Bed questions

shuttlep

I picked up a ‘self inflating’ roll mat from tkmaxx a few years ago for cheap, not quite air bed level comfort, but good enough for a festival, and no need to bring a pump! They’re normally filled with a pretty dense sponge/foam, then you top them up with a few breaths of air.

Theres loads of Amazon for £20-30. 

I can confirm that the inflatable mattresses you get from the cosy camper on site tend to deflate slowly over the course of the weekend. Probably less comfortable than sleeping on a bed of nails as it will just allow one point of your body to be in contact with the ground (normally my hip) and concentrate the majority of my considerable mass through that point. 

Will probably get one again this year 

Self inflating thicker the better...  Lidl and Aldi usually do one thats 5cm for around £15 over the next month or so. Have one of these and it did three Glasonburys until I upgraded to one of these.  Not this model but effectively the same and cheaper.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inflatable-Festivals-Portable-Waterproof-Material/dp/B0786MNCQL/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1550048348&sr=8-6&keywords=inflatable+camping+bed

Like a cross between an airbed and a sleeping mat but 12cm thick. lighter and very comfy.

• Like 1

I had one of these for a couple of years (got the van now!) - https://www.camperite.co.uk/kampa-kip-wideboy-10/

Downside - it's really bulky when deflated, though not too heavy; it's a camping mattress, it's not going to be quite as good as home...  Upside - super comfortable, in the context of camping; you can make it a bit harder or softer (though it will always be quite hard) by varying how much its inflated; it's pretty much self inflating - you unroll it and leave it, and then a few breaths at the end; it blocks the cold from the ground.  Apparently, they also do a narrower version about £20 cheaper, but I liked the extra space.   

I got a vango one from ebay about 5 - 6 years ago. Can be a bit of a faff to deflate afterwards if you're feeling a bit worse for wear. But if you do it properly it rolls up really quite small, plus is light. 

Its not this specific one but similar https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vango-Trek-Mat-3cm-Self-Inflating-Mat-2018/173239492674?epid=25017220638&hash=item2855e0e042:m:mzgjYxNkH3u9FggzVgJUf9A:rk:8:pf:0

I have one from Lidl, I think it was around £15 when they do their camping special buys. It's 5CM thick and quite wide so I can spread out. I think I've done 2 festivals with it and I'd never go back to air beds.

The mats are a lot firmer so you dont move around, I would recommend them to anyone. 

• 2 weeks later...

I got this one via an add on facebook. 

Trekology sleeping mat

The offer on facebook drops the price to £10.49. It seems a good mat on my floor, not tried it in a real situation. For the price I thought it was worth a try.

Offer is on this page (scroll down to find it)

Trekology

Alan

Edited by alanr
addition