The Volunteering thread 2019

FestiZebra

3 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

For anyone who it was their first year of volunteering, would you volunteer again ? As a first choice or only if not successful in ticket sale ? And would you volunteer for the same organisation / role ?

I've worked for Oxfam before but never at Glastonbury and I think I'd do it again as a preferred option over getting a ticket.   I had such a good time on the Monday and Tuesday around the site and partying in the various crew bars with my best mate who was also working FMS.

I got lucky with my shifts tho and the only one that was really tough was leaving all my other mates and going off to do my night shift.   But in hindsight, the shift just allowed me to push the pause button on getting too messy!

The crew showers and having a super safe campsite was also a bonus.

17 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

For anyone who it was their first year of volunteering, would you volunteer again ? As a first choice or only if not successful in ticket sale ? And would you volunteer for the same organisation / role ?

First time and I wouldn’t do it again personally. I realise now that I need to just accept if I don’t get tickets it’s not meant to be. Had we had some of the shift patterns discussed above I’d probably be giving you a different answer, but getting Friday night and all of Sunday was really rubbish for us. IMO you do you alright if you have the morning shift on one of the music days and can get rid of the day or night shift early on instead. If you can compromise and just be glad you’re there then it’s great - but you have to be prepared to run that risk and miss a fair bit of music if you’re unlucky 

4 hours ago, liame said:

Who do you volunteer with? I would be quite keen for early morning litterpicking if I didn't get a ticket next year!

I volunteer with a charity - we're a small team of 20 and it's usually the same people each year.  Groups like Shelter, Kiota, Bhopal etc. take lots and lots of volunteers; best thing is to apply direct.

Edited by pie_and_a_pint
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Did Oxfam for the first time and would do it again if mates were volunteering with me as you can register to do the same shift times with them.  I can live with a few missed acts.

7 minutes ago, March Hare said:

Did Oxfam for the first time and would do it again if mates were volunteering with me as you can register to do the same shift times with them.  I can live with a few missed acts.

That’s fair enough, but living with missing ‘a few’ acts/one act or two (as you have previously stated) could be a bit misleading. People have to seriously consider if they’d be prepared to miss 2 headliners and a whole day of music. If you are then happy days it’s perfect for you. 

The problem is also compounded by the fact that if you are on the worst shift pattern, the whole shift swap board is full of your shift pattern. So the shift swap doesn’t really work because there’s no one that will take your shifts - instead there’s just dozens of people trying to also get rid of your pattern. We engaged in loads of talks with people wanting to swap - but none would swap for ours. 

• Upvote 1

It was my first time volunteering for Oxfam at Glastonbury and I would absolutely do it again, but I was super lucky and got the A shift pattern which was 2/3rd over with before Friday started.  I think even on the pants shift pattern I still would've preferred that over not going.  I don't really go to glastonbury for the band's anyway, it's the whole festival, the wandering and the random things that make it for me.

53 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

First time volunteering this year and would do it again next year in preference to paying. I was reasonably happy with my shifts this year, but had to do a Saturday night shift which hurt. The other two shifts were Thursday and Monday. Staff showers and secure camping just behind JPT with the chance to explore and party on Monday and Tuesday were a bonus 

I agree @mikegday .  I posted the shift patterns to help facilitate that decision making- it could be a deal breaker. I could have missed more acts than I did and still had a good time. But that’s a personal choice. You’ve got to look at the shift patterns and ask yourself “if I got the worst case scenario would it still be worth it?”.

18 minutes ago, March Hare said:

I agree @mikegday .  I posted the shift patterns to help facilitate that decision making- it could be a deal breaker. I could have missed more acts than I did and still had a good time. But that’s a personal choice. You’ve got to look at the shift patterns and ask yourself “if I got the worst case scenario would it still be worth it?”.

Oh ye defo, don’t get me wrong we both had an absolutely amazing time, it’s still Glastonbury! But we were gutted with our shift pattern and it definitely did have an impact. It would be devastating to miss it. I guess that’s why we volunteered this time around to make sure we didn’t totally miss out. I’m just praying that we get tickets this time around because like I say knowing there’s a risk of getting the same pattern I think we’d suck it up and accept our luck is out in future. Even though that would pain me! 

14 minutes ago, mikegday said:

Oh ye defo, don’t get me wrong we both had an absolutely amazing time, it’s still Glastonbury! But we were gutted with our shift pattern and it definitely did have an impact. It would be devastating to miss it. I guess that’s why we volunteered this time around to make sure we didn’t totally miss out. I’m just praying that we get tickets this time around because like I say knowing there’s a risk of getting the same pattern I think we’d suck it up and accept our luck is out in future. Even though that would pain me! 

And I’m biased. Missed out on coach sale, general sale and the two resales. Also I try to set my days up to peak in the SE corner.

Edited by March Hare

4 hours ago, giantkatestacks said:

You can apply directly via the website for litterpicking, lots of us work for charities but they are a closed shop often (my team was all returners).

2 hours ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

I volunteer with a charity - we're a small team of 20 and it's usually the same people each year.  Groups like Shelter, Kiota, Bhopal etc. take lots and lots of volunteers; best thing is to apply direct.

Thanks for the info. I’ve seen some charities were asking for applicants last November so i’ll keep my eyes peeled!

Have to be there no matter what! 

12 hours ago, liame said:

Thanks for the info. I’ve seen some charities were asking for applicants last November so i’ll keep my eyes peeled!

Have to be there no matter what! 

Yes my application and deposit is often done and dusted well before ticket day. We have to commit to doing it rather than missing out on tickets and then applying.

Edited by giantkatestacks

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/9/2019 at 11:19 AM, Smash1984 said:

Can any previous volunteers help with this question. If I am lucky enough to get a volunteer ticket (i.e oxfam) do you have to camp in their specific area? Could I camp with friends for example elsewhere?

Thank you in advance

Yes crews have to camp in their own areas. 

Although, if you happen to sleep in your friends tent elsewhere, for example, the won’t sent the Oxfam police out looking for you! 

6 hours ago, Hidayat.a said:

Hi guys,

We are students from Imperial College London, who are currently doing research on voluntary activities in the UK. We would be grateful if you could take a minute to fill this short survey below:

https://imperial.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_cTpKhfoEsZNh9Ix

Thank you very much!

so is this genuine or is it a advert for Riding for the Disabled Association ?

sorry I just cant work out why you asked for ' festival volunteers ' and then all of a sudden its all about Horses  

by the way re ' How effective are the following channels in informing you about volunteering opportunities? (Please rank, with 1 being the most effective) '

does not work - I am using Chrome and it would not allow me to change the ranking so ' what you are seeing is bollocks on that question.

by the way why did you not use the full name ' Imperial College Business School ' ? - I have to wonder if you have ever been to Glastonbury.

The school's vision is "to benefit global business and improve society through the power of innovative thinking.The school's thought leadership is sought by governments, policy-makers, and global business leaders. The university inspires brilliant and ambitious minds to be the world’s future leaders of business and society.

which may explain why you did not use the full name 

That questionnaire had nothing to do with festival volunteering.

AAAAAImageyuytrreed1.thumb.jpg.063b0125dcfda5af5ee4c4f98bba3540.jpg