Are all of the festival line ups this year a bit rubbish?

zahidf

21 minutes ago, HeyPorter said:

This was my first Reading, I was 10 so most definitely missed that Saturday melody maker double whammy. Have strangely always remembered seeing Tool midday, still never got into them even after that. 

4D7C9032-1B84-4B12-8BF9-90297C25D78A.jpeg

That was my first festival. Only went on the Friday night and only really went for Rage. The crowd surge forward when they came on nearly crushed me to death but I've never had more fun.

On 2/12/2019 at 5:11 PM, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

It does seem like a lot of places are having a bit of an off-year with the lineups this year. Luckily my number one love Green Man has made, for me, their best first announcement in years. I've got to hand it to R&L also, it's not for me but they've got a good set of bands for their audience there.

Primavera have made an entry into the pantheon of all-time great festival lineups this year though, incredible stuff.

Despite featuring one of my top three bands in the world, you must be looking at a different Primavera line up to me... ?

Just now, RichardWaller said:

Maybe we're just getting older.

Not me. Ever.

And honestly I dont think that's it when your got Keith urban headlining and EWF and B52s playing...

I think the bubble has burst. Theres too many fests and not enough bands who care to play them repeatedly. A lot of the mid US ones have cancelled this year...  so that leaves the big ones and the small ones... the winds are changing who knows what it will bring. 

15 minutes ago, RichardWaller said:

Here's my first festival, well the Leeds leg

Reading_2000-438x620.jpg

Kinda feel like it was a bit wasted on the 17 year old me, missed so much stuff that evne the 20 year old me would've loved to have seen. 

Oooh.....I was at the Reading leg. Daphne and Celeste had a horrific time and bottled off stage within minutes.

1 hour ago, Superscally said:

Despite featuring one of my top three bands in the world, you must be looking at a different Primavera line up to me... ?

That's certainly possible. Of course it's also possible this applies to you and not me...

14 minutes ago, RichardWaller said:

:ph34r:

1 minute ago, MetaKate said:

Not me. Ever.

And honestly I dont think that's it when your got Keith urban headlining and EWF and B52s playing...

I think the bubble has burst. Theres too many fests and not enough bands who care to play them repeatedly. A lot of the mid US ones have cancelled this year...  so that leaves the big ones and the small ones... the winds are changing who knows what it will bring. 

Oh no doubt about it there have been a lot of changes. Couldn't even start to count how many festivals have been and gone since my first one in 2000, never mind before then. Does feels like festivals have become less messing about in the mud running from stage to stage and more keeping up appearances for want of a better way of putting it. Glastonbury's still Glastonbury, it's a chameleon of a festival, summat for everyone.  Course across the board festivals have got more expensive and coupled with austerity they're a lot less accessible than they used to be. I've got my deposit down but been having doubts whether I can actually afford to go, ticket, travel and food and drink I'm probably looking at three and a bit weeks wages. I've always had a no frills festival experience, but now you get all the glamping and premium packages and all the rest of it. Ah, I'm just rambling incoherently now, but wondering if crudely, the posher side of festivals is going to have a bit more of a backlash since Fyre. Like you say, the winds are changing, who knows what it will bring.

8 minutes ago, s30foster said:

Oooh.....I was at the Reading leg. Daphne and Celeste had a horrific time and bottled off stage within minutes.

They looked like they were loving it at Leeds to be fair to em. I think they were sandwiched between Blink 182 and Slipknot. 

What the fuck, they had an album out last year?!

Edit: I actually like this 

Edited by RichardWaller

44 minutes ago, RichardWaller said:

Here's my first festival, well the Leeds leg

Reading_2000-438x620.jpg

Kinda feel like it was a bit wasted on the 17 year old me, missed so much stuff that evne the 20 year old me would've loved to have seen. 

That Reading was my first too.

Who were those no-marks on the fourth stage on the Saturday?

Edited by Hugh Jass

21 minutes ago, RichardWaller said:

They looked like they were loving it at Leeds to be fair to em. I think they were sandwiched between Blink 182 and Slipknot. 

What the fuck, they had an album out last year?!

Edit: I actually like this 

IIRC they did it because they wanted to meet Eminem.... who then pulled out.

I seen the video of Daphne and Celeste being bottled off stage doing the rounds on twitter yesterday, what a strange booking that was from both sides. Assume they walked off in the end? Felt sorry for them, their agent should have warned them! 

Other one I can remember was that X factor contestant Cher Lloyd having a pint of piss chucked at her at V festival i think? Horrific.

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

That Reading was my first too.

Who were those no-marks on the fourth stage on the Saturday?

Aye, can be torturous going through old festivals you were at to see what you missed... Seen em a few times since but kin hell that'd have been summat.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

IIRC they did it because they wanted to meet Eminem.... who then pulled out.

Yeah, sure they were wearing tops with summat about Eminem on em. Fair play to em going through with it.

2 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

I seen the video of Daphne and Celeste being bottled off stage doing the rounds on twitter yesterday, what a strange booking that was from both sides. Assume they walked off in the end? Felt sorry for them, their agent should have warned them! 

it was always done as a piss take. They knew what they were getting into.

And hey, it worked. People still talk of them today, rather than them disappearing into obscurity as they would have done. 

6 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

I wouldn't feel too sorry for em, singing "U.G.L.Y you ain't got no alibi, you ugly" to that crowd was some top drawer trolling. They had a great time.

Edited by RichardWaller