The Volunteering thread 2019

FestiZebra

Yes - the Castle Cary shuttle starts running on the Saturday before the Festival. The Bath & West Showgrounds shuttle starts running on the Tuesday before the festival - Albeit obviously both are at a much lower frequency than on show days so you might have to wait an hour or more for the bus.

Some crews may also run their own services in addition to those, but I wouldn't recommend trying to get aboard one of those unless you're confident that it'll put you in the right place - if you need to register and collect your wristband at a specific location, and end up far away from that then it would be a very long walk around the perimeter to get to where you need to be, as all of the most direct routes will be closed off to anyone without accreditation.

• Upvote 1

On 2/13/2019 at 12:46 PM, Funkyfairy! said:

My first year as a bin painter. Its a big committment (full 2 weeks work pre festival ) , so more hours than anyone else asks for but for me my dream come true, and it wasn;t about getting a ticket, it was about getting involved and giving hours back to somewhere thats bought me so much joy. My third year of applying and this year I got lucky :-).

so you should have access to Goose Hall

https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/site-snaps-tipis-and-tattoos/

https://www.foodservicefootprint.com/festival-fare/

and some shots of Goose Hall and bin painting  

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/photos/preparations-are-made-at-worthy-farm-ahead-of-the-glastonbury-festival

• Upvote 1

This will be my first time volunteering at a festival, I’ve been to Glastonbury 5 times in recent years only missing out in 2014. Out of my group I was the only one who managed to get a place so I’m going on my own unless In the resale a few mates get lucky but it seems unlikely. I’m coming from Brighton and hopefully I’ll meet up with some of you lot and have a great time again ?.  Thinking about a lift share but won’t know I’ll ha e space until after the start of April if my mates don’t make it.

Have to say I like the fact there’ll be no quing at the gates on the Wednesday, think it was 2017?, that was hot as hell ? 

Edited by utwothefly

4 minutes ago, utwothefly said:

Am I right in thinking in 2017 to the left of purple 4 is the oxfam camping?

Yes. Then Festaff in the smaller field to the left of that, then FMS and one other group I can't remember in the field closest to VG2.

Though as always this stuff can potentially change year to year based on what fields are available.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, incident said:

Yes. Then Festaff in the smaller field to the left of that, then FMS and one other group I can't remember in the field closest to VG2.

Though as always this stuff can potentially change year to year based on what fields are available.

Yes could change. I’ll be driving so I guess/hope I’ll be in purple parking which is ideal ?

Year 4 for me litterpicking this year - didn't even try for a punter's ticket. 

I'm working at Tandem Festival in Oxfordshire till the end of Sunday, then heading down to Castle Cary on the train on Monday morning, hope to be pitched up and on the beer in Tom's Bar by 4pm, catching up with old friends. Tuesday is The Day of the Epic Wander, enjoying the rare and blessed privilege of the site before everyone arrives, then 8am on Wednesday I'll wake up to the sound of the roar of sheer joy as the gates open and we build the city all over again, and I'll head down to wander around - I have one of 'those faces' that means I always get asked for directions, so I'll spend most of Wednesday morning directing lost people. I love it!

I have a question: oxfam/festaff etc are camped just outside gate b, right? I guess we get an EPO wristband etc but do we access the site via the normal gates or is there a staff access point up there? I’m just thinking about Wednesday morning and trying to bung up a tent for my mates first thing. Well, that and to watch the crowds as they come in and leg it for the best camping spot, I bet it’s good entertainment! 

• Upvote 1

Yes, you should get an EPO band when you register on the Monday/Tuesday so you'll be all wristbanded up and able to skip the queues on Wednesday if you want - re-entry is a separate lane.

Regarding gates - it's difficult to give a good answer as things change based on current demand. But generally speaking - there is theoretically supposed to be a site lockdown on the Tuesday night / Wednesday morning with all except a couple of gates closed prior to public opening. If that's in effect, you may get sent through VG2 to keep you away from the public. I say theoretically, because I've never seen it first hand despite going through the gates when it was supposed to have already been in effect. If the gates are open (and before lockdown), then yes, you're supposed to use the normal pedestrian gates as much as possible (sometimes you may need to walk through a vehicle gate to access your shift location).

While people definitely do what you're suggesting, remember that if someone notices that you're working for someone supposed to be camped outside the fence and are leaving your staff campsite / going through the gate with a tent first thing wednesday, it may arouse some suspicion and you might get pulled aside to be double checked.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, balti-pie said:

I have a question: oxfam/festaff etc are camped just outside gate b, right? I guess we get an EPO wristband etc but do we access the site via the normal gates or is there a staff access point up there? I’m just thinking about Wednesday morning and trying to bung up a tent for my mates first thing. Well, that and to watch the crowds as they come in and leg it for the best camping spot, I bet it’s good entertainment! 

That does sound like a good watch with a ?  and a ? 

