music". 

Over 3200 texts. 

The tour will be binned. 

What a waste, was only listening to his self titled yesterday. 

OMG.

Those quoted texts are stomach-turningly revolting. It hits home when you have a 19 year old daughter yourself, I can tell you...

WTF is wrong with people...?

:(

Ben

2 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Few heads in the industry are feeling a little worried today I reckon. 

I'd like to think so and it's a positive step to take out the guy at the top but those behind the scenes are equally as culpable, condoning it, turning a blind eye to it and often behaving in the same manner. Let's hope that one day today's news doesn't become tomorrow's chip wrapper and we see actual change rather than short-term media outrage then long-term silence. Until the next instance.

• Upvote 1

yeah, he's done...his twitter responses yesterday about 'working on being a better person' etc... can't imagine who's going to show up at those gigs now. how many records was it to come out in 2019??? Capital records offices must be celebrating valentine's day today

read the full article and the quoted texts, it's there, it's not "if he did this" and as Nal says the ridiculous manager statement about music-related vs. 3200 texts. 

I never liked him from a while ago, his persona in interviews, some of his stage banter... have some friends in the biz who have always mentioned back to me that he's just a complete jerk. I think that put me off getting full-on deep into his music, although I did like quite a lot of it. 

because he's worked with so many artists, including many male musicians, it will be interesting to see what they say. One very respected in that field that i checked immediately was Jason Isbell, who said on twitter he didn't know about this behaviour but said he believed it. 

Yeah he was gonna release three albums this year.

Odd how open a secret this was, I'd heard nothing. You'd think with MeToo there would have been more, but maybe I chose not to see anything.

As for people who were turning a blind eye, no-one else was blamed for knowledge of Harvey Weinstein and that was a very very open secret.

It's a terrible state of affairs that someone can act like this with impunity, but hopefully more light on the subject will drive more change.

I think anyone expecting their male music heroes to stand up against his behaviour will be waiting a long time. Puts me in mind of Louis CK and how none of the massive comedians he associated with (Gervais, Rock, Seinfeld) seem to have said a single word of condemnation of the creepy shit he did. Not accusing them of defending him either but there is a neutrality to silence that speaks volumes.