Are all of the festival line ups this year a bit rubbish?

zahidf

Depends if you like the bands playing at other festivals or not - if you like them then the lineup is strong/good, if not then to you it is weak/bad.

I think the lineups at Standon Calling and Truck are, especially for the size of festival, really good - shame both festivals are, in my opinion, not good overall.

It's pretty subjective but the general consensus across the board seems to think so and I'd agree. Not entirely sure why it is. Maybe the rise in genre-specific festivals makes for less variety? I dunno. Having said that, I've had discussions with people who are disappointed with their usual second or third festivals' (after Glastonbury) lineups so far and that's everywhere from End of the Road to Isle of Wight to Latitude and beyond.

APE, Bluedot and Primavera stand out this year but that's about it. The only other European festival that's caught my eye is Doctor Music and that seems like it might be a logistical and organisational nightmare.

Mad Cool last year was fantastic for me because it was a pretty varied lineup. Glastonbury always caters for an eclectic music taste and this year Boomtown gets my money cos they're doing the same. Variety is key for me.

12 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

hold the front page....

festival line-ups not as good as they used to be, shocker.

:P 

I don't think the OP was referring to a long-term reduction in quality, more comparing last year, which seemed to be generally well-received to what's been announced so far this year. 

What you're referring to is a whole different thread...

...and we all know they peaked in 1999-2002 ?

7 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I didn't think so at the time but when I look back, for me 2009 will take some beating

Yeah 2009 is stacked full of stars that hadn’t quite broken out yet.

2014 also has a lot of now festival headliners that we’rent at the time. 

I’m torn between 2011, 2016 and 2004 for objectively the strongest headliner trio. 

Whilst Adele is objectively bigger, I think Beyoncé had a greater cultural impact when she headlined the festival and (speaking from experience) it ushered in a whole new generation of festival goers.

Edited by Matt42

Just now, Matt42 said:

Whilst Adele is objectively bigger, I think Beyoncé had a greater cultural impact when she headlined the festival and (speaking from experience) it ushered in a whole new generation of festival goers.

Yeah, Beyonce felt like a cultural shift for the festival, for sure. That was a huge booking.

Why is everyone stuck on headliners and the bigger bands, I don't give a shit who headlines, a week working and playing with good friends watching random stuff and partying is what makes a festival - don't forget the original definition of a a festival is a Feast of Fools!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, matt2007 said:

Why is everyone stuck on headliners and the bigger bands, I don't give a shit who headlines, a week working and playing with good friends watching random stuff and partying is what makes a festival - don't forget the original definition of a a festival is a Feast of Fools!

eFeastoffools 

• Upvote 1