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 5:37 AM, glasto-worker said:

@glasto-worker thank you thank you thank you thank you, you have made my day with this post .... the pictures and even more so the article about the Goose hall catering - its the little snippets of info that make it all even more thrilling :-)

12 hours ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

Year 4 for me litterpicking this year - didn't even try for a punter's ticket. 

I'm working at Tandem Festival in Oxfordshire till the end of Sunday, then heading down to Castle Cary on the train on Monday morning, hope to be pitched up and on the beer in Tom's Bar by 4pm, catching up with old friends. Tuesday is The Day of the Epic Wander, enjoying the rare ad blessed privilege of the site before everyone arrives, then 8am on Wednesday I'll wake up to the sound of the roar of sheer joy as the gates open and we build the city all over again, and I'll head down to wander around - I have one of 'those faces' that means I always get asked for directions, so I'll spend most of Wednesday morning directing lost people. I love it!

Sounds perfect, and if I see you while you are on your epic wander I'll come say hi (cue random fairy running up to say hi ) - I think I'll be epically wandering too

5 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

@glasto-worker thank you thank you thank you thank you, you have made my day with this post .... the pictures and even more so the article about the Goose hall catering - its the little snippets of info that make it all even more thrilling :-)

I knew you would like to see it - Goose Hall is interesting - The WBC has their own catering so I have never been in Goose Hall - if you hunt in Chat for ' bin painting ' there has been some interesting posts over the years.

1 minute ago, glasto-worker said:

I knew you would like to see it - Goose Hall is interesting - The WBC has their own catering so I have never been in Goose Hall - if you hunt in Chat for ' bin painting ' there has been some interesting posts over the years.

I enjoyed it to like most of your posts ...thanks :) 

On 2/12/2019 at 7:31 PM, dondo said:

Back for 6th year on recycling crew this year. 

Hoping for pre-festival shifts if I'm lucky. Get an interesting perspective on the site before it's open to the public 

Hi, I’m a newbie to recycling and volunteering this year and can’t believe how excited I am to be a) arriving Monday and b) picking up other people’s shit but I digress; do you know if there is any chance of getting a trailer tent into Toms field or if there’s a separate area for them?  Have a feeling I know the answer, but as a veteran you may know something else?  Ta ?

11 minutes ago, NellyPS said:

Hi, I’m a newbie to recycling and volunteering this year and can’t believe how excited I am to be a) arriving Monday and b) picking up other people’s shit but I digress; do you know if there is any chance of getting a trailer tent into Toms field or if there’s a separate area for them?  Have a feeling I know the answer, but as a veteran you may know something else?  Ta ?

I have only been there once but coming back for this year hopefully but I have only notice tents in the part of the field where I camped opposite the showers. Toms field is on a bit of an incline anyway. it would be a bit of a slog to push the trailer tent all that way anyhow.Having said that there must be some of the crew who are in camper vans and caravans somewhere. Poss e mail the office but not at the moment as she is possibly up to her eyes in it.

39 minutes ago, NellyPS said:

The offcial line is;

Crew camping areas are for tents only - caravans, camper vans and cars are not permitted

Trailer tents seem to be a grey area! Getting it on site would be the issue as you'd need a vehicle pass and I doubt they will allow it- you can but ask!!

• Upvote 1

Going for the first time as a punter this year but last two times I went in 2014 & 2015 I volunteered with Festaff. First year I did stewarding on Worthy View and 2nd year I did wristbanding on Gate A(?). 

First year I was very lucky to get a double shift on Wednesday and single morning shift on Thursday meaning I had the whole weekend to enjoy the festivities. 2nd year I only missed Friday morning of the weekend & they can be flexible with your shifts if you get in early.

Stewarding was more interesting as you get to chat to the punters, show them to their tents etc and help out with other queries but more tiresome than the wristbanding as you're constantly trudging back and forth. Both are fine really, quite straight forward jobs.

Really cool the extra perks you get doing volunteering like seperate camping, hot showers, meeting friends, access to the staff bars on site, discount food at some food stalls...

One of my favourites is just being able to wander through the park before everyone else. It's a beautiful experience, especially at night with all the lights on. Just breathtaking.

Only one downside about volunteering is the fatigue. Bare in mind you're working for 24 hours, and then going off to explore the whole festival site. So you may need to think about having a fair amount of caffeine & carbs to keep energy levels up.

2 hours ago, NellyPS said:

Following on from what LeeHC said it could be tricky.

My team leader in 2016 had her caravan on site but here and her husband were long time workers and I believe that her husband needed to be on site well before so was able to get it up in Tom's field.  Other people I know who take their campervan have to park it in the normal campervan fields and then walk from there to where they are working.  They are veterans too.

So I think probably a no but as LeeHC says no harm in asking.

• Upvote 1

On 2/17/2019 at 10:42 PM, balti-pie said:

I did this for some friends in 2017. Mary's gate is your best bet. 

• Upvote 1